More particularly, a single technique i've had problems with. In Avenged Sevenfold's songs, they often like to incorporate things like this:

E|-----------------10-11-12-13-12-11-10-11-12-13-12-11----|
B|-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
G|-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
D|-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
A|-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
D|-------------------------------------------------------------------------|

e|-12-13-14-15-14-13-12-13-14-15-14-13--13-15-16-17-16-15-13-15-16-17-16-15|
B|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
G|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
D|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
A|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
D|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

e|-17-18-21-18-17------------------17-18-20~-------------------------------------|
B|----------------------18-17-18-20----------------------------------------------------|
G|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
D|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
A|--------------------------------------------------0(Guitar 3 does this)-----------|
D|----------------------------------------------------------0-------------------------------|
Please tell me! What is this technique! It's like legato but its not! I'm very troubled.
I'm a newbie to the forums, so don't be harsh. But anyways, please help me, because i can't look up tutorials for this technique if i don't even know it's name!
Do you have a specific song in mind? The example you posted is mostly just chromatics, it'd be good to hear it in the song you got it from, would make giving you tips easier.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
i remember that song, it's just alternate picked isn't it? you just have to be honest with yourself and work at it at speeds that you can manage. you should try practicing this stuff unplugged - if you're meticulous about playing every note clearly, you'll be surprised at how much you will have seemed to improve when you play through the amp again.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Just out of interest, when you say "newbie" exactly how long have you been playing for? Simply because whilst that's not the most complicated piece of guitar work ever written it's not exactly easy either?

Like people have said it's simply fast alternate picking, however if you've not been playing long it's going to be way out of your reach. If you're regularly playing Metallica or Pantera solos with no problems then you shouldn't have a problem grinding it up to speed. However if you're literally just starting out then no amount of practice is going to really help you with that particular piece - you need to work on slower stuff and improve you're all-round playing skill and technique first.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull I'm a newbie to the forums, but I've been playing for a year. I still haven't gotten a name for the technique. My fret hand isn't fast enough and I'm trying to train it. My ring finger won't raise as high as the others from my hand and it won't operate independently from my middle finger
To be honest even after a year I'd say it's pushing it to be able to play that piece, however everyone does progress at different rates so it's definitely possible - it just depends what your current skill level is...personally I know I wouldn't have had a hope of playing that after just a year.

And there is no name for the technique, it's just picking done very fast. However the issue you have isn't speed, it's control - you can't really force yourself to play faster. What you need to do is get better , work on making your picking and fretting more controlled, more efficient, more consistent and improve your rhythm and snychronisation of your hands. The better your technique is, the faster you'll be able to play.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Any advice for me then? I want to be a great soloist. I know it's gonna take time but is there anything I can do to help hone my skills, maybe something off the guitar?
I recommend Pebber brown videos on YouTube play along with Module 1 - part 1 for 10 mins I bet you'll improve.

Also the other day I saw someone joined this forum in 2008 and has only started playing guitar this year....
🍗🎹🎶🎼🎧🎤🎮👾🎸🎨🎷⚽️🎱🏁🎺🎻🍮🍰🍪📱👻🐔🐣🐥🐤🐽🐷💀👽💩💸🚽👻
Thank you dudes. I fucking hate module one but I'll do it if it makes me better! I'll literally do anything to get better man.
The technique is indeed alternate picking as mentioned above. To get it to a certain seed literally takes years! I used to play up to 5h a day and still im not fast enough to really shred like the best. But also as mentioned above everyone gains at his own pace. The advice i would give is to pick each string relatively hard and use a thick pick and a metronome. Get the bpm's up by 5 to 10 increments each time but only do so if you mastered the tempo you came from completely. Good dvd lessons for this technique in the style ur looking for are the 'speed kills' series by michael angelo batio. Good luck!
Last edited by JDtooshort at Sep 9, 2016,
Guitar137335 thank you for this. I've been doing this and the 0-4-7 thing as warm ups and I'm finally improving at the Bat Country solo!!! You guys are seriously the best. Thank you.