hey guys,
i own a marshall G30 DCR which i really like, but it's a 30 watt amp and that's way too loud for my small apartment.
i wasn't aware that certain amps don't work well on lower volumes, but it really doesn't.. past a certain limit it just sounds crap.
so I'm looking for a small amp, like a practice amp, that would have a rich, marshall-ly sound and would "break" easily, meaning the speaker would get distorted and the sound would be at this "whole lotta love" stage of drive before the flat starts to rumble like it does with my current amp.
i do want good drive, so no fender 25r and all of that, and if possible it has to be kept at a budget similar to or close to my current amp. basically the cheaper the better. also if it IS in fact a marshall, id be really happy

thanks
It isn't that certain amps don't work well below a certain volume (which is largely, but not entirely, a myth...) but that your particular amp is...well...kind of a POS.

There are no low dollar Marshalls that are worth having.

Let's try this, and maybe we can help you.

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
It isn't that certain amps don't work well below a certain volume (which is largely, but not entirely, a myth...) but that your particular amp is...well...kind of a POS.

There are no low dollar Marshalls that are worth having.

From what I see, it seems like a lot of the "moar volumez" bit comes from how our ear hears inconsistently at different volumes (crank the bass at lower volumes), bad master volume controls, lack of power tube breakup, and people not knowing the difference between channel/preamp volumes and master volumes.

It looks like TS' budget is maybe $100-200 USD, but I cannot find much on his current amp for budget. The first amp that came to mind was a Marshall Class 5. The next was a Peavey Valveking, and/or a Jet City. Another option is a Fender Superchamp.

Another another option is a headphone modeler.
Last edited by Will Lane at Aug 29, 2016,
1) if you're in a small apartment - forget tube amps, even the low wattage ones will be too loud. If you set a tube amp at whisper quiet volumes you lose all the benefits of actually using a tube amp, which makes it pointless in my view.
2) get a small decent digital amp - like a Yamaha THR or a Roland Micro Cube something with a small speaker - you can't push any bass when you're in an apt. because that's what makes it through the walls - the smaller amps barely push any bass and you can get better tones and decent "perceived volumes" .

I think even a Class 5 Marshall will be way too loud for you if you're in a small apt.
Quote by reverb66
1) if you're in a small apartment - forget tube amps, even the low wattage ones will be too loud. If you set a tube amp at whisper quiet volumes you lose all the benefits of actually using a tube amp, which makes it pointless in my view.
2) get a small decent digital amp - like a Yamaha THR or a Roland Micro Cube something with a small speaker - you can't push any bass when you're in an apt. because that's what makes it through the walls - the smaller amps barely push any bass and you can get better tones and decent "perceived volumes" .

I think even a Class 5 Marshall will be way too loud for you if you're in a small apt.
I wouldn't say that. It is not like the tubes are taken out of the circuit at low volumes.
Quote by reverb66

Why do you believe that? With a Master volume tube amp (so almost all of them) you can still crank the preamp as hard as you want, giving the desired level of preamp tube distortion and keep the master at whatever output volume level is appropriate.

As with any amp, it's only as loud as you turn it up to.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Do you have somewhat decent computer speakers? You may be interested in just running amp simulations on the computer. Check out Peavey ReValver with a guitar to USB Cable. Starts at about a $20 investment with the cable.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Any tube amp with a master volume would do the trick, I've even used a 50 watter at bedroom volume with no problems. Tube amps without master volume sometimes tend to sound a bit weak at low volume, but will work, I've used my Super Reverb, 45 watts, at bedroom volume lots of times and it sounds fabulous. That was my main practice amp for 5 years or so I liked it so much at low volume. Finally went back to the Champ when I moved here.

My personal [preference is my trusty old Fender Champ, you don't get cranked tube amp sound at bedroom volume, but if I want that I Have a distortion pedal or three I can plug in. Usually keep one on the floor ready to go, all I have to do is plug the guitar in. I use that one with a battery so I keep it unplugged except when in use.

I also have a Fender Pro Jr, 15 watt amp, that does well as a practice amp, but same thing, totally clean at bedroom volume so I use a pedal. Fender Blues Jr is a master volume amp and sounds pretty good at low volume. I think some of the newer Fender Champ series amps do pretty well, but I haven't had a chance to really check them out thoroughly. Played a couple at a music store for 5 minutes or so, that's not a really good idea what they can do.

As far as solid state practice amps go, I've played several that had good sound for bedroom, where I'm not as picky as I am onstage, I've played Peavey, RMS and Gorilla practice amps, all did pretty well. All handled pedals well too and had decent distortion channels. I even opened one up and added external jacks for a speaker and footswitch so I could mic it and use it onstage. I see them every time I go to pawn shops usually $80 or less. Peavey and gorilla are my favorites. Peavey will hold up to roadie abuse forever and gorilla practice amps sound good, have a really mean distortion sound.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
A Bugera V-5 tube 8 inch amp. Has .01-1-5watt switch. Set at .01 and crank it great sound with low volume. $199.00. Very pretty to boot. Also gives you option to add a speaker cabinet. I use mine with a Bugera 212ST 2x12 crazy good. At 5 watts very loud. I pretty much run it at 1 watt big sound at comfortably volume.