I bought a Carvin off an old "hippie" friend of my wifes. He must have really played this bad boy the frets have valleys in them. Anyway Carvin Cobalt 980 is the whole name. Anyway that was two years ago, now the frets need to be changed because I played this bad boy alot aswell. I love this guitar, alittle too much haha. With new strings this thing sounds like a grand piano, the sound is so beautiful. I might be over selling it, but its a darn nice guitar. I left it in its case for a week and it was still in tune when I got home.

Any Carvin fans?
I'm a fan of all of the Carvin electric guitars I have played, but I've never put my hands on an acoustic.

Glad you found a good one
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
I'm a fan of all of the Carvin electric guitars I have played, but I've never put my hands on an acoustic....[ ]....
Their "Cobalt" line of acoustic guitars has been discontinued. And not that it really matters, they were imports, not made here in the US. (At least that's where I am).

I've lusted after having them build me a guitar for literally decades, but my indecisiveness has been that plan's undoing. Plus I'm poor, and cheap. Yes kidz, even too cheap for a Carvin. They kill you with the options. Although, it does appear that our TS, could have easily justified the expense of a stainless steel fret job.
the cobalt line were made in korea, as i recall, and have laminate backs and sides. i played a whole bunch of them as i used to hang out with the guys from the hollywood carvin store (now defunct). not the best sounding guitars around, and they were pricy for what they are when they were new, but if you love yours, that's the important thing.

if you're wondering, i'm not a carvin hater - far from it. over the years, i've owned a carvin electric guitar, carvin bass combo, guitar combo, 3 carvin bass heads (R600, R1000 and currently BX250) and 3 carvin bass cabs - an 18", a 15" and a 2x10". and during the time i hung out the store, i played every item they sold and helped sell some stuff to friends and even strangers. but their acoustic guitars just didn't do it for me, and i've played a LOT of acoustic guitars.

btw, every guitar i've every owned would stay in tune in the case for a week.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
...[ ]...btw, every guitar i've every owned would stay in tune in the case for a week.
At one point Carvin was bold enough to advertise,"guaranteed 1/16" action at the 12th fret" about electrics. Presumably, that would work out well for a player with a light to very light touch.. But, you have to assume, with all the nut jobs who play guitar poorly, they probably got too many back for "fret buzz", and have since dialed that claim back a smidgen.

Quote by DustyCarvin
....[ ]..... I love this guitar, alittle too much haha. With new strings this thing sounds like a grand piano, the sound is so beautiful....[ ] ...
Carvin's electric are damned fine guitars. They have a lot of options, and pretty much across the board are one of the best bangs for your buck in a US made instrument.

I can't comment on the "Cobalt" line up, never even seen one.

I will say loving an acoustic with new strings is sort of cheating. Even some of the poorest , all laminate guitars, (including laminated tops), sound great when they're first strung up, but the resonance goes away rapidly, just after that, "new string sound" wears off>

It brand new strings didn't lack so much bass, (or maybe it's masked by the brightness of bew strings), I'd be in the poorhouse buying boxes of stringseveryday. Plus, I'd never have very much time to play.. (Like I practice a lot now, right )..

In any case this is the normal sequence of resonance for acoustic guitars. (Worst (soonest) to best (all solid)

1: All laminate instruments. A lot of these are low end promotional stinkers. And as with things, some are much better than others.

2: Solid topped guitars. These are mainstream usually, and they'll stretch your string budget quite a bit farther.

#: All solid guitars, these have the best overall resonance of ahy of them. They'll won't stretch your string budget much at all, but generally, they're quite a lot more money to buy initially.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Aug 30, 2016,
I don't know Carvin guitars but it would seem they would be using solid tops if they value their reputation even a little bit. No doubt the guitar has some nice age on it. Go ahead and get a refret as long as it doesn't need fresh strings all the time.
I have a Fender acoustic that dies in a week.
I have a Yamaha that sounds great with the same strings after five years!
Last edited by skido13 at Aug 30, 2016,
skido13 I managed to find the whole line specs on Carvin's "Cobalt" guitars: If anybody, (our TS in particular) wants it as a souvenir, I suggest doing a screen capture on it: http://www.carvin.nl/guitarscobaltacoustic.htm

You never know when, or if, they'll clean house at their server and delete the out of date page.

BTW a quick look, suggests they are all solid top guitars, as does Patti.
Quote by Captaincranky
At one point Carvin was bold enough to advertise,"guaranteed 1/16" action at the 12th fret" about electrics. Presumably, that would work out well for a player with a light to very light touch.. But, you have to assume, with all the nut jobs who play guitar poorly, they probably got too many back for "fret buzz", and have since dialed that claim back a smidgen.

Actually, it was guaranteed action "as low as 1/16th" at the 24th fret with no buzzing frets." And they delivered. But that was for electrics. Their fretwork has really been good down through the years (I'm sure there are exceptions out there).

Worth noting that 4/64ths (1/16th") at the 12th fret is pretty common and standard with a lot of guitars.

As an aside, I'm at six Carvin guitars (all electric) and one bass at the moment.
Last edited by dspellman at Sep 1, 2016,
Quote by Captaincranky

I can't comment on the "Cobalt" line up, never even seen one.

The Cobalt line was their only "offshore" product -- they were reasonably priced acoustics built in Korea. They weren't *cheap* acoustics by any means, but I don't play acoustic enough to place them on a scale that would compare them to what's out there. There were two or three Carvin factory stores here in the LA area (one in Covina, one in Fountain Valley, one on Sunset across the street from the flagship Guitar Denter), and I played them there. My acoustics are either expensive-ish ('67 martin D35, Taylor 814ce) or cheap (Yamaha something or other, $150 new).
the sunset blvd store is where my buddies worked - i used to hang out there for many happy hours, playing all the basses and guitars and playing with the various amps, PAs and other toys. i remember the very first time i every walked into carvin after years of getting their catalogs, i was blown away by how much nicer their electric guitars and basses looked in person than in the pics. it was like walking into a candy store!
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Proud Carvin owner. Had the guys hook me up with a slightly unconventional design and its the best guitar I've ever played hands down.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
I know mine was made in korea. Original price was 900 US. I'm not super picky, it was one of those love at first play things. Hearing all the good things about the electric Carvin's make me want one now!

Mine is laminated, however its built solid. Sad to hear they stopped making acoustics. Best 300 (with hard case) I spent.
I leave my 9 to 5 job and now I am getting paid 97usd hourly. How? I work-over internet! My old work was making me miserable, so I was forced to try-something NEW. After two years, I can say my life is changed-completely for the better! Check it out what i do.....

visit This Site ------>>> http://www.E-cash10.com