Hi everyone. I was just wondering if anyone could help me. I'm practicing my guitar scales really slow like 10 bpm slow and I'm really struggling playing the scales 3 or 4 times without hitting the wrong note or unwanted string noise. I'm trying to see what I'm doing wrong but I don't know. It's easier when I move the metronome higher in tempo so is 10 bpm too slow thanks.
Last edited by dannyjp97 at Sep 2, 2016,
10bpm? Like one click every 6 seconds? That's not a tempo, that's a slow drip. Did you mean 100 bpm?

Start with quarter notes at 60bpm. Slow it down if you have to, but once you get below 50bpm it gets tough just feeling the tempo.

It's pretty hard to diagnose the problem without seeing what you're dong. Can you post a video of your playing?
No I do mean 10 bpm it was painfully slow I have to admit haha, but thanks for the comment I will try that.
It's true that you'll often hear the advice "slow down", however it's important to keep that in context. So yes, it's absolutely a good thing to practice your exercises at a slow tempo. However just take a second to think about 10bpm there. Have you ever heard a song that's at a tempo of 10bpm? Have you ever heard a passage in a song that's at 10bpm?

The answer is going to be no, so likewise there's not really anything to be gained from going THAT slow. The point of playing slower is to acclimatise yourself with the motions required for whatever it is you're playing and also work on improving your control and accuracy. However there still needs to be enough of a tempo for it to feel like music and for there to be a rhythm you can lock into - 10 bpm is just waaaaaay tooo slloooooow!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
dannyjp97 As the others are saying, it still needs to feel musical, and playing one note per click at somewhere between 40 - 60 bpm is a useful area for developing fine control. Make sure you add in licks or parts of solos, chord changes, whatever, as scales played literally up and down are neither musical, nor motivational. Suggest you always keep musicality first, with technique subservient to that.

If you keep hitting wrong notes, write down which/where, and see if a pattern is developing there ... for example, maybe using your little finger makes the mistake happen, or maybe it's a memory thing? Hone in, and concentrate on fixing the mistakes ... don't reinforce them!
Last edited by jerrykramskoy at Sep 3, 2016,
Quote by wolflen
cdgraves

here is a unique outlook on playing fast..play faster...

http://www.fretdojo.com/speed-picking/

Interesting video but he is developing speed, not developing technique.
I think you have to get the technique down at a slower speed (no unwanted sting noise/wrong notes as the OP stated) and then you can try bursting to increase speed.
SpiderM agree...but the post was replied to cdgraves...who has been a regular on these posts for quite a while..thought he might enjoy the link..
play well

wolf
Quote by wolflen
SpiderM agree...but the post was replied to cdgraves...who has been a regular on these posts for quite a while..thought he might enjoy the link..

No worries, it was an interesting video!
That approach is actually near what I've been doing lately for speed. I spent a really long doing technique workouts at lower tempos (60-96) just to build a technical foundation, and recently just started doing everything at 120+. Being able to play reliably and effectively at those tempos is pretty essential. Of course if you don't put in the slow work first, the fast work won't happen.

Speed "bursts" are definitely a good way to ease into it. Sometimes you have to slow down and build up the technique, but eventually you do have to push the speed to keep developing technique. It's often the case that you don't know you're making technical mistakes until you do something that reveals them.

The part where he recommends vastly exceeding your ability is good, too, as long as you don't get caught up and accidentally learn mistakes.