I always wanted to have a guitar with a Cuban flag on it. I was born and raised on the island and I've been living in the U.S now for 15 years and I haven't really found something that I could celebrate my heritage with that I genuinely liked. Some people have fuzzy dice with the flag, some have tattoos, and some just perpetuate the culture. I didn't like either of those, so I custom made a guitar.

I bought a Charvel DST-3FR on clearance at Guitar Center for 220 USD, and it looked like this for a little while.

I got tired of that look and I started making plans for something new.

It started out with this design, and the most challenging part was the graphic.

I'm no painter and I already tried a hand with that and it turned out awful, so I enlisted the help of a professional. I called Dan Lawrence to help. For those of you who don't know who Dan Lawrence is, he is a legendary painter, known for his graphic works for Jackson/Charvel/BC Rich/Ibanez in the 1980's. I sent out the guitar body in late May and I got it back in early August of this year. He's a busy guy, but a consummate professional in every way and surprisingly affordable.

You can check him out and his work over at http://www.drlgrafx.com/

In the mean time I pieced together the hardware that I was going to use for the new guitar, as I deemed that the electronics were not good enough for this instrument. The pickup was your standard Chinese made humbucker with no oomph, the Floyd Rose Special can't take much abuse, and I don't like rosewood fingerboards, so I got a few things in order to make it better.

For the pickup I went with a Seymour Duncan JB and a Schaller Floyd Rose for the bridge and Might Mite makes a killer replacement for Jackson necks. They're kinda hard to find but I got my hands on one.

This is the guitar before the clear coat over at DRL Graphics.

The day I got the guitar body back:

Fully assembled:

Glamour shot...sort of.

Thanks for looking!
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Last edited by RBM01991 at Sep 2, 2016,
That looks brilliant.

Though from the title I thought you were implying making a Jackson a semi hollow guitar which would be very strange.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Sep 1, 2016,
Absolutely awesome, the maple fretboard looks great I may have to contact Mr. Lawrence for some graphic work myself! Way to make your vision come to life congrats!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by Evilnine
Absolutely awesome, the maple fretboard looks great I may have to contact Mr. Lawrence for some graphic work myself! Way to make your vision come to life congrats!

I couldn't recommend a better graphic artist. Communication was always great as well which is really important.

Thanks gents!
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Quote by RBM01991
I couldn't recommend a better graphic artist. Communication was always great as well which is really important.

Thanks gents!

I have 14 guitars with standard paint finishes some graphics would break up the monotony. I have a Jackson DKMGT that I was able to have pinstriping done by a local legend hot rod pinstriper who calls himself Bikini he is like 76 and still stripes perfectly freehand. I'm on my tablet now and can get pictures to post in threads but there are photos in my pictures on my profile. It has an old school hot rod pinstriper motif that is reminiscent of flames, maybe not for everyone but I dig it!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

That turned out fantastic!

HNGD!
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by Evilnine
I have 14 guitars with standard paint finishes some graphics would break up the monotony. I have a Jackson DKMGT that I was able to have pinstriping done by a local legend hot rod pinstriper who calls himself Bikini he is like 76 and still stripes perfectly freehand. I'm on my tablet now and can get pictures to post in threads but there are photos in my pictures on my profile. It has an old school hot rod pinstriper motif that is reminiscent of flames, maybe not for everyone but I dig it!

Dude that thing is fantastic, it could use a maple board though
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Quote by RBM01991
Dude that thing is fantastic, it could use a maple board though

Yeah I love it one of a kind for sure and the best part was getting to meet Bikini he is a legend here in Indiana and the mid west, he is a great guy and quite a character I got to chat with him for 2 hrs. my brother met him and he has always striped cars he striped a few guitars for my brother for free to get a feel for it.

He asked me what I was looking for and I vaguely said "old school hot rod" we discussed some color oprions and I requested the 9 as it is my lucky number but I told him to do whatever came to mind he is and artist and I trusted his vision, then he asked if I wanted it "mild or wild" LOL I told him wild so he kept it clean on the front and went wild on the back.

I have 14 guitars and not one maple board it makes me sad I buy most of my guitars used when I find great deals on them and have not had one single guitar with a maple board present itself when I had cash to but it. Oh well it just gives me an excuse to buy another guitar.

Where did you find that maple mighty might neck? I would put one of them on it if I could find one!
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Sep 2, 2016,
Evilnine

https://reverb.com/item/2291314-jackson-mighty-mite-maple-24-fret-neck-clear-satin

This is the guy I bought mine from. BTW, I uploaded the sound test and review, I'll add it to the original post.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Quote by RBM01991
Evilnine

https://reverb.com/item/2291314-jackson-mighty-mite-maple-24-fret-neck-clear-satin

This is the guy I bought mine from. BTW, I uploaded the sound test and review, I'll add it to the original post.

Sweet where did you get the Jackson decal? Because I gotsta represent!
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Quote by Evilnine
Sweet where did you get the Jackson decal? Because I gotsta represent!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Guitar-Headstock-Vinyl-Decal-Jackson-White-/182153433681?hash=item2a6930d251:g:QJIAAOSwNsdXTNYD

Thats the one I ordered.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

wow that's awesome

EDIT: awesome playing too
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 2, 2016,
Dat's purty.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Quote by Dave_Mc
wow that's awesome

EDIT: awesome playing too

Thank you!
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9