This Carvin 4 x 12 cab has been on my local CL for a couple of weeks.

http://gainesville.craigslist.org/msg/5745768198.html

It was originally listed for $100, and the price has now dropped to $80. It looks pretty old, but I can't find any information on it. Does anyone recognize it? The ad says that it has the four original speakers. I wouldn't mind having a 4 x 12 for the house, and price is definitely good, but I don't want to waste money on a piece of gear that's not very good. Any experiences - good or bad - would be welcome.
Attachments:
carvin.pdf
Last edited by jds2 at Aug 30, 2016,
This is likely a mid-80's 4x12, and not any younger than 1988 (the logo changed).
If you can get a photo of the back of the speakers, you can probably narrow things down a lot more.
See if you can get an accurate measurement of the depth of the cabinet as well.
I'd take a chance on it for $80 if it seems in good structural condition, and definitely listen to it beforehand.
If you can get the seller to open it up, you should.
dspellman - thanks for the info and suggestions. I decided that if it was still around this afternoon, it was meant to be. It was, so I picked it up an hour ago. The seller had it hooked to a PA amp with a radio going through just to show that all the speakers worked, no buzzing, etc. Nice, straightup guy. A quick look at the back as I was loading into my truck failed to show any label, model number etc., but I'll look more carefully when I get home tonight. The tolex certainly has some nicks, tears, etc., but nothing you wouldn't expect on a well-used 30 year-old cab. I'll probably wait until to tomorrow to run the cab through its paces since the family will be away then and I will have a little more volume freedom without my son sleeping across the hallway from my music room.
My Carvin cabinets don't have labels or model numbers, either. Really about the only way you can tell what you have is to open it up and look inside.
Quote by dspellman
My Carvin cabinets don't have labels or model numbers, either. Really about the only way you can tell what you have is to open it up and look inside.

I guess that I'll do that tomorrow. As you say, there is not a single label or model number anywhere on the outside. Very strange that Carvin would do that, but I guess that it's just the way they come from the factory.
Carvin generally only puts labels on their speakers if the cab is open back, or at least that's the way it was back in the 90's and early 00's. Closed back 4x12 won't have labels on them, because, you can't see them unless you open it up to look.

The stock speakers in Carvin cabs are generally generic Eminence speaker. Spec wise, they tend to be similar to the Legend GB12 models, just slightly tweaked for whatever company they are producing them for.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by ThunderPunk
Carvin generally only puts labels on their speakers if the cab is open back, or at least that's the way it was back in the 90's and early 00's. Closed back 4x12 won't have labels on them, because, you can't see them unless you open it up to look.

Sorry that I wasn't clear - I meant that I couldn't find a model number or any kind of label on the *outside* of the cab. I haven't opened up the back yet. This is the first time that I've ever run into a company that puts its name on the front and absolutely no other writing anywhere else. Makes it a bit difficult to find information on one of their models!
Last edited by jds2 at Aug 31, 2016,
Quote by ThunderPunk

The stock speakers in Carvin cabs are generally generic Eminence speaker. Spec wise, they tend to be similar to the Legend GB12 models, just slightly tweaked for whatever company they are producing them for.

Not in this cabinet. This is a pre-1988 cabinet (judging by the logo and a few other hints), and Carvin used Celestions from '78 - 88, Gauss speakers in 79-80, Electro-Voice from 1981 - 1989, Carvin HE speakers from 1986 - 88.

Since '88, they've variously used Carvin BR series, Carvin "Vintage" series, Carvin PS Series, Celestion G12M Greenbacks, Celestion Vintage 30's (still do), Carvin GT Series and Celestion G12-75/Seventy80 speakers and even, occasionally, Celestion Rocket 50's. I have a 1971 cabinet that has Altec Lansing speakers (418-8A's, I think) in it, and I've had a cabinet that had Jensens, another that had CTS, another that had MagnaLab speakers, all oriignal/stock.
I pulled the back off tonight and found...no more information. All four speakers had small square magnets on the back (around 3" square) with no markings on anything. The seller said that it was an 8 ohm, 80 watt cab, so I guess I'll believe him, although there is nothing marked anywhere that indicates this (or anything else for that matter). In any event, it sounds really clear and good when plugged into the Ext. Spkr. jacks of my combo amps. Definitely worth $80.
I spent the late afternoon trying out the Carvin 4 X 12 as an external speaker for three combo's I have (50 watt Peavey VK, a Vox AD50VT and a Crate V5). Interestingly, the V5 sounds really good through the 4 X 12. Even with an upgraded speaker in the V5 enclosure, it still sounds like a 1960's transistor radio. Plug it into the 4 X 12 and it becomes a really good-sounding amp. The current plan it to use the V5 as a head into the Carvin. And BTW, even at only 5 watts, that thing gets way too loud for comfort in a bedroom. I don't know whether it could be gigged, but it's more than plenty loud for personal use.

So I now have my cut-rate, Craigslist half stack: $65 for the Crate V5 and $80 for the Carvin 4 X 12.
Square magnets in a Carvin cab were usually CTS. Good "working musician" quality and a steal at $80. Enjoy!
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY