I've been using D'Addario 11s in drop c since last november (2015), by now, the three higher (FAD) strings have turned kind of a dark color (not that they're popping out of tune constantly).

Does this mean it's time to change strings? What strings should I change to? Should I stay D'Addario, or should I try "Elixer: coated strings"?
Gear:
- ESP LTD MH-50
- Strandberg OS 7
- A cheap fender strat knock-off not worth naming
- Garageband
- Boss GT-1
- Potato
If you have to ask, you probably should change them. Strings don't cost a lot, so I like to change them frequently. If you were happy with them when you put them on, I'd stay with the same set. If not, you could try a different weighted set (if the tension wasn't good for you) or the same weights but from a different brand. I personally use Elixirs or Ernie Balls, depending on what deal I can get on the Elixirs.
Yes!Change them immediately.
Why not try some different ones?It's good to try different brands to see which you like best.I always go back to D'addario's now but i've tried quite a few over the years.It's fun to try new things.
M8 if you have had your strings on for nearly a year I'm surprised the haven't totally rusted away.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
When you should change strings depends on how much you play, but almost a year with the same set of strings sounds a bit too much. I would suggest changing strings every two months, maybe even more frequently (depends on how much the sound of dead strings bothers you and how much you like the sound of fresh strings and also how much you play). If you want strings that last long, use Elixirs (they are a bit more expensive but I would say they are worth it).

The brand of the strings you should buy is about preferences. I would just try different brands. For a long time I used Ernie Balls but recently I have started using Elixirs.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
The problem is.. I can't tell the difference between old and new strings..

aside from that, my near 1 year old strings feel kind of difficult to play (difficult to shift from high and low frets, and doesn't feel smooth when doing vibratos)
Gear:
- ESP LTD MH-50
- Strandberg OS 7
- Garageband
- Boss GT-1
- Potato
it's time. mine rarely last more than a couple of months.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by Parac

You probably will when you change them this time ;-)
Quote by Parac

aside from that, my near 1 year old strings feel kind of difficult to play (difficult to shift from high and low frets, and doesn't feel smooth when doing vibratos)

Obviously you can, since you are describing the most important difference. Just change them, i change strings every two months or so. And it doesnt matter what ind you use, just get a set of daddarios, elexirs and earnie balls, and whatever brand there is in the store, and see what you like the most. It literally doesnt matter what kind of strings you use, as long as they feel good to you.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by Parac

See,You can tell the difference
I guarantee that you will hear quite a difference in sound when you change them.
Then just do it when they sound dull again in a month or two or if you snap one.
Quote by Parac

Does this mean it's time to change strings? What strings should I change to? Should I stay D'Addario, or should I try "Elixer: coated strings"?

These are the best I have found. They are not so bright as other new ones when new but last at least 3 times longer. (A year is a bit long to keep the same stings on!)
Quote by Parac

the roughness is a sign that you should switch now! rusted, worn-out strings will wear out the frets faster.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
A regular set of nothing-special strings is like $4. Change the strings.

Hell I change out like once a month.
Dude I change strings every week if I'm playing shows and practicing regularly. I couldn't imagine going 10 months with the same strings, even on a bass. And yeah, you said yourself that the high strings have turned a dark color. That means you can see the difference. And you may not think you can feel the difference, but that's only because you're used to your ancient strings. They've probably been in a state that most would consider "worn out" for half a year, at least. Feel new strings, and you'll know the difference immediately, unless you literally have no feeling in your fingers. Replace your strings regularly (at least once a month) for a while, and you'll get a feel for it, and start to know when they feel old.

Also, clean your fretboard real good while you have the strings off. New strings wear out faster than they should if you're immediately grinding them into the same gunk you accumulated wearing out the last set.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Parac Strings should be changed once every week to two weeks, if you play a lot. After a jam or gig, they need to be changed basically after every session.

If your income doesn't allow for that than you can make do, but if you have the money - change your strings.
Quote by reverb66
Parac Strings should be changed once every week to two weeks, if you play a lot. After a jam or gig, they need to be changed basically after every session.

If your income doesn't allow for that than you can make do, but if you have the money - change your strings.

Well, I'm a college student, just plugging my guitar into my computer and quietly playing songs in my dorm. I never been to a "gig" (what?)
I play somewhere around 30 minutes to 1.5hrs (if i have time).

I've heard of changing strings every now and then, but every week O_o
Gear:
- ESP LTD MH-50
- Strandberg OS 7
- Garageband
- Boss GT-1
- Potato
Quote by Parac
Well, I'm a college student, just plugging my guitar into my computer and quietly playing songs in my dorm. I never been to a "gig" (what?)
I play somewhere around 30 minutes to 1.5hrs (if i have time).

I've heard of changing strings every now and then, but every week O_o

Every week is exaggerated if you don't do any live shows.
If you play for 1 hour every day, you should replace the strings ~ every 2 months.
Parac they are dead...that not smooth feeling..is corrosion of the string due to sweat and dirt.. in your particular situation.. basically playing for yourself..you can let changing them slide...but if you ever get into a band situation where the sound becomes important..you will have to change them far more often...as yes.. as mentioned clean the fretboard also..
play well

wolf
Yeah, you definitely don't need to be changing them weekly. I do, when my band is gigging every weekend and practicing in between the gigs. You don't need to be doing that, but every month or so you really should. And, like I said, once you've changed them regularly a few times, you'll start to be able to feel when they need it.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6