Hello,

Recently bought a Ibanez SIR70fd, its a nice guitar, however I like the action nice and low, when it is, I get buzzing on the lower frets on all strings, and I have to raise it quite alot to get rid of the buzzing all together.

Can I have low action and no buzzing?

Would I need to tweak the truss rod?

Thanks
Well, yeah if its in the lower frets, chances are your neck is pin straight. Loosen the truss 1/8-1/4 turn and see what happens after it fully adjusts. That's the easiest thing to try.
Yes, that is symptomatic of a neck that is a little too straight. When I've adjusted relief, I lean on the neck to help it go in the right direction. When trying for a low action it is a fine balance between have the neck too straight and having the low frets buzz or having too much relief and having the high frets buzz. If you get it just right on a good neck, you can actually get the action lower at the high frets that, say, the 14th fret.

Are the open strings also buzzing?
Last edited by Tony Done at Aug 28, 2016,
Thanks for the replies.

Not as much, ive got the action high at the moment to stop any buzzing but its far to high for me.

If I loosen the truss it will make the neck dip in the middle and higher at the ends?

Thanks again
You can measure your neck relief and I would suggest doing that. Put a capo on the 1st fret and press down the 17th fret of your low E string and measure the gap between the 8th fret and the string. If there is no gap, loosen the truss rod. There should be a small gap, something like 0.3mm. But if there already is a gap, then the problem is caused by something else. But I'm pretty sure it's the neck relief.

In the future I would not suggest doing any adjustments to your guitar before you know what's causing the problem. Take measurements. Look at the setup guide http://www.ibanez.com/world/manual/guitars/Maintenance.pdf. If the action is not much lower than what's recommended, then you should not touch the bridge. If the neck relief is fine, then you should not touch the truss rod. Starting to mess around with stuff without knowing what you are doing is just going to cause more problems.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Aug 29, 2016,
Thanks very much for the reply.

I have loosened the truss very slightly, approx 1/8th of a turn, it turned easily, I've kept the strings on while I've done this, is that ok? Or do they need to be removed?
Last edited by gravyYelp at Aug 29, 2016,
You need the strings on so that you have working tension, also make sure its tuned up.
Quote by gravyYelp
Thanks very much for the reply.

I have loosened the truss very slightly, approx 1/8th of a turn, it turned easily, I've kept the strings on while I've done this, is that ok? Or do they need to be removed?

Keep the strings on and check the tuning after you have adjusted the truss rod (because string tension also affects the neck relief). You most likely need to loosen it more than just an 1/8 of a turn. I don't think truss rod adjustment is something you should be too worried about. You won't break anything if you don't use force or turn it too much. Just remember to take measurements after each time you turn the truss rod and you should be fine.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115