I have a friend who is prepared to sell me a 4x12 orange cabinet alongside a peavey 6505+ at a really good price. However, I will mostly be playing at home and am concerned that the 120 watt amp head combined with the 4x12 will be somewhat unusable. I have heard that the 6505+ will be unable to achieve a proper tone at lower volumes. What is your input? Thank you for the advice. Ps: The walls in my house are extremely thick and my neighbors are also musicians; I'm mainly concerned with achieving a good tone and maintaining my hearing.
It seems a little extreme for home use, but you can work around it; there are options like pulling power tubes, getting an attenuator, connecting the preamp to a less powerful power amp, picking up a cheap small cabinet to use at home, etc.

But do you really need that rig if you're going to be mostly playing at home?
luke.g.henderso

I certainly don't need a rig that powerful for home use. That said, my friend is offering the gear at prices unmatched online. I was thinking about just buying the cabinet off him and pairing it with a less powerful peavey 6505 mh. What do you think about that idea for home practice? Still a bit too extreme?
I know your dilemma, awesome gear at a great price is hard to turn down. The 6505 MH would be good, although 4 12" speakers will still be pushing a lot of air, not to mention taking up a lot of space.

Like I said though, there are ways to "tame" the head for home use. But I would be more worried about the size and volume levels of the cab.
Quote by MarkCorriganJLB
I have heard that the 6505+ will be unable to achieve a proper tone at lower volumes. What is your input?

This misconception originates from the days when christ was a cowboy and there was no practical way to achieve high levels of gain without turning the amp to awfully high volumes. Those days are long gone. A 6505+ gets almost all of its distortion from the preamp, which means you can have the amp's master volume be as low as you want.

Speakers play a much bigger role overall for how something sounds at higher volumes over lower volumes than the amp does. What speakers are in the cabinet?

And when all is said and done, it is also worth pointing out that ALL amps sound better when they're louder because humans just like things being loud in general. Has nothing to do with the amp.
Quote by MarkCorriganJLB
luke.g.henderso
I certainly don't need a rig that powerful for home use. That said, my friend is offering the gear at prices unmatched online. I was thinking about just buying the cabinet off him and pairing it with a less powerful peavey 6505 mh. What do you think about that idea for home practice? Still a bit too extreme?

Again, this is another common misconception. Lower wattages don't make amps sound better at lower volumes. What it actually does is reduce your headroom and reduce the amp's ability to reproduce bass frequencies, an effect that's especially apparent at higher volumes.

The amp's wattage has relatively little to do with its volume. To get just a 3db gain in volume, you need to double the wattage. A 100 watt amp is only 3db louder than a 50 watt amp. a 25 watt amp is only 6db quieter than a 100 watt amp. In fact if you have a speaker like a Celestion Vintage 30, you only need 1 watt of power to drive the speaker to 100db. That's loud. You don't need higher wattages to achieve enough volume, but you do need it to reproduce bass at those volumes.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 29, 2016,
^ In other words just use the volume knob. I can use my 100W amp without waking the sleeping kids or I can cause permanent hearing damage - all with that volume knob.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
What TOODEEPBLUE said is spot-on. You will find the amp perfectly useable and be very happy with it if that's the tone you like. I run almost the same setup at home (4 X 12 with LOUD Eminence speakers, but a 60 Watt 6505+ head I converted from the 112 combo version). The difference between my 60 watter's ultimate volume and the 120 watt version's is negligible. They can both go way above and beyond what you'd need for any situation.

Yet, the tone sounds just fine when turned down. Granted, the volume knob on the 6505 series is very sensitive. Anywhere from .5 to .8 on the dial is probably useable without your neighbors hearing it. But from .8 to 1.2+ there is a very big volume jump. "2" is approaching gig volumes. So one thing I'd recommend (for more than one reason) is an EQ pedal in the loop; an MXR 10-band specifically. You can take the pedal's volume slider and turn it down low, and then have a much more customizable volume taper on the amp. You won't accidentally turn it up too loud by bumping it, for example. But the other reason for an EQ pedal is to help tailor your sound for lower volume playing. That's really the key to getting good tone at lower volumes -- recognizing that your settings should probably be different going from high volumes to low volumes. Namely, when I play quietly, I turn down the bass a bit more than usual, and actually turn up the gain and mids a tad. The louder I go, the more bass I can dial in, and I dial back the gain, and the mids start snarling so they can be backed off a hair too.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
I had a 100 watt Marshall with a 4x12 in my man cave and it was just ridiculous.I sold it pretty quick.That did'nt like being played at low volume at all.It sounded shit.I only once turned it up to 4 when everyone was out and that is definitely not practice volume in a house.
Buy it, as noted above it will work fine because it has a volume knob.

One thing that will help is to use the cab in stereo mode and only use one half of it. If you cut the number of speakers in half, you reduce the volume by 3 db, the same as halving the wattage.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Wouldn't he be better off with a smaller cab though? An Orange 4x12 just to play at home seems excessive, and huge.
Quote by luke.g.henderso
Wouldn't he be better off with a smaller cab though? An Orange 4x12 just to play at home seems excessive, and huge.

Define "better"?

He's already said he's getting a great deal on it, and he's not mentioned any space concerns, so I'd have to say that absent both of those considerations it's a moot point. As noted he can run it as a 2x12 for volume purposes, and 2x12's are perhaps the cabinet most often suggested here.
Charles Darwin
Arby911
Fair enough. I was just thinking of the practical issues like having to lug it up stairs, get it through doorways, fit it in the room, move stuff around to accommodate it, etc.

A great deal on something that isn't right for his needs might not turn out to be such a great deal after all. Just trying to make him aware.
Quote by luke.g.henderso
Arby911
Fair enough. I was just thinking of the practical issues like having to lug it up stairs, get it through doorways, fit it in the room, move stuff around to accommodate it, etc.

A great deal on something that isn't right for his needs might not turn out to be such a great deal after all. Just trying to make him aware.

Yeah, a 4x12 is a great mucking pain in the ass to move, but if you've got the space what the hell, they make pain pills for your back!

I'm actually looking for a great deal on a 4x12 right now, but it will be cut into two 2x12's before I ever play a note through it...
Charles Darwin
MarkCorriganJLBk
If you're ever thinking of gigging, or recording at a studio (rather than at home), then you will appreciate the 4x12.

Arby911
A specific 4x12, or anything decent for a good price?
Quote by luke.g.henderso
MarkCorriganJLBk
If you're ever thinking of gigging, or recording at a studio (rather than at home), then you will appreciate the 4x12.

Arby911
A specific 4x12, or anything decent for a good price?

Just a box. Too lazy to build one. Decent speakers a plus but not required.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Just a box. Too lazy to build one. Decent speakers a plus but not required.

Fair play :-)
Personally, I say go for it. Amps like the 6505 primarily get their distortion from the pre-amp, so it's going to sound good at virtually any volume level.

It's amps like old Marshalls that are pretty impractical for home use. I used to have a JCM 800 combo years ago, and I had to crank it to get a nice tone - Amazingly, the cops only showed up once while I had it .
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
The 6505 in particular always sounded pretty good at room volume. Other amps I've had (I'm looking at you, Rectifier) just didn't really start to shine until they were at loud TV volumes. I don't think you will have an issue with the rig you're talking about, you'll be able to get a GREAT sound long before your hearing is in danger.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.