What is everyone running for nut action? I know it's a preference thing, but is there a general range that is recommended?

Measured at 1st fret, 6th string I've got .5mm.
Popular wisdom says that the gap at the 1st fret should be the same as the gap at the 2nd fret if the 1st fret is fretted. Another test is to fret the 3rd fret and look at the gap between the 1st fret and the string. It should be barely discernible - I have some where the string actually touches the fret, and it still doesn't buzz.
I generally determine a reasonable nut action as one where the gap between the string and the 1st fret on the 6th string is approximately half the diameter of the 6th string itself. And for the 1st string, the height should be approximately twice the diameter of the string itself. All the other strings transition between the two.

It isn't an exact measurement, but its enough to serve as a starting point for later fine adjustment. Getting something that's exacting depends on how hard you play, what string gauge and what tension you tend to run.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Sep 1, 2016,
Quote by dspellman
NUT ACTION!!!

Yeah when I first saw the title I thought this thread should probably been in the pit.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

No need for the pit, just more responses. does anyone prefer higher action at the nut?
Quote by dspellman
NUT ACTION!!!

mind blown.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by guitarkid8
No need for the pit, just more responses. does anyone prefer higher action at the nut?

Nah the title just sounded like pit material once I read the OP I knew it was legit!

I prefer the action at the nut to be low but TBH I've never measured it.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Sep 1, 2016,
I had one at .30mm 6th string 1st fret, and noticed when playing back to back with another axe (same body style, trem, scale length, # of frets, neck construction, string brand and gauge) that pinch harmonics and vibrato on the low frets was considerably harder. Shimmed the nut (double locking) up to .5mm to match the other one, and the result was positive.

I haven't really been able to find anything regarding numerical values online, however I found one site listing 2/64" for the 6th string and 1/64" for the 1st string. Since 2/64" is roughly .8mm, I was thinking about shimming up to that and see how it feels.
Quote by guitarkid8

Not me.
Quote by Tony Done
guitarkid8

High nut action. - Only on lap steels.

Pedal steel too
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Swart STR Tweed
Quilter 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Finally found it...or one of them...I knew I had found nut slot measurements a long time ago, took some looking.

In general, I like fairly low nut slots, as long as it doesn't buzz on the first few frets I'm ok. General overall measurements I remembered were .015" at the first fret, I looked up a Stew Mac article that says .010 for first string, .020 for 6th string. Anything higher than that and you're probably going to pull the strings sharp when you fret, any lower and you'll probably start getting fret buzz.

Full nut replacement article on Stew Mac

http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online_Resources/Learn_About_Guitar_Nut_and_Saddle_Setup_and_Repair/Nut_Making_and_Setup.html
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...