Poll: Is this a time of victimhood?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is this a time of victimhood?
Yah
22 55%
Nah
18 45%
Voters: 40.
Page 1 of 4
In a time full of lambasted "safe spaces" and widespread "bigotry", SOME SAY that we live in a time where people are softies and are defined by claiming to be the victim...

OTHERS SAY... no.

wbu?

I say nah
My God, it's full of stars!
too many lil bitches wetting their pants and crying that's for sure

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I think the pendulum has just swung back to being PC. Just wait about 5 more years and it'll start swinging back the other direction. I'd say that by 2025, it'll be cool to be edgy again.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by Xiaoxi
too many lil bitches wetting their pants and crying that's for sure

Why dontchu whine about it some more
if i speak for slovenia and my general impression of europe, i'd say nah. obviously there's twats that are crying for attention but there don't seem to be any more than in previous generations.

i've seen some pretty stupid college campus and feminist youtube blogger videos from the states but that's just stupid people enjoying the fruits of global communication and apart from that you seem to be doing fine as well.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
A student group at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee is asking people to think twice before using words and phrases like "lame," "trash" and "politically correct."

Mike Sportiello, head of student government at UW-Milwaukee, told On the Record the "Just Words" campaign is intended to get people to "think critically" and engage in a discussion about "the power of words."

"It's not just about how you feel," he said. "Life is about looking at how everyone feels and interacting with each other."

I say ya
Check out my band Disturbed
I wouldnt say era of 'victim'hood, but some people need to lighten up and not take themselves so seriously! It's like, cmon man, are you really so oppressed where you want to commit suicide by 5 gunshots to the back of your head?
I think a lot of people like to blame others for problems they are equally responsible for being in.

I also think a lot of people take up arguments because "its the right thing to do" without ever taking the time to find out for themselves if it really is.

Personally I think a lot of people are whiny. Everybody has problems. If it bugs you that much. Do something about it. Stop complaing that nobody will do it for you.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Yeah everyone's a victim even the people who claim to be against so called "victims" start a hissy fit when someone doesn't share the same opinion as them or doesn't stand for the national anthem

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
They'd exist whether or not there's an increase or decrease of them, it's just that we're more aware of them now cuz they're mostly young/tech competent. History has had it's share of platform-grabbing authority types trying to enforce ideals no one else likes and they inevitably fail, although you could say that about absolutely everything in fairness.

But it's also really ironic when reactionaries to stupid headlines say things like 'death to pc culture' and 'them women, why I oughta' because then they themselves become the whining knobjockies in said headlines but with slightly different contextual wording.

Basically anyone who says yes in that there poll.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Last edited by EpiExplorer at Aug 31, 2016,
Without a doubt. Münchausen syndrome abounds, and it's competitive. I feel we may be reaching a peak, at least on campuses as there is beginning to be a bit of pushback.

"Every day I wonder how many things I am dead wrong about."
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Yeah everyone's a victim even the people who claim to be against so called "victims" start a hissy fit when someone doesn't share the same opinion as them or doesn't stand for the national anthem

oh man what a sick BURN
Quote by EndTheRapture51

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_burn_centers_in_the_United_States
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Are the "safe space" people really that common or are they an extremely vocal minority? Everything I know about them, I learned from people mocking them. I don't know their side of the story.
Also this thread has a severe lack of
i don't think it's an era, i just think those of the 'victimhood culture' are more vocal than they have been.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by sashki
Are the "safe space" people really that common or are they an extremely vocal minority? Everything I know about them, I learned from people mocking them. I don't know their side of the story.
Also this thread has a severe lack of

vocal online

in real life less so

a lot of advocates for this kind of thing online are some of the most chill people i know irl so

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Sure, I guess, but it's better than having people not speak up about their plights, exaggerated or otherwise.
Free Ali
Quote by chrismendiola
Sure, I guess, but it's better than having people not speak up about their plights, exaggerated or otherwise.
Is it? Does a victim mentality not hinder people in many ways?

Quote by seanlang01
Is it? Does a victim mentality not hinder people in many ways?

I'd rather we give people too much attention for their plights than not do anything about it at all. At least it brings attention to how oppressed groups experiences are disadvantaged, even if we end up with a generation of crybabies or whatever. I'm sure every generation has complained about the next about this the generational increase in victim complexes and sense of entitlement.
Free Ali
before the word inevitably gets brought up

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
The way I see it, the victim mentality is a side effect of social issues being brought to the public eye. It's similar to how raising awareness of mental health has led to a lot of false positive diagnoses. It's not a good thing, but an inevitable consequence of change that will sort itself out given enough time.
Yeah maybe but who cares. This generation isn't fighting WWII but we also aren't lynching people.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by sashki
The way I see it, the victim mentality is a side effect of social issues being brought to the public eye. It's similar to how raising awareness of mental health has led to a lot of false positive diagnoses. It's not a good thing, but an inevitable consequence of change that will sort itself out given enough time.

yeah this is how it feels to me as well although im not sure about the sorting itself out part

either way, the 'professional victims' that usually get the CRITICAL FREETHINKERS worked up are complaining about the least subversive shit anyways

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by chrismendiola
I'd rather we give people too much attention for their plights than not do anything about it at all. At least it brings attention to how oppressed groups experiences are disadvantaged, even if we end up with a generation of crybabies or whatever. I'm sure every generation has complained about the next about this the generational increase in victim complexes and sense of entitlement.
Im skeptical as to how effective that generalized attitude is at empowering people or solving any of these problems. It implies that you have no control over your future if you are constantly being victimized, which is pretty laughable in most western nations. Facing more challenges than others within a boundary doesn't mean you're oppressed.

Last edited by seanlang01 at Aug 30, 2016,
Quote by seanlang01
Im skeptical as to how effective that generalized attitude empowers people or solves any of these problems. It implies that you have no control over your future if you are constantly being victimized, which is pretty laughable in most western nations. Facing more challenges than others within a boundary doesn't mean you're oppressed.

People referred to as victims has actually alerted me to a lot of struggles that I previously would not have thought of and made me more mindful of the way I act.

I think that's a good thing,

Quote by EndTheRapture51
People referred to as victims has actually alerted me to a lot of struggles that I previously would not have thought of and made me more mindful of the way I act.

I think that's a good thing,

Possibly, but I think what most skeptics (such as me) have issue with not who acts a certain way but rather how they act, especially when special language gets swiftly introduced and specific things become banned because 'sensitivity issues'.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by EpiExplorer
Possibly, but I think what most skeptics (such as me) have issue with not who acts a certain way but rather how they act, especially when special language gets swiftly introduced and specific things become banned because 'sensitivity issues'.

usually it's good things that get banned like i never use the word "tranny" now because it's offensive and i wouldn't have known that otherwise

I didn't think the poll results would be trending so hard in this direction tbh
It's an era of people being far more aware of the prejudices that exist on a daily basis.
Quote by BelowTheSun
It's an era of people being far more aware of the prejudices that exist on a daily basis.

True but that implies that subscribing to this idea is the only correct outcome of all this.

The REAL kicker to all this is that like all societal issues, the slow upgrading and improvement of education appears to be the only compromise, not simply brute forcing in legislature and/or riding off of media cacophony, which would to be the preferred choices of either side of this thread topic.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
The internet picks up on this crap more nowadays. I don't know anyone in real life who is that overly sensitive.
Quote by MeTallIcA313
The internet picks up on this crap more nowadays. I don't know anyone in real life who is that overly sensitive.

I do, he's a youtuber I added on facebook in 2012 cuz he did fun videos on conspiracy theories but then he went all 'if you don't agree with me, you're blocked, botted and reported' so I just stay silent and watch him complain to an echo chamber of fellow bored late-30-something nerds.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
Page 1 of 4