Poll: Do you?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you?
Yes: I just want to get what I need without people asking to "help" me.
5 23%
No: I'm not an anti-social weirdo.
17 77%
Voters: 22.
Page 1 of 2
If I'm going shopping, I like to listen to music and make it clear that I don't want to be talked to for any reason, so I wear headphones that are easily noticeable. Plus, I get to choose my soundtrack for shopping. It makes having to go to places like Home Depot and Meijer much more bearable. All those people and background noises make me nervous as hell.

What about you guys?
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
No because you have to be aware of your surroundings when you're in busy enclosed areas

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by EndTheRapture51
No because you have to be aware of your surroundings when you're in busy enclosed areas

Not if you have spidey senses like me
When I go shopping I know what I need, where I need it from etc, and I've got strong spatial awareness.

Usually shop assistants leave me be, but a simple "no thank you" suffices.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by EndTheRapture51

It helps that I have this sense of when someone is within about 6 feet of me. Plus, I'm always checking my blind spots when I have my headphones in.

Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Pretty much this. And it saves the awkwardness of having to turn off music and take off headphones when at the till or trying stuff on.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

My headphones are broken right now. I hate using my iPod headphones. Thus I don't really use them. If my seinheisers worked I would take them every where. Not because I don't mind telling employees that I don't need any help, but because I enjoy listening to John Coltrane and others don't.
sometimes but only on the way to the store, when im in the store i take the earbuds out

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by JamSessionFreak
sometimes but only on the way to the store, when im in the store i take the earbuds out

yeah, this. or i take the earbuds out when im in the queue
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by OddOneOut
And it saves the awkwardness of having to turn off music and take off headphones when at the till or trying stuff on.

I make sure every place I go to has a self-checkout option. Even hardware stores have them.

Quote by ErikLensherr

I listen to music everywhere except work and shopping. But I listen to music on the way to the store and the way back home.
Quote by zgr0826
I make sure every place I go to has a self-checkout option. Even hardware stores have them.
What about clothes shopping though?
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by OddOneOut
What about clothes shopping though?

I very rarely shop for clothes.

Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by zgr0826
I very rarely shop for clothes.

No kidding, what with the fur and all. You have a more than passing resemblance to Hetfield.....
people who have earbuds/headphones while shopping tend to be even more oblivious than the average idiot who parks their cart in the middle of an aisle so they can stare blankly at a shelf.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by jakesmellspoo
people who have earbuds/headphones while shopping tend to be even more oblivious than the average idiot who parks their cart in the middle of an aisle so they can stare blankly at a shelf.

So young you are, jakesmellspoo! The downy apple cheeked youth of today aren't familiar with "the old ways". You'd be doing backflips of gratitude if you'd grown up when I did. Back in those days people didn't have earbuds....some of them carried damn boomboxes with them everywhere they went! If you didn't like their music, too damned bad. And here's the worst part of all: IT WAS THE DISCO ERA!!!

No. I like talking to people so I don't wear headphones in stores where I am likely to talk to people. I don't wear headphones when I walk around outside either because I have to be aware of my surroundings.
cat
For everyone saying, "I have to be aware of my surroundings," I have to know, are you using sound cancelling headphones? I think that's the main disconnect here. I use semi-closed headphones so I can still hear some background noise, but only people in close proximity, and not the overall annoying din of a store.

I just get really anxious in stores, and this is the best way I've found to deal with it.

Quote by ErikLensherr

Only grocery shopping, that's it.
Dean Dave Mustaine VMNTX electric (Black)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro electric (Ebony w/ gold)
Orange Micro Terror 20W Hybrid amp head
Orange Crush Pro 120W amp head
Kustom 4x12 cabinet
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus Power Supply
Korg Pitchblack Chromatic Pedal Tuner
Electro-Harmonix XO Metal Muff
MXR M-103 Blue Box
TC Electronic Dark Matter
TC Electronic Fangs Metal
Yes if the store is playing music over the PA.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Honestly, there's rarely a time when I'm not listening to music with headphones on.

I don't understand what people need to be aware of? Surely you can just look around?
Quote by matt bickerton
Honestly, there's rarely a time when I'm not listening to music with headphones on.

I don't understand what people need to be aware of? Surely you can just look around?

when you're not driving around do you not turn down the music so you can navigate and concentrate better?

basically then

music is fine when im on autopilot going to and from different locations

when i near uncertainty or need fine control over something or thinking, music goes down so i can concentrate and be aware of my surroundings better

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by jakesmellspoo

even tho i listen to music while shopping (at a low volume so i can still easily hear everything around me; also i dont use those gross noise canceling earbuds that plunge into your ear canal, i use the kind that rest in the cradle of your ear) i am the most paranoid person about this

i am always looking around making sure the cart is out of the way of other people, and when i do have to move it or my little brother out of the way i always mutter a "sorry"

the music definitely helps with sone of the anxiety tho yea
Quote by EndTheRapture51

ETR
Quote by EndTheRapture51
when you're not driving around do you not turn down the music so you can navigate and concentrate better?

basically then

music is fine when im on autopilot going to and from different locations

when i near uncertainty or need fine control over something or thinking, music goes down so i can concentrate and be aware of my surroundings better
Oh fair enough. I can't/don't drive, so I just walk everywhere and don't really have need to focus much.
when im walking to a place i always will have some music in but when im at a place i will take it off

I usually do wear headphones but shop assistants over here won't really bother you in the first place, unless it's some small boutique type place and they have nothing better to do. With those small places, they usually prompt whether I need any help and if not I'll just pop out an earphone and tell them I'm fine.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
I actually don't mind the sounds of every day life. It's pretty calming for me when I hear traffic or people doing shit or whatever the heck.

I only listen to music when I am chilling or I need to concentrate/get hyped.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
EndTheRapture51
Weird. I typically do better driving if I have the music up a bit.

Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by zgr0826
EndTheRapture51
Weird. I typically do better driving if I have the music up a bit.

Depends on what you listen to and if you consider listening to hi-NRG whilst blasting down the road at 120 'better driving'
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by zgr0826
For everyone saying, "I have to be aware of my surroundings," I have to know, are you using sound cancelling headphones? I think that's the main disconnect here. I use semi-closed headphones so I can still hear some background noise, but only people in close proximity, and not the overall annoying din of a store.

I just get really anxious in stores, and this is the best way I've found to deal with it.

Nope I can still hear background noise when I have my headphones in. It's more of a personal safety thing for me when I'm outside.

I'm sure it'd be fine in a store but as I said, I like talking to people and don't find the music/other noises annoying so I don't really want to listen to my headphones in a store.
cat
I have literally never see anyone do that.
Quote by Anonymous
My favorite sex position is called "WOW". That's where I flip your MOM over.
Nah, the supermarket has its own music....and the playlist is kinda eclectic so its entertaining.

Plus, if I have my headphones in, I can't chat up the super qt at the bottle shop
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Page 1 of 2