Looking for suggestions, and whether you prefer headphones or speakers for mastering guitar tracks?
I don't personally own all of the gear needed for a professional master (I do all of my home recording stuff with my trusty pair of AKG K240-MKII's), I believe that the point of mastering is to use both, and for that matter any other resource you have at hand. I'm not an expert here, but a standard mastering process afaik is listening to your tracks through different monitoring systems to make sure they sound balanced in a wide variety of settings.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Yamaha HS80Ms with Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pros for reference.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Just out of interest. For mixing, when do you use headphones and when do you use monitor speakers?
Headphones when there are other people in the house
Always check finished mixes on monitors and a few other sound systems if you can. I have some friends that mix on iPhone headphones as they figure the majority will listen on these nowadays.
Zoofiee
I mix on headphones when dialing in bass and reverbs, then I check final mixes on them just for any standout frequencies I don't like. Otherwise I only mix on the monitors.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I learnt years ago that Headphones are monitoring.Monitors are for mixing.

I use Sennheiser HD201 Headphones.Absolute bargain for the price and Alesis M1 Actives for mixing.

I've had my M1s for over 7 years now and they are still as good as the day I bought them.They even have a decent built in USB sound card if needed.

This was recorded and mixed using the above.

https://soundcloud.com/paulsheppard/sabb192k

I don't think it's too bad for budget gear