Page 1 of 2
Let's appreciate alt-country, also known as Americana.

In the 1990s the term alternative country, paralleling alternative rock, began to be used to describe a diverse group of musicians and singers operating outside the traditions and industry of mainstream country music.[3] Many eschewed the increasingly polished production values and pop sensibilities of the Nashville-dominated industry for a more lo-fi sound, frequently infused with a strong punk and rock and roll aesthetic.[4] Lyrics may be bleak or socially aware, but also more heartfelt and less likely to use the clichés sometimes used by mainstream country musicians. In other respects, the musical styles of artists that fall within this genre often have little in common, ranging from traditional American folk music and bluegrass, through rockabilly and honky-tonk, to music that is indistinguishable from mainstream rock or country.[5] This already broad labeling has been further confused by alternative country artists disavowing the movement, mainstream artists declaring they are part of it, and retroactive claims that past or veteran musicians are alternative country. No Depression, the best-known magazine dedicated to the genre, declared that it covered "alternative-country music (whatever that is)".[6]

Alt-country people:

-Wilco
-Ryan Adams
-Whiskeytown
-Uncle Tupelo
-Robbie Fulks
-Band of Horses
-Kacey Musgraves
-Rolling Stones
-Sturgill Simpson
-Phosphorescent
-Sun Kil Moon
-Townes Van Zandt
-Lucinda Williams
-Gillian Welch
-Gram Parsons
-Flying Burrito Brothers
-John Prine

“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Gruntry?
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
ryan adams and wilco huu
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~

no one writes better short stories than Townes Van Zandt
No Drive By Truckers
No Two Cow Garage
No Tin Horn Prayer
No Slobberbone
No Armchair Martian
No Lucero
No Old 97's
No Drag the River

Jeez. You filthy normies. Keep your entry-level playlists off my Spotify.

OP even put the Rolling Stones.

Good gawd.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Aug 28, 2016,
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by JustRooster
No Drive By Truckers
No Two Cow Garage
No Tin Horn Prayer
No Slobberbone
No Armchair Martian
No Lucero
No Old 97's
No Drag the River

Good gawd.

you know i tried to pretend this post didnt bother me

but the hipster part of me is deeply ashamed of being such a fucking normie pleb
You coo', Primus. I played leads in a punk band and a country band at the same time a couple years ago. The genre blends really well.

Last edited by JustRooster at Aug 28, 2016,
The Lumineers

suspenders bro hmu
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by JustRooster
You coo', Primus. I played leads in a punk band and a country band at the same time a couple years ago. The genre blends really well.

wow this is super cool

thx roostie
None of those are alt country and none of them are Hank III.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
disgusting

Quote by theogonia777

oh fuck me how did i forget hank 3

No thanks I'm good.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by theogonia777

Hank III is the ultimate in entry level Alt Country. Kids with Black Flag Tattoos say they like Hank III to seem eclectic.
Quote by JustRooster
Hank III is the ultimate in entry level Alt Country. Kids with Black Flag Tattoos say they like Hank III to seem eclectic.

He's the best in alt country.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Hank III sucks tbh
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by theogonia777
He's the best in alt country.

Hardly.
Quote by JustRooster
Hardly.

jake pls
Hank 3 is kinda waCK but I always liked this song. Anybody know who the fiddle player is? Dude is incredible.
Hank III is a staple but far from the pinnacle.

Quote by JustRooster
No Drive By Truckers
No Two Cow Garage
No Tin Horn Prayer
No Slobberbone
No Armchair Martian
No Lucero
No Old 97's
No Drag the River

Good gawd.
i actually need to give Drag the River a try.

i love Chad Price in ALL.

i think the only alt country in my library is Meat Puppets or something.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Last edited by jakesmellspoo at Aug 30, 2016,
JustRooster

Jake. You know that alt country is supposed to still be country, right? Not just crappie indie rock with some hick lyrics or a bad hick accent or superficial use of hick instruments.
Quote by theogonia777
JustRooster

Jake. You know that alt country is supposed to still be country, right? Not just crappie indie rock with some hick lyrics or a bad hick accent or superficial use of hick instruments.

As if you're an authority on deciding what Country is? Get real. Everyone I listed plays country. If you want to talk about superficial applications, it's deciding the best person in the genre is one in the same as the first person that pops up on google when you search, "Alt Country."

Anyone who plays in any sort of Country or Alt Country band gets over Hank III pretty fast. I know, I've played in several and several I've played with feel the same. Country isn't about endless cliches and recycled themes over cowboy chords, which is what Hank III delivers. People who want the genre to come back as it existed in the 70's and 80's and look back at the music with rose-tinted glasses are just as bad as the Dad Rocker kids who post on Led Zeppelin videos with "Like if you're still listening in 2016!!!!" It's not good to not accept evolution in your genre. I'm sad that what it's become is the radio shit that is out there today, but to think the alternative needs to be so close to what it stemmed is regressive.

Mad that Alt Country sounds a little indie? Well, that's because it IS independent. Most big Country throughout history were owned, produced, and toured under labels that did all their distribution and promotion. It's hard to call country music these days a bunch of sellouts and realize that even the 'wild boys' of Country back in the day still had to answer to Nashville execs about what they were or weren't allowed to do. To get a bunch of mid-20 year olds to in a basement to play the music they love yet expect the sound to fit within the confines of what you've decided Alt Country is proves a fool's process.

Good Alt Country bands aren't trying for that label. They're basically just trying to be Country bands and got stuck with that crowd because they weren't commercial. That's the life-cycle of nearly all of those bands, just read their interview.

And you can keep your hipster ad hominem. It doesn't wear too well.
Last edited by JustRooster at Aug 30, 2016,
bradulator

I hope I didn't come off too strong on my original post in this thread. Your OP list was a great start
Quote by JustRooster
Good Alt Country bands aren't trying for that label. They're basically just trying to be Country bands

They're clearly either not trying hard or not succeeding then. The bands you have been posting are no more country than Luke Bryan and no more listenable. They just sound like every generic alt rock band ever with the added gimmick of trying to say that they're country. Avoiding clichés is nice, but if you take away this and that and that and this, what are you left with? Yeah, let's play country but we don't want to sound like Alan Jackson (who put out phenomenal tunes early in his career by the way) so we'll strip everything away until we're just an alternative rock band with some lyrics about shot guns and an accent that is about as authentic as Taylor Swift's or that Down Under Urban guy. You're just not alt country if you're not country to begin with.

It's the same with a lot of the middle-of-road, dime-a-dozen Celtic fusion bands out there. You end up with half-assed punk and alt rock bands that can't get by without the Irish shtick. Meanwhile they couldn't throw down as a proper punk or rock band and they can't do Irish trad well enough to make it on that front either. But because of the whole fusion gimmick people line up to check them out.
Alt country seems to be more upper middle class hipsters than a sound that genuinely originates from any sort of rural poverty.
Dirt poor white kids are more likely to be influenced by rap and/or rock than any sort of country music.

As I've said before, genre is stupid in this sort of context. It's only logical purpose is for advertising and spreading the word about something.
"If you like that artist, then you will like this other artist that is slightly different from it"
Page 1 of 2