I have a Sheraton II natural color that took a little water in the Louisiana flood. It was standing up right on a stand and only took about 6 inches on the bottom. I took the strings bridge pickups and pots off and cleaned them up altho it didn't look like they had any corrosion or damage. And I'm pretty sure the neck didn't get wet. I was curious if this guitar was worth salvaging, or if so what else can I do to help. It's currently hanging to dry inside my house.
You'll want to watch the seams pretty carefully down where the water soaked things. It's worth salvaging; you might want to toss some rice into the parts of the guitar that are wet. Fill it up, right to the tailpiece holes. That will help the drying process. Don't try to do anything else to it while it's drying. Once it's completely dried out you can evaluate it and go from there.
Seconding all that. I would also change the rice out periodically- and/or maybe use some of that silica gel desiccant. God only knows what was in the floodwaters besides water.

You won't know how the water affected the glue until the guitar is fully dried out. And even then, issues may develop after it's reassembled and the strings are put back on.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Do the best you can to dry it out. If the guitar falls apart after all that water damage, it would've done the same thing whether you made an effort to dry it out or not. You have nothing to lose by trying.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Thanks. I'll grab some rice today and we shall see what happens. It's already been claimed on insurance, but I'm really hoping to salvage it.
Be cool if you can save it.Be a proper blues machine with that Louisiana water in its soul.
Quote by EyeballPaul
Be cool if you can save it.Be a proper blues machine with that Louisiana water in its soul.

+1 nothing like a good honest story like this to give a guitar some Mojo!

If your lucky there will be some watermark stains remaining to prove it!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Aug 29, 2016,
Got that bad boy sitting in a tub of rice. I noticed when I got home today it was starting to have some mold growing in the wings. I found some powder mold control and mixed it with the rice and shook it around real good in there before I sat it in a tub full of rice.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Got the pots back in and her all strung up. Rice trick really dried her up. Plays great
Got the pots back in and her all strung up. Rice trick really dried her up. Plays great
Last edited by gsvar20041 at Aug 31, 2016,
Quote by gsvar20041

Good deal, now she's a keeper for sure!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

That's awesome!

Sweet!I wish it was mine.My sheraton doesn't have Louisiana blues water in it.I could go and dip it in a smelly English lake but i doubt it'd have the same effect.
Quote by EyeballPaul
Sweet!I wish it was mine.My sheraton doesn't have Louisiana blues water in it.I could go and dip it in a smelly English lake but i doubt it'd have the same effect.

Worked for Greeny and Clapton.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
My thoughts exactly.