Me and my friends are looking to start a grunge band, influenced by Nirvana, Mudhoney, Soundgarden, etc. We want our sound to be heavily influenced by 80's/90's Seattle grunge, but using modern equipment.
Right now I'm running a Mexican Fender HSS Stratocaster with a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge. I also have a BOSS DS-1X distortion pedal and a EHX Small Clone Chorus pedal. The only thing I need now is an amplifier to get the sound I want.
Since my budget for an amp is at most $600, right now I'm looking at the possibility of getting one of Fender's new Bassbreaker amps. I like the fact that I can buy a Bassbreaker 007 for practicing at home, then rent a Bassbreaker 45W tube head to get the same general sound when playing a gig in conjunction with whatever cabinet the venue has. My other option was to just get a Fender Champion 100 for practicing, and then rent a '65 Deluxe Reverb head for shows.
If anyone has another idea, please feel free to share it as I don't have a lot of experience in amplifiers. Thanks very much.
Why would you rent? 600 dollars can get you something nice I'd think that you can use both at home and live.

I'd look at a Peavey Classic 30 and a Marshall DSL40(1). If you're looking to get all the drive from the pedal, there's probably tons of Fenders you can get like the Hot Rod Deluxe and Deville.
I own a HRD and love it. Not the best for grunge- the Bassbreakers would be a far better option for that genre.

Jet City would be better, and quite affordable.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Ideally, if I were going your route I'd be looking at a Twin or a Bassman, a DS-1 and a Big Muff.... then add other dirt boxes as I could afford them - Fuzz Face, Super Fuzz, SansAmp, etc.

If I had $600 I'd be hitting up the local pawnshops and buying the loudest amp I could find for $600.

A Deluxe with a Greenback sounds pretty f*cking good too.
Last edited by some_dude_2 at Sep 3, 2016,