What's your attitude towards first post-graduation jobs? Do you thing people should stick with their first job for as long as possible, or hop as quickly as possible? Did you jobhop or are you a sticker? What are important qualifications a first job should have? Is it money? Should it be interesting? Should there be a lot of responsibilities immediately? Should there be quick pathways to succes? Should it sound good to others?

Please share your stories and what you would have done to have improved your situation (if possible).
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
lolwut
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
I bailed after 6 months lol. Starting a new one next month. Unless they're giving me a promotion I see no reason to stick around when I can hop on a better opportunity.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
depends. In my field, it's a given that people don't stay too long at one post either because moving upwards takes too long (damn boomers) or because they do consultation work. Therefore one of our headhunters might get a bit turned off by seeing someone who has been at the same job for a decade.

On the other hand, in other fields, you want an employee who is stable. I don't think I'd hire an accountant (for example) who changed jobs five times in the past five years. They need to know that specific company inside and out as well as the intricacies of their field.

OP, what field are you studying in?

EDIT: I missed a few questions.

What's your attitude towards first post-graduation jobs? It needs to allow you to learn the basics. Getting a diploma (even a higher education diploma) is like completing the tutorial of a video game. Important and helpful but you ain't seen nothing yet

Did you jobhop or are you a sticker? First job was three years. Now I'm a consultant. My shortest contract lasted all of 45 minutes (worked... not billed)

What are important qualifications a first job should have?
Getting paid and learning the ropes

Is it money? Should it be interesting? Should there be a lot of responsibilities immediately? Should there be quick pathways to succes? Should it sound good to others? You tell me
Last edited by flexiblemile at Aug 30, 2016,
Quote by ErikLensherr
I bailed after 6 months lol. Starting a new one next month. Unless they're giving me a promotion I see no reason to stick around when I can hop on a better opportunity.

In what way is your new job a better opportunity? Are you afraid it will look bad on your resumé that you hopped jobs that quickly?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by flexiblemile
OP, what field are you studying in?

Not studying, I am working as a Data Scientist. I was wondering about this cause sometimes I see some fun vacancies popping up and I was wondering if I should apply. Not sure if the possible tiny improvements in working conditions, money or responsibilities is worth the hassle.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
In what way is your new job a better opportunity? Are you afraid it will look bad on your resumé that you hopped jobs that quickly?

It's more responsibility so it'll look like career progression when I apply for an MBA.

Also it was my first job, as long as I don't make a habit of jumping out of every job after a few months nobody's gonna care.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
I job hopped my way to grad school. I already knew I wanted to go to grad school when I graduated and I was in the process of applying, so my main concern with a post-grad job was making money. I was successful in that aspect. First job was terrible so I quit after 3 months and the second job was alright but not something i would want to build a career upon.
cat
What's your attitude towards first post-graduation jobs?

They are nessecary

Do you thing people should stick with their first job for as long as possible, or hop as quickly as possible?

Depends on how much it is challenging them. My first post-graduation job was working at a school. I bailed as soon as something better became available.

Did you jobhop or are you a sticker?

I have stuck at my job for a year now. I am going to see if I can get a payrise with more responsibilities and if not I'll start to think about looking elsewhere.

Should ease you into the working environment, have some responsibilities, training and opportunities to grow and advance.

Is it money?

Money is important but not as important as personal growth.

Should it be interesting?

Yes

Should there be a lot of responsibilities immediately?

You should be eased into them.

Should there be quick pathways to succes?

If you're a good worker. Usually they're called graduate schemes though.

Should it sound good to others?

What do you mean?
What's your attitude towards first post-graduation jobs?

They are nessecary

Do you thing people should stick with their first job for as long as possible, or hop as quickly as possible?

It depends solely on the person's life and work situation.

Did you jobhop or are you a sticker?

I was at my first post-grad job for exactly a year, moved to a new job for 8 months, now I'm at a new place. By doing this, I have increased my pay by 20% in less than two years. I also have managed to gain experience in a variety of environments. For other people, sticking may be better, especially if there's internal room for advancement. My previous employers offered no such thing.

Get you good practical experience to build off of, help you determine what career path you might want to take, and help you realize that the real world loves to punch you in the balls every chance it gets.

Is it money?

Money should be good enough to get you going.

Should it be interesting?

Yes

Should there be a lot of responsibilities immediately?

No. that was one of the biggest issues with my first job, but luckily I had great coworkers who helped me ease into it, so I didn't sink.

Should there be quick pathways to succes?

It's called ambition and follow-through (privilege and nepotism).

Should it sound good to others?

What? If you mean something prestigious, nope. I was an addictions counselor at a fucking opioid maintenance facility (methadone clinic). I was a pariah to anyone unfamiliar with the field (95% of people) for a year. It helps build character and keeps you humble to remember where you started.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy
Quote by The_Blode
^ I'm sorry your highness I forgot that I'm subhuman. . .

Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
i don't work for the man, maaaan
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
( )_( ) signature to help him gain World Domination

Do you remember chalk hearts melting on a playground wall
Do you remember dawn escapes from moon washed college halls
Do you remember the cherry blossom in the market square
Do you remember I thought it was confetti in our hair
Just over three years in. I started out with the intention of sticking at least four years, to have a solid backing of experience. It's a big company in the translation sector, so it has that going for it as well.

On top of that, I've actually learned way more than I had anticipated, and my bosses seem very pleased with my work. That being said, I'm becoming more and more convinced that calling it after four years will be the right way for me.
No clue at all what I'm going to do after this btw, but I'll have to figure that out in the coming year I guess.
I graduated with a degree in music performance so I'm probably going to be job hopping for the rest of my life

I did just land a decent gig as a substitute teacher in multiple school districts. Combined with my private guitar lessons, it should be plenty of money, plus weekends and holidays off. I'll never be rich, but I should be pretty comfortable.

I think the most important aspect of a post-graduation job is how it relates to the field you eventually want to end up in. Even if you're only getting $10/hr to start, if you can build some decent experience and connections that will help you as you continue looking to move up, then it's worth it.
First job? Cleaning out the sawdust caked in the diesel engine behind a 36 inch moving saw-blade at a saw mill then .. oh post graduate jobs, yeah climb that ladder. Companies dont seem to promote people as much anymore. They hire out. Going from stockboy to store manager is about impossible. Or in engineering its seems like moving to a different company is the best way to move up.