I have been looking for a good amp for getting an extreme metal but also chuggy tone. Bands like Strapping Young Lad, Meshuggah, ect. I have a blackstar Ht 5 But i'm thinking of selling it and upgrading because it's not giving me the tones I am looking for. I have been looking into Mesa Boogie recently and am stuck between getting a mini rectifier head + Cab or just getting the Rectoverb 25 combo amp. Basically i'm asking does anybody have either of those set ups and do I need to go the route of the rectoverb 25 head + cab or is the Rectoverb 25 combo just as good for what i'm looking for? Thanks.
Last edited by tsuzu01 at Aug 28, 2016,
Free bump day

I have an older Rectoverb 50 head and I really like it for what it is.

I have not played the mini Rec.

Here is just my general consensus on this basic question. Neither.

Why?

I don't like mini amps. I think mini tends to lend itself to smaller transformers. That said, there are really good clips out there of the mini Rec and lots of people that like it and people that are shocked at how big it sounds even if it does have smaller trannies. You need to investigate this further and possibly play one.

I don't like combo amps. I think combo amps (for me) lend themselves to too much interaction between tubes and speakers and they are harder to work on and harder to carry. I know there are those out there that will disagree with that but that is just my take. I like separate heads and cabs.

So long story short - I would get the Recotverb head and separate cab. Don't forget about 2x12 cabs either. They can actually be more punchier if set up right and arguably tighter. 4x12s are fun too though.

Also, there are other amps out there so with a bit more information we might be able to help you further. I got my Rectoverb used for $500 and my Traditional Rectifier cab for like $475.
not sure what budget you are looking at but a nice used 50W rectifier or rectoverb head probably would fit right into it and you will get the benefits of the larger amp - bigger transformers, more headroom, and also 6L6 power tubes as opposed to EL-84s, which to me offer more thump if you are looking for high gain
Not too familiar with Stapling Young Lad but I'm not sure a Recto is what I would go for if I wanted Meshuggah sounds. It could probably do it with a boost but there are definitely others that Id go for first (6505s and the Egnater Vengeance come to mind)
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Not too familiar with Stapling Young Lad but I'm not sure a Recto is what I would go for if I wanted Meshuggah sounds. It could probably do it with a boost but there are definitely others that Id go for first (6505s and the Egnater Vengeance come to mind)

Why is that? I actually think they used Mesa Boogies before they started using AxeFX. At least in the studio. Their distortion sound (along with SYL) have sort of a looser sound to me anyway. Loser than say Mastadon. I would think an unboosted Rectifier would actually be the way to go

6505 and Vengeance certainly are not bad recs.

TS - need some more info if you come back. This can only be done with a conversation. Hard to answer your question straight away.

Here is some SYL if interested. Similar to Meshuggah - at least guitar wise

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Why is that? I actually think they used Mesa Boogies before they started using AxeFX. At least in the studio. Their distortion sound (along with SYL) have sort of a looser sound to me anyway. Loser than say Mastadon. I would think an unboosted Rectifier would actually be the way to go

6505 and Vengeance certainly are not bad recs.

TS - need some more info if you come back. This can only be done with a conversation. Hard to answer your question straight away.

Here is some SYL if interested. Similar to Meshuggah - at least guitar wise

Interesting, I'd always heard about Meshuggah using Vettas and the Axe, and they're sound (from the little I've heard) has always been hella tight. Good stuff to know though

That SYL.... Don't know if it's for me
I have Mini Recto and like it a lot, especially for recording. Live it is not as thunderous as the big one but it translates great on record and sounds awesome on my amateur practices, it is powerful to cut above a drummer if that's what you're asking.
Rectoverb would be fine as well - the preference here is whether you want to have a combo or separate speaker and amp head.
Quote by diabolical
Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with anything Mesa

I don't know if I'd go THAT far, but point taken. I'd love a whack at a Mini Rec, see how it stands up to the old 2 channel...
Quote by dementiacaptain
I don't know if I'd go THAT far, but point taken. I'd love a whack at a Mini Rec, see how it stands up to the old 2 channel...

Only one amp I hated was the Triple Rec but it might've been more based on the bands that were using them at the time
Seriously though, I can always find room in my studio for another Mesa, so far I've loved pretty much everything they've put on the market for different reasons, but they're all solid products.
They sure don't make many duds. The Nomads come to mind. The few I've played just weren't it, but I know folks who really like them. I'd like to try out a Heartbreaker, they always seemed like cool amps.

I will admit that out of the four I've owned, not a single one disappointed when it came to tone.
I have a mini rec great amp. Loud enough to play along with a punk drummer.
🍗🎹🎶🎼🎧🎤🎮👾🎸🎨🎷⚽️🎱🏁🎺🎻🍮🍰🍪📱👻🐔🐣🐥🐤🐽🐷💀👽💩💸🚽👻
Quote by dementiacaptain

IMO, the Rectoverb 25 holds it's own against a 2 channel. It's not going to sound as big, but that is to be expected. I slaved the Rectoverb's preamp into my Roadster's effects return and I can get the preamps to sound identical.

For the music mentioned, I'd recommend the closed back cab. The combo favours a crunchier, more old school. A closed back cab will sound more modern, punchier, better for chugging.

Quote by some_dude_2
IMO, the Rectoverb 25 holds it's own against a 2 channel. It's not going to sound as big, but that is to be expected. I slaved the Rectoverb's preamp into my Roadster's effects return and I can get the preamps to sound identical.

For the music mentioned, I'd recommend the closed back cab. The combo favours a crunchier, more old school. A closed back cab will sound more modern, punchier, better for chugging.

Damn that's a lot of tone in that room! I figure you aren't going to get a huge sound out of a little baby EL84 power section, but knowing the preamp is right there is good.

I really have been eye-balling some Rectoverb 25s. Especially the ones with the silver grill cloth.
The EL84 power section sounds pretty good. I didn't pay much attention to the Mini-Rectos at first because I thought they'd just sound smaller and weaker, but they're pretty cool in their own way. A lot of punch and I really dig the midrange response. Although they don't do the big low end of the Dual/Triple, I don't find it lacking in low end response. Its actually a little more balanced, which some may appreciate.
I like to think of it as the EL84 bark. I can see the whole thing about balance. I still think it would cool to do an amp like that but with 6V6s. I love those chubby little tubes
Quote by dementiacaptain
They sure don't make many duds. The Nomads come to mind. The few I've played just weren't it, but I know folks who really like them. I'd like to try out a Heartbreaker, they always seemed like cool amps.

I will admit that out of the four I've owned, not a single one disappointed when it came to tone.

I fell in love with the Nomad first time I tried one, and the one I ended up getting sounded just as good. They have a strange tone section though, you probably shouldn't have to read the manual to understand how to dial a tone in.
Quote by luke.g.henderso
I fell in love with the Nomad first time I tried one, and the one I ended up getting sounded just as good. They have a strange tone section though, you probably shouldn't have to read the manual to understand how to dial a tone in.

I've come to accept that any Mesa I get ill have to read the manual not a problem though, there's are actually fairly easy to digest and at their best humorous.
dementiacaptain
The Nomad manual is basically "leave everything near 12 o'clock unless you want to spend an hour tweaking". It does provide a lot of example tones though.
The two main complaints I read about them are the tone, and build quality. Tone is obviously subjective, and as suggested not easy to dial in. But I never had problems build-wise.

I think Mesa amps are like Fender amps, pretty much every model has at least one great sound in it.