Page 1 of 2
So I was listening to (Hey, Won't You Play) Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song and it occurred to me that while the song itself is very good the actual arrangement in the original BJ Thomas recording is not a good arrangement. They don't use the pedal steel effectively, it is filled with cheesy 70s strings, there is this goofy brass solo where there should be a fiddle solo, etc.

What are some songs that you think are great songs with poor arrangements? Conversely, what are some bad songs that you think have particularly great arrangements that have been wasted on bad songs?

Also I'm trying to avoid covers here because there are many bands that intentionally create dramatically different arrangements in different styles (crooked covers or whatever people want to call them) and those very often just don't have good arrangements, especially covers of pop songs.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
springsteen songs

theres just too much going on

i mean yeah born in the usa and glory days are alright

but not every song needs an entire brass section and 7 guitarists plus a pianist and the rhythm section and whatever the hell else he has happening
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Some Nights by Fun. has some brilliant melodies and atmosphere, but the arrangement totally sucks
PM me for newts
The fucking trumpets at the end of "I think I Lost My Headache."

Completely unnecessary and just a bunch of cacophonous bullshit.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
If Tosin Abasi came to me with all his ideas I feel that I would arrange them better. I love animals as leaders but I feel that the songs don't go anywhere. Some melodies don't get repeated, some sections don't need to be there. I like my music progressive but I like it to have substance. Like Chopin.
Quote by soundgarden1986
I think that's the point but then it's like congrats u were bad on purpose gg

tru

Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by zgr0826

Totally disagree

Anyway Id say pretty much the entire production of age of adz. You can tell sufjan's illinois style of songwriting is still there, but its just buried under all of these electronics that arent even that good
The Carpenters had a lot of good songs I feel would be better with different instruments.

A lot of 80s pop songs had good shit going on but is just a bunch of cheesy synth tracks.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
If Tosin Abasi came to me with all his ideas I feel that I would arrange them better. I love animals as leaders but I feel that the songs don't go anywhere. Some melodies don't get repeated, some sections don't need to be there. I like my music progressive but I like it to have substance. Like Chopin.

Oh wow missed this at first

Never change bro
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Never change

Quote by ErikLensherr

Yeah, BJ Thomas was "country-pop". He also did "Raindrops are Fallin' on my Head", which was huge.
Nearly all Tool songs have some sort of merit in terms of writing but I cannot fucking stand how they turned out tbh
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Most of the popular math rock really

The sections might be sprawling and noodly but underneath it all is an ABABCBB

after a while that's just boring, whereas something a little more varied can work better
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by TobusRex
I like Jerry Reed, but when I was learning this song and heard his version....ugh!

Oh yeah. I remember listening to that one time. It's not good at all and that goes beyond the arrangement. Dolly Parton did a cover a few years back that was really good and it made me wonder why there isn't dobro in more covers of that song.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by JustRooster
BJ Thomas isn't "real" country.

Well obviously not. That's why the arrangement of the song is so hokey.
Quote by Banjocal
Most of the popular math rock really

The sections might be sprawling and noodly but underneath it all is an ABABCBB

after a while that's just boring, whereas something a little more varied can work better

what sort of 'math rock' do you enjoy

are you a drive like jehu kinda guy?
q and not u?
nation of ulysses?

i'm not sure if that's the music you're talking about so fill me in
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by theogonia777
Well obviously not. That's why the arrangement of the song is so hokey.

Yeah there was quite a bit of hokey country pop going on in the 70s.

A lot of listeners were not so keen on the musical arrangements as much as the catchy lyrics especially if the chorus was catchy enough to stick in their heads.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Sep 1, 2016,
The year 39 by queen. Thats a really good song when just played as a strumming folk song but the album version is just way over-arranged.
Quote by StewieSwan
Some Nights by Fun. has some brilliant melodies and atmosphere, but the arrangement totally sucks

that shit sounds like the lion king

Quote by zgr0826

wrong
Quote by Eastwinn
what sort of 'math rock' do you enjoy
Sorry for the late reply.

I like a lot of the midwestern stuff that's just adopted the time sigs and angular melodies but the post-hardcore influenced stuff has got me going more recently. I really enjoy a group called 37500 Yens. Stuff like TTNG is a given but I've found myself drifting from them recently. About Tess are p great but they're not that odd-time-signaturey-y
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Primus2112
springsteen songs

but not every song needs an entire brass section and 7 guitarists plus a pianist and the rhythm section and whatever the hell else he has happening

It's really only the first three albums (Greetings and The Wild.... + Born To Run with its wall of sound) that has lots going on, his other albums are all more restrained in instrumentation.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
>all these people defending the ITILMH horns

"No."

Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by zgr0826

"No."

Agree.

"Ooh it's really artsy and out there"

For 30 seconds, a minute tops maybe. But after that it's just irritating.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

Last edited by RAB11 at Sep 2, 2016,
Quote by Demon Wolf
It's really only the first three albums (Greetings and The Wild.... + Born To Run with its wall of sound) that has lots going on, his other albums are all more restrained in instrumentation.

i was talking more about his live show which is still great but every single song is over-arranged

Quote by zgr0826

"No."

wrong
Quote by TobusRex
I like Jerry Reed, but when I was learning this song and heard his version....ugh!

don't you say a bad word about Jerry Reed

I was just watching a tv show about The Carpenters and their hits
the commentators were talking about their great covers of songs but every time they played an excerpt of an original it was so much cooler than their saccharine blandness
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Primus2112
springsteen songs

that's what makes them so great, everything just flows and works together.
This song

I really really love Bon Iver, but that dissonant horn section and shit in the background the whole time ruins it
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
e street shuffle is pretty good i guess

@tallie personally i like the way that whole song sounds but i can see what you mean

i feel that way about some songs on for emma
I feel like the horn arrangement could have been a lot more....smoother I guess, like, it was going in a good direction and then someone was like, lets just make these horns all stop start and shit.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Way too many. It's sad when I hear a song and I go "hmm, that would be pretty good if there was more shit going on sonically"

"Folk" music being the usual culprit.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Igor Stravinsky

You throw like a girl. A girl who is great at baseball and has a fiery passion for the sport.
There are a few songs like that in my music playlist where if I'm playing along I'll play what I want instead.

For example, when I play "Sober" by Tool, instead of the quiet verses, I tend to play really hard staccato riffs to match the bassline
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
I was listening to Boris's Flood earlier, and I thought to myself during the first 10 minutes, "This could really use something else besides this guitar loop and drum."

Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by i_lovemetallica
There are a few songs like that in my music playlist where if I'm playing along I'll play what I want instead.

For example, when I play "Sober" by Tool, instead of the quiet verses, I tend to play really hard staccato riffs to match the bassline

Not gonna lie, the horse I'm on right now is pretty damn high
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Fite me ok
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Radiohead and Tool are similar in the fact that both f their first albums are trash apart from one fantastic song.

Quote by ErikLensherr

Page 1 of 2