Hi, I'm looking at buying a loop pedal but im not 100% sure what im looking for, whether I want to get a loop station or something like the zoom G3 with a 40sec loops in it? Any tips or pros and cons?

I'm using an Epiphone les Paul custom with a Vox valvetronix amp
Last edited by djlewis2 at Sep 1, 2016,
I use a Digitech Jamman Express for simple loops of chord progressions for practice. It has a lot of record time, but most of my loops are less than 15 seconds- I am not looping whole songs. It is a great tool to practice scales over chords (improvisation).
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Zoom is pretty much the only looper with a drum machine built in. You can't save anything. If you want a looper that saves your loops or can play backing tracks then a dedicated looper is the way to go.
My main beef with loopers are those that do not have tempo sync. What I mean by that is the slight variable times you hit the record and play switch and/or any latency involved can throw off the meter of the recorded track. So you could accidentally end up with a 3.5/4 measure or a 4.5/4 measure, when trying to play in strict 4/4 time. Also without any sort of beat, you can easily speed up/slow down your recording without knowing it, making it feel odd when playing over it. The Zoom G3 has tempo sync, so that when you hit record/play it lines up properly. It also has drum tracks that play alongside the looping which makes recording easier and more fun. Or at least that was my experience with it. As well as I have limited experience with "really good" loopers so that may be a bias. However, I would not buy the G3 just for its looping feature, and the drum tracks need a FRFR system to sound good, not a guitar amp. The G3 has other great features but when using looping and drum tracks I would use headphones with it.

The TC Electronic Ditto (small version) does not have any sort of tempo sync but for its price and usability, it is great for bedroom practice. It does not save though. I hear good things about the Jamman as well. TC Also just released the Wiretap which is more or less a recorder but it can work as a looper methinks. Look into it.

I think the question I should ask is: Are you just looking for casual bedroom jamming or are you wanting professional looping? I think there is a definite difference between the two. Personally for bedroom jamming, I look up backing tracks on Youtube, wear headphones that leak noise in easily, and jam along with the amp set reasonably. Costs very little money that way. If you buy an Audio Interface and a mic for your amp, you can record directly from your amp to your computer and playback the track with headphones, and listen to your improv over it as well. That will keep your amp signal cleaner as it is not trying to do two guitar tracks at once.
Last edited by Will Lane at Sep 2, 2016,
Thanks for the tip, although my amp has a lot of built in effects, I can't run more than 2 at most at once. Which is why th G3 may be a good option.

In terms of what I play, I do play live gigs and things but I don't think I'd need more than a 40sec loop and I shouldn't need to save it. So I'm not particularly fussed if Its a professional loops or the G3
Last edited by djlewis2 at Sep 2, 2016,
I just recently got a Electro Hamonix Nano 360. I got it because it is the only one for that price that will store multiple loops. (11 to be exact) I wanted a basic looper that I can get my feet wet. the Saving a number of loops is a great tool.