Hey, there. I recently picked up a Mesa 4x12 oversized cab with Vintage 30s in it. For my head, I use an Orange Crush 120. I have never had any problems with the head at all, I have always loved the tone of this Orange head, and no, I am not looking to get rid of it. I used to use the Orange head through a Marshall MG 4x12, and it even sounded great with that. So, long story short. The Mesa sounds horrible. It is super harsh, and fizzy with my Orange. I'm using the gain straight from the head. My settings are: Treb: 11o'clock...Mids: 3o'clock...Bass:4o'clock...Gain: 4o'clock...I like a huge, fat, and warm sound, but all I'm getting is either too harsh (ice picks) or too muffled. Any and all help appreciated!
i would start with all of your knobs an noon and adjust accordingly. it just sounds weird to you because its different. you will get used to it.

get it dialed in and play with the settings for a while.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
dustin.schumachwhat speakers were in the MG cab?
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
Did you buy the Mesa cab new? Because V30's tend to sound harsh in the beginning, but you just have to play them a few hours to break them in.
It could just be something as simple as you just not being used to the sound coming out of the speakers. That'll resolve itself with time.

The effect could also be down to the positioning of the cab relative to yourself and relative to the room you're in.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
It's also possible that Vintage 30s aren't the speakers for you? One of the reasons they cut through in the mix is their higher mid range punch. But for home play, that mid push might be too abrasive/harsh for you. If the cab is new, there will be a break in period for the speakers as well. Experiment with your EQ and see if you can dial the cab into your liking. Other than that, look at a different cab or think about swapping 2 of the V30s for something else (X pattern) ? Then again if you've bought new, you probably won't want to do that :P
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
A Mesa Cab, assuming it's legit, is certainly not your problem. They make top quality cabs. Maybe it just doesn't jive with your particular head, but I start by adjusting your settings and checking to see if you can get were you need to get. If nothing works sell it.
Thanks for the massive amount of solid replies in a short time, everyone. I agree with what most of you are saying, I'm for sure just not used to a good cab. The cab is used, so I think the speakers are pretty broken in. I actually took the bass down to 2o'clock, kept the treb at 11, and I have the mids set at 3o'clock, and that has seemed to really help for the head's dirt channel. That being said, I really want to use my pedals again...How can I dial in a fuzz pedal without it sounding like my cab is taking a dump? Haha...Thanks!
T00DEEPBLUE I fully agree with not being used to the sound. The cab is a little away from my wall, and I stand back about 8 feet from it while playing.
8Len8 Stock MG speakers. They are just labeled as "Custom Voiced Marshall/Celestion" speakers...So, I'm not exactly sure what I could compare them to in a "true" line of Celestions.
Most likely just your ears need to adjust to the speakers. I agree with starting fresh with your tone settings. I have the same head and find it has a lot of mids, which I love. Those mids plus middy speakers makes for a metric shit-ton of mids.

I also find that it acts a bit more like the way people perceive tube amps...because it sounds even better when pushing some serious air. Where most ss amps wimp out.

I rock mine through a b52 ls412a I picked up cheap with the treble at 1 o'clock, mids 3 o'clock and bass at 11 o'clock. Then push it further with an sd1. (i like my mids)

Hopefully you get your tone sorted out. I love these Oranges.
Quote by Liaztraht
Most likely just your ears need to adjust to the speakers. I agree with starting fresh with your tone settings. I have the same head and find it has a lot of mids, which I love. Those mids plus middy speakers makes for a metric shit-ton of mids.

I also find that it acts a bit more like the way people perceive tube amps...because it sounds even better when pushing some serious air. Where most ss amps wimp out.

I rock mine through a b52 ls412a I picked up cheap with the treble at 1 o'clock, mids 3 o'clock and bass at 11 o'clock. Then push it further with an sd1. (i like my mids)

Hopefully you get your tone sorted out. I love these Oranges.

I love the head. I've heard people say it's just as good as some tube heads. I love how responsive the head is as well. You can just slightly turn up or down on any knob, and it'll make a huge difference. Yeah, my mids and bass have really what I have been adjusting most. My pickup has a lot of treble in it, so turning my treble to 11o'clock really helped the harshness I had. I like a very huge sound...For comparison on what I'm going for, I'd say to check out the latest Alice In Chains record, The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here. Huge Cantrell tone.
dustin.schumach For a huge sound, those settings I use on a neck pickup without my over drive, it's like electric wizard with more balls.

If your pickup is bright, then that doesn't help the harshness when playing alone.
Liaztraht

I hear you. I think it'll sound great in a live band mix, but alone, it for sure cuts deep. I actually just ordered a custom Fuzz/distortion pedal with a clean blend, so it's never too fuzzy, but never not exactly straight trebly distortion. Hoping for the best.
Quote by dustin.schumach
Liaztraht

I hear you. I think it'll sound great in a live band mix, but alone, it for sure cuts deep. I actually just ordered a custom Fuzz/distortion pedal with a clean blend, so it's never too fuzzy, but never not exactly straight trebly distortion. Hoping for the best.

I'm sure you will get great tones. Though it can be picky with some pedals. Like my cheap mxr prime. But it gives a boss metalzone massive balls with the clean channel cranked.
It also loves my homemade fuzz.

It sounds great live, but unfortunately for me, I've been letting my guitarist use it because I'm stuck on drums haha. But man does it cut. It gives the lead guitarists amp a run for its money, and his is a XXX!
Liaztraht Thanks! I appreciate the support. I like to play any instrument I can get my hands on as well, haha. I play 10-46g heavy core strings...Do you think getting heavier gauge strings will also help me to achieve a fatter sound? I haven't jumped gauges in forever.
dustin.schumach depends on your tuning. I used to play heavy core 12s in standard. Wasn't too different from the 10s except for the feel. Tuning to E flat to me gave a fatter sound. But that was from the lower frequencies of the tuning. Got fatter until I hit drop a, after that things get weird.

Perhaps an eq pedal in the loop or out front can tailor in the low end and cut the treble. Since I got my Orange my need for fattness was solved in any tuning. So I'm not sure from this point.