Getting some new Solderless EMGs soon, I might put them in myself but scared I might mess something up because I'm not experienced with soldering, wires, and reading diagrams... nonetheless putting new EMGs in.

I've seen videos and diagrams and it appears you have to replace all of the pots in the guitar with the ones the EMGs come with.
Quote by bradenrrrrrr
Getting some new Solderless EMGs soon, I might put them in myself but scared I might mess something up because I'm not experienced with soldering, wires, and reading diagrams... nonetheless putting new EMGs in.
Why I prithee tell me, are you worried about learning to solder, when the wiring kit you can get for those EMGs, doesn't require soldering?

Quote by bradenrrrrrr
I've seen videos and diagrams and it appears you have to replace all of the pots in the guitar with the ones the EMGs come with.

Yes, and you also replace the guitar's output jack with a solderless version which is also included with the kit. So, no soldering, period.

I just pulled this off the web with a quick search: http://www.proaudioland.com/emg-solderless-wiring-kit-for-1-2-for-active-pickups.html?fee=1&fep=6891&utm_source=Google+Shopping&utm_medium=Shopping+Feed&utm_campaign=Product&_vsrefdom=adwords&gclid=CNO-74jT5c4CFVRZhgodCtIJdA

Obviously, you should be able to buy this at the same store where you plan to purchase the pickups. Everything should be, at least for the most part color coded. If not color coded, I'm sure the jacks and plugs are setup so they'll only connect one way.

The only damage you could possibly do is to wire the battery in dead backwards. Red is positive, black is negative, relax, man up, take this as a challenge, rather than an obstacle. And it probably wouldn't hurt to watch those videos another time or two, just to be sure you have it down...

As for how much a pro would charge, I have no idea. But if I were he, and I smelled the fear you're giving off, I'd soak you for all I could.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Aug 28, 2016,
Luckily for you, solderless EMG's won't require well...soldering!

They'll be a piece of cake to install - literally plug and play - Definitely a situation where I wouldn't take it to a tech.

As far as paying someone to install pickups the traditional way (with soldering) goes, it depends on your area/market. Where I live (a major city/metro, which probably makes it more expensive), it's typically $30-40 USD to have one pickup installed, or about $60-80 for a full set to be installed (more for 3 single coils, less for 2 humbuckers), depending on the tech/shop. It can definitely add up if you're a constant pickup swapper, or have multiple guitars you want to do pickup swaps with.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
I think I'll do it myself. It was only a 70$ guitar combo. Obviously I'm a newbie lol.
Doing it yourself is definitely better because you're getting more in touch with your guitar and learning things about it meanwhile.
Who needs shred when you've got rhythm guitar? :^)
Guitars:
Jackson King V (With a Wilde L500XL in the bridge)
Ibanez Iron Label RGIX27FEQM (7-string)
Ive never been particularly impressed with MY local GCs "tech"

Of course it varies place to place.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Well, you gotta start sometime.

Soldering is pretty easy, especially when you consider this isn't a tight, sensitive circuit board you're working on. It's a good skill to have in general.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
My tech would charge $30 and probably include a setup. He is cheap but good.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
My tech would charge $30 and probably include a setup. He is cheap but good.

Yeah, I've got a guy that's like that. He's so cheap that it's embarrassing and I always add $10-15 to what he quotes me, because he does truly exceptional work. As often as not I do it myself, but he's my go-to if I'm short on time, which is all too often.

I asked him once why he didn't charge more. His answer? "I don't need more."

Hard to argue with that.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by diabolical
I've used GC tech services and every time I've done so it has been a disaster. Learn to do it yourself or find an independent local guitar repair center and go there.

The people at my local GCs seem to change pretty often, so it's hard to develop a relationship or to trust that you know what THEY know. I'm sure there have been a few competent people through there on occasion, but I've also run into some scary bozos.
Now im not expert, buy my soderless emg set actually did require some soldering at the switch. There was no switch in the set, so i had to soder on the old one, and i think it was even said in the diagram that the switch always requires sodering?
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by Arby911
Yeah, I've got a guy that's like that. He's so cheap that it's embarrassing and I always add $10-15 to what he quotes me, because he does truly exceptional work. As often as not I do it myself, but he's my go-to if I'm short on time, which is all too often.

I asked him once why he didn't charge more. His answer? "I don't need more."

Hard to argue with that.

That guy is awesome.

I know a chap who does guitar work for me I cannot do myself and he charges very little for what are pretty tricky jobs. He gives me low prices because I'm a good customer of his shop.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend