Hello!!

I want to downtune my 7 string Ibanez RG3727-FZ to the following tuning (fat low to high) - G D G C F A D, to allow me to play the one finger power chord with the bottom three strings.

I'm not sure what string gauge to go for, I was thinking of a 7 String Power slinky (11-58) however should I go fatter? Any string brand recommendations apart from Ernie Ball would be appreciated as well thanks!

Regards

Chargril3d
Last edited by Chargrill3d at Sep 2, 2016,
I use an 11-70 set on my 25.5 inch scale 7-string in drop A. 11-58 will be way too floppy on the lower strings. I use La Bella strings for my 7. They make very nice balanced sets for the 7 string, whereas D'addario and Ernie Ball (and others) haven't quite caught up in my opinion.
I personally use the power slinky set on my Carvin 7 tuned down like that. I don't feel that the low strings are floppy at all. It all comes down to preference, and I know mine on this topic is pretty unpopular around here. Give the 11-58s a shot, or whatever size you want, see if you like it, and go from there.

As for different brands, I'm a EB guy, so I'm not much help.
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
Definitely want to go heavier than a 58 for the low G.

That being said, you should probably be more concerned about your amp reproducing those low notes. There is a huge cutoff of frequencies below your A string (the 5th in standard tuning which is 110Hz). You're tuned an octave and change lower than that. Guitar amps have a hard enough time producing the low E string to begin with but now you're going to be pushing it even farther. It's not that that is a problem, but it's just something to consider that a lot of 7 string players don't.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by BCKRedBaron
I personally use the power slinky set on my Carvin 7 tuned down like that. I don't feel that the low strings are floppy at all. It all comes down to preference, and I know mine on this topic is pretty unpopular around here. Give the 11-58s a shot, or whatever size you want, see if you like it, and go from there.

As for different brands, I'm a EB guy, so I'm not much help.

11-58 Power Slinkys are absolutely fine, quite surpised actually. Someone lent me K7 with some 60s on the low and I didn't like the fatness so took a punt on the Power Slinkys - you're spot on.

Quote by theogonia777
Definitely want to go heavier than a 58 for the low G.

That being said, you should probably be more concerned about your amp reproducing those low notes. There is a huge cutoff of frequencies below your A string (the 5th in standard tuning which is 110Hz). You're tuned an octave and change lower than that. Guitar amps have a hard enough time producing the low E string to begin with but now you're going to be pushing it even farther. It's not that that is a problem, but it's just something to consider that a lot of 7 string players don't.

I'm actually using a Kemper which actually handles down tuning really well