So I've been trying out some different strings and realized that I prefer 11's on the top (thinner) three strings and 10's on the bottom (thicker) three. Is this bad for the neck? Any posibility of it twisting? It's an epiphone les paul and there is already a slight neck twist, but not too much. Thanks.
Quote by wellmandellie
So I've been trying out some different strings and realized that I prefer 11's on the top (thinner) three strings and 10's on the bottom (thicker) three. Is this bad for the neck? Any posibility of it twisting? It's an epiphone les paul and there is already a slight neck twist, but not too much. Thanks.

That's basically what a balanced tension set does. No, it won't hurt your guitar.

http://www.daddario.com/balanced_tension.page?sid=86814357-6715-4b6c-a3d8-7fe6183e6866
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
reverb66I don't really agree. I've often gone up or down a gauge and never really noticed a difference in feel or setup.
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
I personally think paying someone for a setup on a guitar with a slightly twisted neck is a bit like doing a front end alignment on a car with bald tires. It's pointless.

I'd pay someone to attempt to fix the neck twist before it gets any worse (as they can worsen once they've started over time) before anything else.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
8Len8 There may be no difference, but changing the gauges of three strings could very likely affect intonation/action etc. If he can do setups himself then there's no issue, but given the nature of the question, clearly he isn't a luthier. Too many people cheap out on setups and play on guitars that are out of tune with bad action - that has a drastic impact on a guitars tone and the enjoyability of actually playing, more so than almost any other factor. A properly setup budget Squier will be much better to play that a $5000.00 custom shop guitar with uneven strings and bad intonation.

My rule is at least every 6 months, when the weather changes. It's well worth the cost.