Can anyone link a video teaching Music Theory well, even to someone who doesn't exactly understand?
Last edited by TheArmoredBat at Sep 2, 2016,
TheArmoredBat

This video series is basic (there are a number of them)--

I would also learn how chords (triads) are constructed.
Quote by TheArmoredBat
sl60

I watched this one but was left confused.

The video was pretty good so if you still don't understand those basics i would suggest you find someone IRL who could teach you so you can stop them and ask questions at the exact time where you don't get it anymore.
I remember when i first got into this it was confusing too, but then there was a click at some point. Learning the notes on the neck of your guitar helps to get it and also the keys of a piano help to understand theory as piano is much easier to visualize and certainly when you get into more advanced theory later on.

All the best and good luck!
Chords:

There are major, minor, diminished, augmented chords! You said triads, so that is written like this.

Major triad chord (M 3,...)
I'm trying to translate it to english, so I'm not sure if I did it correctly! Anyways, the basic scale without sharps or flats is a C major! The relative minor is A minor! You find it by going a minor third down!

C D E F G A B C! There are semi tones, and whole steps between these notes! Semi tones are between E F (or 3rd and 4th), and B C (7th 8th) in a major scale!

If you want to construct a basic chord, just take the 1st, 3rd and 5th note from a major scale! That will be a major chord! If you want a minor, the same, just with a minor scale (A H C D E F G A). You can add sharps or flats in order to make a major scale from any note! Let's say a D major! You can't just write D E F G A H C D. That would be a very old scale, which you don't need to know. In order to make this scale a major D scale, you have to add sharps to make half tones between the 3rd and 4th, and 7th and 8th. So in this case, we would sharp out the F tone, and the C tone - leaving us with a D E F# G A H C# D! You can do this for any scale! I know it's confusing, so you might want to take lessons in real life!
JDtooshort

The best thing you can is to learn where all the notes are on the low E string--whole notes, sharps and flats. These repeat all over the neck.

Learn the major and minor scales for each note (A,B,C,D,E,F,G--then A is the eighth note or octave and the whole sequence repeats). Granted, this is a task, so start with one note (A is a good starting point) and learn both the major and minor scales (plus the pentatonic versions of each, which are just abbreviated versions of them). All this information is right at your Internet fingertips with a simple search.

Each major chord has a corresponding minor chord called the "relative minor". An easy way to find this is to go to the low E string, find your root note (say C on the eighth fret) and move this back three frets--for C this will land on A, so the relative minor of C is A minor. This works for every note in the scale.

Learn how chords are constructed. As above, they all built from three notes--the root, the third, and the fifth. The root is the starting note (as in the A on A chord); the third is the third note of the scale (A, B, C=C), and you have to determine where the note is whole (no sharps or flats) or is sharp or flat (the video explains how to do this, but at the start it might be best to simply memorize the information); the fifth is the fifth note of the scale (A, B, C, D, E=E). So in the case of an A chord, the notes are A, C#, E (and a C chord is C,E,G and a D chord is D, F#, and A, etc.). Once you know this, you can find or build chords all over the neck. For a minor chord, you "flat" the third notes (move it back a half-step). So in the case of A, you move the C# back to a C and you have A minor.

Once you have mastered this information, you can easily advance to further chord-building, etc.

This is very basic music theory and if you take the time to learn it--and you just have to sit down and put in the time make it fluent for you--then the whole guitar will suddenly open up to you. It kind of sounds like you're looking for some sort of magic wand, but there is none--as usual with most learning experiences, there's no substitute for hard work. When I started I thought that somehow "they" (the good guitar players) somehow magically just knew how to play--and then I took the time to learn all of the above and now I know it's just hard, diligent work. You have to learn the notes of the fretboard and learn scales!
Music theory is easy. Pretend music notes exist on a number line, but instead of numbers they are letters.

There are names for the distances between notes.

1 note difference = minor 2
2 note difference = major 2
3 = min3
4 = maj3
5 = perfect 4
6 = #4 or b5
7 = perfect 5
8 = min6
9 = maj6
10 = min7
11 = maj7
12 = octave

chords are built by stacking intervals
maj + min = major chord
min + maj = minor chord
min + min = diminished chord

those were triads, these are bigger chords:
maj + min + maj = maj7 chord
min + maj + min = min7 chord
maj+min+min = dominand 7th chord
min + min + maj = half diinished 7th chord

thats good for the chords.

the major scale has the scale formula 1-2-3-4-5-6-7. Those are all major intervals, refer back to the interval chart to figure out how far those are from the root note. 1 is the root. 2 means maj2 which is 2 notes from the root. 3 is a major 3rd, 4 notes from the root. Continue that and youll be building scales in no time.

Thats it. youre done and now you know everything besides how to read and write sheet music.
Moved to mt before it descends into an absolute clusterfuck
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Thread was moved to forum: Musician Talk
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
jrcsgtpeppers

Do you really think somebody that doesn't understand theory will understand what you just said?

TheArmoredBat

Which part of the video didn't you understand?

The musical alphabet will make more sense when you learn about the major and minor scales.

The important points in the video: Each fret is a half step. When you move one fret up from E, you move a half step up to F. The "natural" notes (on piano we would call these the white keys) are A B C D E F G. The notes between these natural notes are sharps/flats. For example the note between A and B is A# or Bb. Some natural notes already have a half step between them (because the note names are based on the diatonic scale - major scale is an example of a diatonic scale).

Just play the E major scale on your low E string and you'll notice that some notes are only one fret (half step) apart when others are two frets (whole step) apart. When you play that scale, you will notice that there is a half step between the 3rd and the 4th notes of the scale and the 7th and the 8th notes of the scale. This same thing applies to all major scales - all major scales are built this way.

This is a visual representation of the major scale:

1---2---3-4---5---6---7-8

C major is the major scale with all naturals.

C---D---E-F---G---A---B-C

As you can see, there's a whole step between all the other notes, except for E and F, and B and C. And this is why there is no E#/Fb between E and F, or B#/Cb between B and C - they are already a half step apart.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
There is no single video or lesson that will explain enough theory for you to have an "Aha" moment (exception: The "Take On Me" music video).

This stuff is basically like science. You have to just take one little thing, figure out how it works on the staff, in musical examples, and on your guitar, then check yourself against the right "answers", and move on to the next lesson.

Yes, it can be a bit rigorous, but you will understand music so much better when you can see it as a collection of moving parts, rather than a few vague harmonic concepts that sound like the rules of music.

Go ahead and watch videos about the major scale and circle of 5ths, but if you want to understand theory in a way that makes music genuinely interesting, start with basic music literacy and rudiments, and get a book that has problems and solutions.