Page 1 of 2
there is obviously inherent risk in space travel much like there was in the primitive stages of sea travel
Quote by EyeNon15
The space elevator is where it's at

Yeah. as soon as we can develop a material that will take the strain...

Great idea though, but who will build it?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911

Mexico, right after they BUILD THE WALL.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by zgr0826

Do you ever think about anything else.
Quote by Rossenrot
Do you ever think about anything else.

Actually, I do. However, this joke set itself up. It would have been improper of me not to do it.

Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by zgr0826
If you think about it, the wall is just going to be the foundation for the elevator.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by zgr0826
Actually, I do. However, this joke set itself up. It would have been improper of me not to do it.
New categorical imperative: if there is a joke about the wall to be made, it must be made.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
if they build the wall high enough it could be the elevator
All these wall jokes. It makes me so happy.

Quote by ErikLensherr

It's ridiculous to expect that Mexico would build the wall.

Outsource that shit to China, they already have the expertise!
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911

Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by Arby911
Yeah. as soon as we can develop a material that will take the strain...

If you have Netflix there's a documentary about the development. Last I heard they are aiming for a seemingly ridiculously optimistic date of 2035
I feel sorry for all those people that worked on the satellite. £150m completely wasted and no internet for parts of Africa.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by OddOneOut
I feel sorry for all those people that worked on the satellite. £150m completely wasted and no internet for parts of Africa.

I haven't read much about this one, but most satellite launches are heavily insured, so it's probably only a partial loss financially and I suspect another will be built.
Charles Darwin
Bummer. I'd like to see the results of the investigation.

Looks like the explosion occurred right near the marrying of the first and second stage, which I only assume is fueled by LOX?

Fueling has historically been dangerous, with early ICBMs having to be fueled by individuals in protective suits because of such toxicity.
My God, it's full of stars!
Favourite video about space elevator

dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

"According to Space News, which reviewed Spacecom filings with the Tel Aviv stock exchange, the joint lease cost $95m over five years and included a provision requiring Spacecom to purchase an insurance policy specifically covering Facebook and Eutelsat’s risks, in addition to its own insurance. Space News also reported that both Facebook and Eutelsat would each have additional insurance policies for the satellite."

From: https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/sep/01/mark-zuckerberg-spacex-explosion-africa-internet

Relevant Link: http://spacenews.com/facebook-eutelsat-to-pay-spacecom-95m-for-ka-band-lease/
Charles Darwin
Quote by slapsymcdougal
If you think about it, the wall is just going to be the foundation for the elevator.

If they just build the wall on its side, they'll end up a good bit into space.
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; man got to tell himself he understand.

We wouldn't need all this carbon fuel if we'd only install space wind mills
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by eGraham
We wouldn't need all this carbon fuel if we'd only install space wind mills
SPACE WIND CAN'T MELT STEEL BEAMS
Quote by Diemon Dave
slapsymcdougal
Now that you mention it... Doesn't that fireball look a little too real? I mean, it's like they want us to really believe that this rocket exploded, but what if this is just a false flag for us to invade space to get access to their space oil?

NO BLOOD FOR SPACE OIL

Quote by ErikLensherr

Another set back in Elon Musk's quest to contact his home planet.
It didn't take long to realise
The safest place was not her arms, but her eyes
Where she can't see you
For her gaze, it blisters;
Grey skin to cinders

Required response for any discussion of walls

This is a pretty major fuckup, though.

Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by Arby911
"According to Space News, which reviewed Spacecom filings with the Tel Aviv stock exchange, the joint lease cost $95m over five years and included a provision requiring Spacecom to purchase an insurance policy specifically covering Facebook and Eutelsat’s risks, in addition to its own insurance. Space News also reported that both Facebook and Eutelsat would each have additional insurance policies for the satellite."

From: https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/sep/01/mark-zuckerberg-spacex-explosion-africa-internet

Relevant Link: http://spacenews.com/facebook-eutelsat-to-pay-spacecom-95m-for-ka-band-lease/

I'm aware that satellites are lucratively insured while on-orbit, but do these policies also cover launches as well? Once on orbit, the preponderance of problems is (I can only assume) significantly less than the likelihood of damage (or total loss, as is the case) during launch and boosting.
Quote by Dreadnought
I'm aware that satellites are lucratively insured while on-orbit, but do these policies also cover launches as well? Once on orbit, the preponderance of problems is (I can only assume) significantly less than the likelihood of damage (or total loss, as is the case) during launch and boosting.

From what I've been able to find, yes, launch failure is covered. But I don't suppose it's cheap...

I've also read that the customer doesn't acquire title to the bird until it's in orbit and tested, which I suspect is why the manufacturers require said insurance.
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Sep 2, 2016,
Quote by Arby911

talk to China Garden.

she knows all Chinese.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Did all that money from facebook ads and personalised ad delivery just go up in flames on the launchpad?
Yep, the Falcon grenaded, insurance picks up the tab, Space X gathers a bunch of new data titled: "when a launch goes wrong", and folks will have to wait a little longer for satellite internet. Tough business that.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
Yep, the Falcon grenaded, insurance picks up the tab, Space X gathers a bunch of new data titled: "when a launch goes wrong", and folks will have to wait a little longer for satellite internet. Tough business that.
It'll be interesting to see what their investigation actually turns up as the cause.
Quote by Diemon Dave
I just think of all those horrible ads on fb and the invasion of privacy they use just to inject your brain with sh!t. I couldnt think of a more appropriate way to spend it than a huge fireball. Did no one get killed? That would be amazing.
Quote by OddOneOut

yeah poor kids in africa could have eaten that satellite !
what a waste !

lol but srsly we waste too much money on space exporation
gov should be investing that money in the people on this planet instead

and why are we still blowing shit up in 2016? Like this kinda stuff shouldn't be happening with that level of funding and education
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Last edited by k.lainad at Sep 3, 2016,
Quote by k.lainad
what a waste !

and why are we still blowing shit up in 2016? Like this kinda stuff shouldn't be happening with that level of funding and education
This had nothing to do with exploration, it was an attempt to provide rural areas of Africa with the ability to shitpost and to learn the wonders of hashtags and dank memes.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by k.lainad
what a waste !

Forgive him Father, he knows not what he says
Page 1 of 2