whats up with these al-3500 agile prestige guitars that arent listed in the shop, but show up on google?

I saw someone mention them on a forum from a long time ago, and the page linked still existed.

I'm assuming they aren't selling them anymore? this one was $600 and has Seymour duncans in it http://www.rondomusic.com/product402.html

I'm just curious.

some parts seem superior. but on the newer al-3200 models the dual action truss rod is still an improvement.

I'm just wondering whatever happened to these guitars. is it still something they sell or did they just never delete old pages from their server?
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
They just never delete old pages from their server, so you can pull the pages up, but you're not able to actually buy those guitars. There was an AL3500 and an AL4000 at one point, and I believe the SD's were the major selling point (as well as some nice wood selections). These were mostly discontinued when they decided to offer semi-customs that allowed you to put together guitars with additional options.

There were also a few neck-through construction guitars that had the same neck heel as a standard LP (which I've never fully understood) and some other "trial run" and odd ducks.
spiroth10

As mentioned in the other thread, *all* Agile guitars have dual action truss rods. This from the man himself, Kurt Zentmaier, via email earlier this morning.
dspellman Doesn't matter, unfortunately for kurt I found an epic custom USA Warmoth Stratocaster with two Seymour Duncan humbuckers, locking sperzels, Graphtec saddles and a earvana nut.

for about the same price on ebay.

it was an insane deal and I happened to browse ebay at just the right time.

I didn't have cash anyway and I could deff use my online credit on ebay.

for $655 its a steal, I even got a hard case!!!!

check the gear forum for my thread, I posted the ebay pics for now, but I'll take some better ones once it ships!!!!

if you were in the market for a guitar -- any good guitar, not a les paul (I prefer strats, only went to agile for the price/quality ratio), how could you turn down a deal like that? no offence to the agile, which is an amazing guitar, the warmoth strat seemed to me like a way cooler guitar
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Quote by spiroth10
dspellman Doesn't matter, unfortunately for kurt I found an epic custom USA Warmoth Stratocaster with two Seymour Duncan humbuckers, locking sperzels, Graphtec saddles and a earvana nut.

if you were in the market for a guitar -- any good guitar, not a les paul (I prefer strats, only went to agile for the price/quality ratio), how could you turn down a deal like that? no offence to the agile, which is an amazing guitar, the warmoth strat seemed to me like a way cooler guitar

I routinely ignore Warmoth-based guitars, and I'll tell you how I can turn down deals like that...
First, Warmoth makes really high-quality parts (and I have a guitar I built from Warmoth parts).

But.

You never know what you're going to get when you buy one. People buy the pieces online and assume that they're going to be able to simply bolt the things together. I've seen mis-aligned neck-body joins in a number of dimensions. One guy put a 25.5" neck on a body meant for a 24.75" scale neck and handed it to me noting, "It seems to have a tuning issue, and I'm not sure what's causing it." I've seen high e strings that have been nearly off the neck above the 15th fret. Tuners installed backwards. Bridges misaligned. Pots installed at an angle, terrible soldering jobs, pickup wiring that made no sense, rotating output jacks, complete lack of grounding, Neck bolts installed at an angle, nuts that had been mangled beyond repair.

I've seen guitars that were actually installed with a bare wood neck ("I know that the big guys do that!"), with a blotchy oil-finished neck ("I played it a while before I decided to finish it").

Warmoth doesn't do fretwork other than installing the frets, which means that they need to be leveled and usually crowned and polished. But folks have bolted together the guitars without ever completing the fretwork. Then they play them with high action and figure it doesn't matter.

The list goes on. There's a REASON why Warmoth guitars are usually heavily discounted. Newbs buy them because they look nice in tiny photographs and seem to be a way cool guitar and then they wonder why the guitars don't seem to be in rig when they arrive. Probably nine out of ten guitars built from Warmoth parts need to go to a good tech and be put right in one way or another.

So that's how I could turn down a deal like that.

Here's wishing your guitar falls into the 10% that are stellar.
Two things: Kurt sells new Agiles on eBay as well as on the website. He has strats and superstrats as well as LPs.
Good luck!
Last edited by dspellman at Aug 31, 2016,
dspellman[/B

willing to do the fixes myself. id gladly have put it together myself.
Ive always been a modder and a hacker, I'm used to doing all my own setups and work -- granted I cant do any more than basic fretwork due to lack of tools.

if it truly needs to have fretwork, i'll save and have it plek'd

I'm surely certain the fretwork will be better on any off the shelf warmoth neck than on an epiphone or similar (every one I ever played had completely unlevel frets and was awful)

ive played warmoth guitars, that were just bolted together, that were great players. including a baritone telecaster.

I never had anything but good experiences with them.

I realize the risks of the purchase, but again, its an awesome platform, and if I have to I can buy a new neck or replace any small parts that aren't perfect.

that's whats so great about spending the cost of a mexi strat on all those parts.

the same work that could be done there, stands to go a LOT further with the potential already there.

id be ecstatic for even a mexi strat neck, and I'm sure its not so horrid that its any worse.

I don't care about the sides of the frets being dressed, and if they are so uneven that my action is god awful, well i'll buy a new neck and toss it
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Last edited by spiroth10 at Aug 31, 2016,
spiroth10

in fact, thanks to your suggestion, I just bought some stuff to level/dress the frets myself in the event it has to be done.
this fella is willing to put in hours of hard work to make it great if he has to

although sadly its not because I wouldnt pay the few hundred to have it done professionally. I wish I could. I live in an area where i am more competent than the best techs sadly. there is no business in this stuff, they sell squiers off the wall with no work done.

I refuse to spend $180 in shipping both ways to mail my guitar to a plek center in addition to the cost, and without a luthier in driving distance (by the border of canada, north of albany region ny) I dont really have any choices other than buying the shit on stewmac and doing it myself.

thats why I started doing my own setup work anyway. nobody else would do it, they charge $80 to just tune/intonate my fucking guitar if I go in and ask. its pathetic. but we have very few serious musicians here. and nobody but stupid children and tourists vist our music shops.

aside from parkway
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Last edited by spiroth10 at Sep 1, 2016,
sorry man I didn't mean to be rude.

I just really like this guitar, and by any means $600 is a steal for it. assuming I actually know how to do the work for the most part, and am a smart guy (computer science geek), I couldn't have bought the pickups and body and neck finished in the state they are

I truly don't mind investing a little more in this guitar.

its more than halfway done, and even if the neck wasnt mounted to the body right, I trust my skills and my friend whos owned a guitar shop for 30 yearas to be able to inspect it and fix it up. I know enough.

the neck is obviously not more than a few years old at most. so even if they aren't leveled, polished and crowned, after I do that it will just be twice as good!

sure, maybe it needs a small amount more money and time invested into it, but I dont expect life tobe easy. this is a solid platform to work on if nothing else. its already got the bells and whistles, so whats the big deal if it needs a little polish, as long as its a diamond in the rough?

its still not a bad deal by any means for what basically amounts to possibly needing a more advanced setup.

especially since good fretwork is very hard to find on any guitar straight off the shelf at that price point. I still will enjoy this better than an agile in the end.

but it will be matched by none in my eyes after doing the finish work myself, making it truly my own, simply out of the connection I'll develop working on it, playing it, watching it become something better and better.

its a thing of beauty and of necessity to me. to learn and do things for myself like that. and part of the enjoyment of the instrument.

yeah, it sucks to keep putting money into it. but even if everything isn't perfect, its something I can play while I buy the tools to do the fit and finish myself.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Good for you man, I own a bunch of guitars and basses, assembled a few Fender Upgraded Partscasters (Mexico body and neck, everything else US parts and components). I can upgrade simple stuff: tuners, nut, electronic, pickups.. but had some of my favorite guitars refret by luthier with Jescar SS and EVO gold frets, since don't own fret press and polish tools.. Recently bought some fret level and polish tools to try fret level. Having knowledge and developing some skills is therapeutic and self gratifying.. it makes the guitar special in lots of ways.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
I actually emailed the seller and asked the specifics, and inquired about the frets so Icould do fret work.

I found out he actually owns a guitar shop in another state, and he told me to hold out on buying the fretwork tools ( a bit too late, but they will come in handy) because it had been setup by a professional luthier in Tulsa. I don't see why hed lie, since the guitar is one day away from me and he already received payment, so it would by my own headache

so there is a really good chance the neck is actually properly finished, and I got a real player. I find out for sure what I got tomorrow, unfortunately the guitar will arrive while I'm at work or right before I go, so I wont have time to comment on it or take my own pictures until another day
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Good luck and do share pictures... I for one am excited for you. I guess any guitar would be a good player, as long as it receives proper setup.. also important factors to note are, quality of component.. like bridge, saddle, nut, potentiometers, 5-way switch, output jack, shielding, tuners, pickups.. any of these factors can make cheap guitar good.. and better guitars great players.. (I mean the guitar, the player needs to practice).

I hope the Warmoth neck has stainless steel frets.. anyways, it saves you refret every few months (depending how hard you fret notes or chords).. stainless steel frets are buttery to make bends.. and they stay shiny too.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Last edited by psp742 at Sep 1, 2016,