Hello there! I'm having trouble deciding which guitar amp head to get. I've decided that I want a Mesa or Marshall cab, but I'm very uncertain about the head. I was set on a Peavey 6505/5150 head because I've heard very good things about it but now I'm not as certain because I've been listening to different music lately. I want something that can be semi-versatile. I play some Metallica and Megadeth (thrash stuff) but I also love to play a lot of different stuff. I'd like to choose a head that I can use to play and sound like old school thrash but also sound like Limp Bizkit's Wes Borland, Korn's Head, Slipknot's Mick Thomson, and Accept's Wolf Hoffman. I'm uncertain if I can get a sound similar to those on the head that I was set on, and also the Peavey isn't easy to find in the area I live in so I was wondering what else there is that I can take a look at. If the pickup makes any difference I'm about to put in new pickups into my guitars, one with a hot passive in it (L500XL) and the other with an active (SD Blackout)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Who needs shred when you've got rhythm guitar? :^)
Guitars:
Jackson King V (With a Wilde L500XL in the bridge)
Ibanez Iron Label RGIX27FEQM (7-string)
Well thing is, you're not going to get all those tones with one amp head. Each of their tones is drastically different, and some of them have characteristics that you just can't dial in to any amp. You're not going to get Mick Thompson's low end can of bees sound while at the same time, just a few dial spins later, get Metallica's scooped ...And Justice tone.
Ibanez Art100 (DiMarzio Evo in bridge)
Epiphone Goldtop (SD Black Winters
6505+ Head
Avatar 2x12 (Eminence Gov/Swamp Thang)
Quote by AsOneIStand
Well thing is, you're not going to get all those tones with one amp head. Each of their tones is drastically different, and some of them have characteristics that you just can't dial in to any amp. You're not going to get Mick Thompson's low end can of bees sound while at the same time, just a few dial spins later, get Metallica's scooped ...And Justice tone.

Yeah I know but there must be some kind of amp out there than can both be heavy and also have enough flexibility to have a more thrashy tone
Guitars:
I love the JCM recommendation. However. It's not gonna nail all those tones.

What's your budget? Sounds to me like you need a Fractal Axe FX or, a Mesa Boogie Roadking. You actually may be able to find a Roadking combo used cheaper than a separate cab/head. Maybe a Mark series mesa?
dual rec or maybe on the cheaper side, a JSX.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by adexder
Yeah I know but there must be some kind of amp out there than can both be heavy and also have enough flexibility to have a more thrashy tone

The 6505+ can. You're not going to nail any of those tones without either the equipment they used or some kind of processor or amp modeler. The 6505+ can get heavy as hell on the lead channel and rhythm channel with a boost. The rhythm channel has an old school Marshally sound while the lead is a blistering channel of absolute hate. That's why I like mine, because I can dial in two different eras into one amp. You should give one a try. I would recommend the 6505/5150, but the Rhythm and Lead channels have shared EQ which I don't like. The + has a more upper midrange focus while the original carries a lower mid emphasis, but both are crushing.
6505+ Head
Quote by AsOneIStand
The 6505+ can.

How about the EVH 5150s? Do any of them equal to any of the 6505+ series heads? I've heard that the 6505 is basically a re-labeled 5150 but I'm not quite sure.
Guitars:
That is correct. When Eddie Van Halen left Peavey, he took the name 5150 with him. The 6505/6505+ are just relabeled 5150/5150II's respectively. I don't know much about the 5150 III's.
6505+ Head
Quote by adexder
How about the EVH 5150s? Do any of them equal to any of the 6505+ series heads? I've heard that the 6505 is basically a re-labeled 5150 but I'm not quite sure.

Peavey 5150=6505

Peavey 5150II=6505+

EVH 5150 (fender) is totally different.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/