If you had £1300.00p to spend on a guitar would you use all the money to get the best one eg like a Gibson , fender or would you look on ebay and buy used cheaper guitars like epiphone and maybe you could get three used guitars for £360 each .
Depends on what you're looking for and why you'd want 3 guitars instead of just one.

If you're playing in a million tunings that differ so greatly that one guitar won't cut it, you might enjoy 3 guitars more. If you're looking at 3 guitars because you want a Strat, a Tele and a Les Paul, I'd honestly just get one of them and get a high quality one.

In general, I've always gone for quality over quantity.
Depends on how many guitars do you have now and what is your approach to guitar. I like having a lot of different sounding guitars so I can get more different sounds. I have a partscaster with 3 single coils a nice Ibanez for shredding and a Gretsch. If you only have one ultimate sound you might be happy with just one guitar. If you have guitar orchestras in mind it might not be enough.
What kind of amp do you have? Assuming it is decent one (if it isn't IMO, you're wasting your money), I would likely get one "satisfying" guitar and then acquire some cheap modders as my interest developed. - In fact that is what I have done. "Satisfaction" includes mojo as well as performance. Mojo comes in many forms, which might or might not include the name on the headstock.
Depends on what I need/want vs what I find in the market.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I've done this before.

If I've *only* got $1700 (current exchange rate), I'm not going to buy a Gibson or a Fender. You're not going to find a really good Gibson for that money (IMHO; I'm going to get flamed by those with the cheapos now, aren't I?), and I figure I can find something much better than a Fender for that money.

Honestly, for ME, that's a middling amount of money, and I'd pack it away, water it and make it grow. If I didn't have a guitar at all, I'd find something pretty decent in the $500-600 range (whether new or used) and pack the rest away.

I like quality guitars, but I really don't see Gibson coming into its own much below $3000. A really good Carvin will be less than that, A really good Suhr near that. The Trussarts I want are both in the $5200 range, and if you check out the Guitar Show thread, you'll note that most of what I like is there or considerably above.

OTOH, I've had really good luck with some relatively inexpensive guitars as well, and the sweet spot there is around $500, give or take. You can play professionally for the rest of your life with some of those guitars.
I dunno dude, for 1300.00E, I'd want a Schecter or an ESP
Gear:
- ESP LTD MH-50
- Strandberg OS 7
- A cheap fender strat knock-off not worth naming
- Garageband
- Boss GT-1
- Potato
Quote by dspellman
I've done this before.

If I've *only* got $1700 (current exchange rate), I'm not going to buy a Gibson or a Fender. You're not going to find a really good Gibson for that money (IMHO; I'm going to get flamed by those with the cheapos now, aren't I?), and I figure I can find something much better than a Fender for that money.

Honestly, for ME, that's a middling amount of money, and I'd pack it away, water it and make it grow. If I didn't have a guitar at all, I'd find something pretty decent in the $500-600 range (whether new or used) and pack the rest away.

I like quality guitars, but I really don't see Gibson coming into its own much below $3000. A really good Carvin will be less than that, A really good Suhr near that. The Trussarts I want are both in the $5200 range, and if you check out the Guitar Show thread, you'll note that most of what I like is there or considerably above.

OTOH, I've had really good luck with some relatively inexpensive guitars as well, and the sweet spot there is around $500, give or take. You can play professionally for the rest of your life with some of those guitars.

your correct you may find some sweet used no name guitars for relative little expense...but the post is asking about a specific sum of approx. 17-18k USD..

while you wont be able to buy a new les paul standard (but you may be able to get a studio version new)..you can find some sweet used ones..and in the fender line there are many new and used in that price range..in particular the new Elite series of Teles and Strats..(im getting the tele..!!)..in lessor brand names there are many new in that range...
play well

wolf
Last edited by wolflen at Aug 31, 2016,
You need to figure out what you want and what will make you happy.Guitars are personal things.Also go try some and see if any speak to you.You might like a cheaper one and maybe get an amp aswell or maybe you'll find one you really love for the £1300.00.You must have some ideas in mind about what you want.