Hey there, I just ordered a Marshall JVM 210h in mint condition for $800. Few questions about the amp. First, I am considering selling it for a profit instead of keeping it, think I could get 1100-1200 for it? Second, I bought a new dsl100h from gc to compare, I haven't gotten the jvm yet (usps delayed it by at least a week) but how does the tome compare? I like the totally separate eq's and the footswitch. I was thinking about modding it for a more classic tone (I read it was very modern) but not sure what I could do. This is my first tube amp and I don't play live or anything like that. I play mostly classic rock and some aternative. I also got a 1960 lead cab thinking if putting in two hellatone 60's in an x parrern.
Free bump day

The simple answer is to just play the JVM and the DSL and make a decision.

I'm not a big fan of the JVM and prefer the DSL tonally. Your question on whether or not to mod was little confusing. Which amp? Both amps can get satisfactory 'classic' tones without modding. And if you are worried about modding an amp this quickly out of the gate then maybe you are buying the wrong amps. Just saying. I personally would not want to touch anything inside a JVM. Look at some gut shots of one and you'll see what I mean. Don't buy a JVM just to mod it. There are tons of tones available in the JVM as is. Clean, Classic, Crunch, Modern, etc. Do you like the distortion it provides is the question. Buying a JVM just to flip it is not a bad idea as long as you can cover your time, effort, shipping etc. Sometimes just dealing with all the jacks on craigslist or forums is enough to not make it worth it to me. I am assuming the DSL is a new one and the general consensous there is that they are not as good as the old ones. I only played the new DSL for maybe 15 minutes and I thought it was pretty decent.

I bet you can find a better amp in the used market though. A used Splawn Quick Rod for around $1,100 will kill either the DSL or the JVM IMO.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Free bump day

The simple answer is to just play the JVM and the DSL and make a decision.

I'm not a big fan of the JVM and prefer the DSL tonally. Your question on whether or not to mod was little confusing. Which amp? Both amps can get satisfactory 'classic' tones without modding. And if you are worried about modding an amp this quickly out of the gate then maybe you are buying the wrong amps. Just saying. I personally would not want to touch anything inside a JVM. Look at some gut shots of one and you'll see what I mean. Don't buy a JVM just to mod it. There are tons of tones available in the JVM as is. Clean, Classic, Crunch, Modern, etc. Do you like the distortion it provides is the question. Buying a JVM just to flip it is not a bad idea as long as you can cover your time, effort, shipping etc. Sometimes just dealing with all the jacks on craigslist or forums is enough to not make it worth it to me. I am assuming the DSL is a new one and the general consensous there is that they are not as good as the old ones. I only played the new DSL for maybe 15 minutes and I thought it was pretty decent.

I bet you can find a better amp in the used market though. A used Splawn Quick Rod for around $1,100 will kill either the DSL or the JVM IMO.

i am in agreement with 311.

if you are buying an amp planning to mod it from the get-go, most of the time you should look elsewhere.

there are a shrinking number of amps that i would consider buying to mod.

again, same as 311, i prefer the DSL to the JVM. i would take either of my splawns over either any day. total different level of product entirely.

also i agree that the CL shit is sometimes not worth it. especially for $100, shit that is gas, time, and frustration. i value my time and sanity over a $100 flip. that is me though. shipping big things on reverb sucks too, as you are going to be spending probably >$80 to ship the damn thing. also ebay's sellers fees are 10% fuck that, there goes your profit. and shipping.

but the only thing i can see is that YOU need to find what YOU like.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I definitely not planning on modding anything. I had just read online about how people mod it from the getgo and prefer it, I was just curious what they do. How much you think I could get for the JVM? As I see they usually go for around $1100, I was thinking maybe even taking it to a guitar store or possibly gc.
Quote by wellmandellie
I definitely not planning on modding anything. I had just read online about how people mod it from the getgo and prefer it, I was just curious what they do. How much you think I could get for the JVM? As I see they usually go for around $1100, I was thinking maybe even taking it to a guitar store or possibly gc.

i don't know why somebody would want something modded if they don't know what it sounds like first. common sense to me.

if they go for $1100, is that the ASKING price, or the SELLING price?

guitarcenter probably wouldn't give you over $500 for it. they usually seem to pay 1/3 the new price. having said that, i have never and will never sell shit to GC.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/