Sort of a bass newb over here, but bear with me here.

I just got my own bass about 2 weeks ago (Squier Vintage Modified J Bass). It sounded great, and there were no problems when the tone and both pickups were turned all the way up.

I went to my cottage for a week, and took my bass and amp (Fender Rumble 25) with me. It still sounded just fine, until halfway through the week. It started making this weird underlying fuzz on any notes being hit hard enough (mostly the bottom string), making playing slap pretty annoying.

Now I'm back home, and of course, the fuzz is still there. But it's worse now, because there's a loud hum that comes with it. It's really annoying to play now.

The problem's there with headphones plugged in too. Both the hum and the strange fuzz go away when the bass is unplugged, or the tone is rolled all the way back. When rotating, there's a specific angle where the noise is reduced, and another where it's really loud. But the fuzz is there no matter what angle.

What's wrong with my bass? What can I do to fix the noise?
Last edited by PhatWeen at Aug 30, 2016,
UPDATE: I just tried messing around with the pickups a little. With the tone all the way up, rolling back the bridge pickup stops the weird fuzz. But naturally, the buzz gets louder with 1 pickup on. I'm assuming that's fromm the EMI, though I don't know why I'm getting it now but didn't get it before?

Is there internal damage on the bridge pickup/tone, or is it something that can be fixed from the outside?
Maybe a bad cable? Have you tried other cables? Also, if possible, try playing through a different amp and try a different bass through your amp (for example if you have friends that also play the bass).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Maybe a bad cable? Have you tried other cables? Also, if possible, try playing through a different amp and try a different bass through your amp (for example if you have friends that also play the bass).

I'm assuming it's a problem with my bass, considering the thing with the bridge pickup or tone rolled off. I'd rather have a friend over before wasting money on a repair that wasn't needed, although I don't have any friends who play bass, just guitar.

I'm about to set up in a different room, to see if at least the hum goes away. It's just curious that I didn't have the hum before but I do now. Just goes to show how great I am at life, killing something great within 2 weeks, woo...
UPDATE: The buzz has been dealt with. The fuzz, however, is still there. I'd show what it sounds like, but I don't have a 1/4 to 3.5mm. The fuzz is way more audible through headphones. Listening to it again, it's a really static-y noise. If I rotate it to a certain angle, the static goes insane. There's definitely something in the electronics of the bass. I'll get it checked at a local guitar store as soon as possible, unless it's a super easy fix with tools I actually have.
Bear in mind those are single coil pickups, so they might by a little hum-my. If it's not the cable I'd check under bridge to make sure the grounding wire is making contact like it should, and/or check under the pickguard to make sure it's not a shielding problem or a loose solder joint etc.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
Bear in mind those are single coil pickups, so they might by a little hum-my. If it's not the cable I'd check under bridge to make sure the grounding wire is making contact like it should, and/or check under the pickguard to make sure it's not a shielding problem or a loose solder joint etc.

Yeah, the hum 's been dealt with, I just set up in a different room.

The grounding wire was what I was thinking. I guess it fell over or something, not enough to make visual damage but slight internal damage.

I'm heading to my local music shop, which is where I got the bass. They do repairs, and since I've only had it for like a week and a half, hopefully there's still warranty?
Last edited by PhatWeen at Sep 1, 2016,
Quote by PhatWeen
Yeah, the hum 's been dealt with, I just set up in a different room.

The grounding wire was what I was thinking. I guess it fell over or something, not enough to make visual damage but slight internal damage.

I'm heading to my local music shop, which is where I got the bass. They do repairs, and since I've only had it for like a week and a half, hopefully there's still warranty?

If they want your future business and its an easy fix (which a grounding wire should be) it should be covered and I would be surprised if they charged you.
Quote by anarkee
If they want your future business and its an easy fix (which a grounding wire should be) it should be covered and I would be surprised if they charged you.
Alright, thanks. Turns out I'll have to wait another week to get it fixed though, sigh.