https://soundcloud.com/corrosionmedia/will-we-fall-demo1/s-69ujo

Yeah, so I was playing Timesplitters 2 and listening to 'Addicted' and a couple of days later, this popped out.
Not sure where to go with this track after that chorusy bit at the end really. I mean, I could go for a poppy ababcb format, but I'm not overly happy with the 'verse' as it is.
Any ideas?

Gear used:
Fucked up Ibanez GAX30 with a Bareknuckle Juggernaut
Dingwall NG2
EZDrummer 2 (Metal! EZX)
Last edited by CorrosionMedia at Aug 30, 2016,
I'd say repeat your verse again, but instead of chugging rhythms try to get some of those crazy chorus+feedback single lines that devy does, like in Funeral.

Could try distorting and squashing then bass more to get it to really hold that bottom end, it's a bit lacking.

But it sounds boss already.
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale
the chemist Sounds like a good idea! I'll also give the bass a good thrashing once I get some new strings (I can't use my usual Elixirs because they don't come in a length long enough for the 37" of the Dingwall, annoyingly).

Also, here's a question;
Does the size I was aiming for in the chorus come across, or is it lacking or over the top? I was kinda aiming for Fighstar/Deftones with that.
Not overly, but I think I'm filling it in internally. It sounds like you just raised the level of the rhythm tracks. While it's adding some lift and power, I think you could do a lot better on layers in the chorus. Not saying it's bad by any means, but being a fan/user of the wall of sound mixing style has definitely given me a different look at impact and size.

I think some low strings/choir/pads would fill it in, or another set of guitar dubs. AS well, pendulum strum those chords instead of downpicking. Downpicking makes them more percussive, where the pendulum (or alt-picking, w/h you want to call it) would add some thickness as the guitar will wash about a bit.

I also think the guitars a bit too bright, which may be cutting the impact of them down as the listener will key into the highs before the lows. WoS on that chorus would add way more impact, but comes with the risk of muddiness.

As well, the drums need a bit more girth to them. Great samples, but they're lacking that raw punch that they need. Not bad by any means (again) but my preference is for snappier drums.
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale
Last edited by the chemist at Aug 30, 2016,
Quote by the chemist
Not overly, but I think I'm filling it in internally. It sounds like you just raised the level of the rhythm tracks. While it's adding some lift and power, I think you could do a lot better on layers in the chorus. Not saying it's bad by any means, but being a fan/user of the wall of sound mixing style has definitely given me a different look at impact and size.

I definitely know what you mean. So far it's a very crude mix, but there's 4 guitar tracks (2 standard rhythm, 2 harmonized octaves) and a basic strings type thing. Soundcloud's compression probably isn't helping also. I'm thinking about re-subscribing to EWQL though, because I'm starting to miss it! Oh the choirs...

I think some low strings/choir/pads would fill it in, or another set of guitar dubs. AS well, pendulum strum those chords instead of downpicking. Downpicking makes them more percussive, where the pendulum (or alt-picking, w/h you want to call it) would add some thickness as the guitar will wash about a bit.

What might be causing the percussiveness (I pendulum-strum naturally) is the fact that I was demoing it on old light strings (only 11-56 on a 24.75" in B!).

I also think the guitars a bit too bright, which may be cutting the impact of them down as the listener will key into the highs before the lows. WoS on that chorus would add way more impact, but comes with the risk of muddiness.

That could also be a factor. I tend to go for brighter tones because you can dull a bright tone down easier than you can brighten a dull tone.
Maybe layering in a fatter tone as a 3rd and 4th rhythm track might help...

As well, the drums need a bit more girth to them. Great samples, but they're lacking that raw punch that they need. Not bad by any means (again) but my preference is for snappier drums.

That was actually my mistake. I disable the EQ and bus compression when I'm working on it to help with ear fatigue and forgot to turn them back on!

Thanks for your feedback!
Last edited by CorrosionMedia at Aug 31, 2016,