Page 1 of 8
Everyone was happy in the 90s and culture was booming. The economy was doing well and we were making loads of technical innovations. Cultures were integrating with each other and everything was moving in a positive direction.

Since 9/11 there has been increasing division in the world and communities are becoming more insular plus there are a new wave of right-wing nationalist movements preying on these fears to implement regressive ideologies.

Bring back the 90s, the golden age of humanity.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
No I read a Wikipedia page too the 90s were definitely better

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Rolling car windows down with the handle sucked.
Everything sucked.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Rolling car windows down with the handle sucked.
Everything sucked.

i had electric windows in the 90s lol

Quote by EndTheRapture51
i had electric windows in the 90s lol

Shitlord.

Although my mum's car had a 6-disk CD changer so...
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

we had a cassette player in our car it was #DOPE absolute SO V I N T A G E get those harry potter audiobooks on the long journeys stephen fry hmu

Quote by EndTheRapture51
we had a cassette player in our car it was #DOPE absolute SO V I N T A G E get those harry potter audiobooks on the long journeys stephen fry hmu

huuh
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

Quote by sashki
Do people who grew up in the 80s and earlier have equally fond memories of the 90s?

Reminds me of that scene in The Wrestler where they're talking about how music was so good in the 80's til that Cobain pussy ruined everything lol.

But yeah, the 80's and 90's were really good for different reasons. Even the 50's,60's and 70's too. Then the internet came and brought the whole cultural shit house up in flames. James Morrison predicted at such.

I don't think 9/11 (11/9 lets get real folks) was such a big catalyst for any cultural change in music and arts however. The internet was more influential than terrorists overall culturally.
Last edited by Rebel Scum at Sep 1, 2016,
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Cultures were integrating with each

How so?

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by JamSessionFreak
How so?

a lot less islamophobia everywhere

i have noticed more division in general in our country

see: ukip, brexit etc. etc.

Quote by EndTheRapture51
a lot less islamophobia everywhere

i have noticed more division in general in our country

see: ukip, brexit etc. etc.

Yeah I don't think the feeling was the same here. Srebrenica and the Yugoslav wars and all that.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by JamSessionFreak
Yeah I don't think the feeling was the same here. Srebrenica and the Yugoslav wars and all that.

oh yeah the 90s was shit for the balkans lol

never have dinner with the president

I think the problem now is that all the struggles for discovery, reason and progress in the face of great odds just don't seem to be here. Compared to the late end of the modern period, we're not struggling for space-travel, splitting the atom etc. Even going back further - the great exhibition and such - where are our colossal displays and collections of pioneering and discovery? It's all much more thinly spread, and there's little impact from it. The idea of exploring and discovering new things just seems to be a bit quaint to many.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
^ all those things exist, we just don't realise it yet.

In 30 years time when going back over old newspaper articles or whatever, we'll probably all realise we've been around for real big times that will be studied in history classes.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Quote by Banjocal
I think the problem now is that all the struggles for discovery, reason and progress in the face of great odds just don't seem to be here. Compared to the late end of the modern period, we're not struggling for space-travel, splitting the atom etc. Even going back further - the great exhibition and such - where are our colossal displays and collections of pioneering and discovery? It's all much more thinly spread, and there's little impact from it. The idea of exploring and discovering new things just seems to be a bit quaint to many.

Challenger blowing up killed manned space travel really

People have got it into their heads that austerity is good - we need to pinch the pennies and run our economies like a household economy - thus no displays of exuberance.

Millenium Dome was supposed to be that kind of "Great Exhibition" thing for our country and look what people thought of that. Exploration and discovery into the final frontier are seen as expensive and luxurious frivolities when you could be spending money on the NHS. And then the NHS doesn't get its money anyway.

Give Blair all the shit you want for neoliberalism but at least he tried.

Quote by i_lovemetallica
^ all those things exist, we just don't realise it yet.

In 30 years time when going back over old newspaper articles or whatever, we'll probably all realise we've been around for real big times that will be studied in history classes.
That's almost always the case m8 that's how our history works. We've been around for a lot of major political events, but in terms of what I'm talking about, I don't think there's much of it.

Compare discovering DNA with what we're doing now. I'm not saying what's being done isn't useful and in terms of research it obviously builds on previous findings, but that w've broken so many barriers and covered every corner that discovery has lost a lot of its weight. The whole point of those exhibitions was that they were in the there-and-then. I don't think we have that same sort of 'weight of reality' in our lives, what with the abuse of technology, the now irony-laden nihilism and an increasing detachment from the real.

Changing of the times and such, but imo thirst for discovery and striving toward improbable goals is a great strength of man. I don't think that, even quantitatively speaking, we have much of it now.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Last edited by Banjocal at Sep 1, 2016,
The internet is making people stupid and we have a new generation of people who get smartphones by the tme they start school at 4

In the 90s people had to leave the house and talk to people face-to-face in real life, which nobody ever has to do anymore. Electric car windows require less effort, which makes people fat as well. It's no wonder life is so terrible now.
I have nothing important to say
Quote by Banjocal
That's almost always the case m8 that's how our history works. We've been around for a lot of major political events, but in terms of what I'm talking about, I don't think there's much of it.

Compare discovering DNA with what we're doing now. I'm not saying what's being done isn't useful and in terms of research it obviously builds on previous findings, but that w've broken so many barriers and covered every corner that discovery has lost a lot of its weight. The whole point of those exhibitions was that they were in the there-and-then. I don't think we, as a species, have the same sort of weight of reality in our lives, what with the abuse of technology and an increasing detachment from the real.

Changing of the times and such, but imo thirst for discovery and striving toward improbable goals is a great strength of man. I don't think that, even quantitatively speaking, we have much of it now.

did do large hadron collider mate

the nature of science as it is is that discoveries may be of equal significance to previous discoveries but they're a lot harder to understand for the average lay man

something like "e=mc2" or "DNA" is easy to explain to someone on a street because it's fundamental and easily understood to an extent

i dont know what similarly "cool" discoveries there are now but it's mainly on improving existing technologies like batteries etc. which is a lot less cool, or weird particles like higgs boson which is impossible to explain to a normal people

although quantum computers may become that breakthrough for our generation

True true. I don't think that it's difficult to understand the basic significance of stuff like that though. If you explain it in simple terms most people can get the why, (simple) how, what etc.

I'm not really thinking in terms of coolness that's irrelevant

Despite that, I still feel that we've become a lot less experientially invested. And I do think abuse of tech has a huge amount to do with it.

I mean the obvious historical explanation is that a largely secular period dedicated to scientific advancement is gounna yield a large amount of discoveries in a short period of time, so there will be a cooldown of sorts now as things are refined. But it has meant that Pokemon GO has lead people to notice how more people are going outside for leisure.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Last edited by Banjocal at Sep 1, 2016,
Quote by Banjocal

Pretty much. You used to be able to make a fortune doing stuff like discovering new places and exploiting natives and such. Now you invent an app that lets teenagers send more dick pics at each other.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Pretty much. You used to be able to make a fortune doing stuff like discovering new places and exploiting natives and such. Now you invent an app that lets teenagers send more dick pics at each other.
I had a joke here but on the off-chance an employer ever finds out about this account Ima not say nothin
Quote by EndTheRapture51
The whole media approach to science just annoys me. I love science but the media does not simply understand it and dumbs everything down so much, to the extent that you get people wanting to do astrophysics degrees because they like pretty planets and learning about Jupiter's moons and are completely turned off when they discover it's not actually all that and you've actually go to learn some pretty complex maths.

Science isn't some "cool" novel little hobby that you "do" it's an entire way of thinking and a process. It can be cool, it can be boring. There's room for different theories but you need evidence to support anything backed up by that way of thinking and methodology.

Maybe it's because everyone is so based in "feels" nowadays that people don't like something where you can quantifiably and utterly WRONG about something despite a lot of hard work put into stuff.

But yeah idk really I'm just babbling.

Quote by Banjocal

Compare discovering DNA with what we're doing now. I'm not saying what's being done isn't useful and in terms of research it obviously builds on previous findings, but that w've broken so many barriers and covered every corner that discovery has lost a lot of its weight. The whole point of those exhibitions was that they were in the there-and-then. I don't think we have that same sort of 'weight of reality' in our lives, what with the abuse of technology, the now irony-laden nihilism and an increasing detachment from the real.

Technology is moving exponentially faster than it ever has before. There's no denying that.
From discovery of DNA to finding out it had a role in inheritence took like 100 years. I think it would be much faster if discovered today.
Technology dictated physical travel and exploration took a backseat to more Matrix style ideas.

I just think there are more tribes so to speak, where there are a lot of people who don't care about what's going on with technology. And there are a lot that are passionate.
In the past with only a few news sources everybody was getting a little bit of science news even if they didn't want it.
Now we have hordes of people who use the precious technology of internet and smartphones just to look at somebody getting knocked out on World Star and if Kim Kardashian posted any selfies today.

When another tribe is keeping up with the Large Hadron Collider and Higgs Boson everyday.Which would be the new version of atom splitting.
Then of course theres a small amount doing both.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Nah they weren't. This right now is the golden age of humanity.

No it's not things are worse than ever

Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Nah they weren't. This right now is the golden age of humanity.

Yep
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
So could very strong acid
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by EndTheRapture51
No it's not things are worse than ever

Says a straight white dude living in a first world country.

Things aren't good, but they sure as hell weren't as bad as the 90s. The gulf war, end of united artists, whatever the hell grunge was, Rodney king's beating.

Nostalgia's fun but overwhelmingly bullshit
But thats nothing new.
I knew a kid in the 90s who was into Master P and his "No Limit" thing.
He had a tattoo but it said "No Limits" and it was also crooked
To put things in perspective, in the 90s no longer actively seeking out gays to kick them out of the military was a progressive win.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Says a straight white dude living in a first world country

This is the worst qualifying statement ever, tied with "as a mother"
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by ErikLensherr
To put things in perspective, in the 90s no longer actively seeking out gays to kick them out of the military was a progressive win.

In more perspective, how outlandish would it seem today to actively seek out Muslims to kick out of the US military. I don't think it would happen but I'm sure Trump supporters would cheer the idea.