I own an acoustic guitar and have been playing it now for almost 1 year. I am good at playing open chords, barre chords and basically play any song I come across if it is not from a pro artist, I mean like Stop this train by John Mayer. I know how to play scales like minor pentatonic, minor scale, blues scale etc. but have to practice them. When I practice scales, it’s noisy for my family as I get time only during night hours.

I am thinking of buying new electric guitar, practice without amp. Will it curb enough noise? Is buying a new guitar wise decision to make as I am at the early stage of learning guitar? And I am afraid
that may be I quit playing guitar in future due to time constraints or due to other family responsibilities. Is it wise to invest US$ 300 at this stage?
I am thinking of buying new electric guitar, practice without amp. Will it curb enough noise? Is buying a new guitar wise decision to make as I am at the early stage of learning guitar? And I am afraid
that may be I quit playing guitar in future due to time constraints or due to other family responsibilities. Is it wise to invest US$ 300 at this stage?

First of all:
Playing without amp isn't neccessary.
Tons of amps support regular headphones. If you use one of them, you can play without having to worry about people who want to sleep.
Other people will only hear the acoustic sound of your electric guitar if they are in the same room and even then it is very quiet in comparison to an acoustic guitar. I wouldn't use an electric guitar just to play it like an acoustic though. It is a similar but still a different instrument.
If you decide to get one, you may as well explore a wide variety of tones with an amp + headphones.
About the last question: If you really like playing guitar, I doubt that you'll actually quit. I may be wrong because I don't know your situation but will you really not even have enough time to play for 30 to 60 minutes per day?
Last edited by juvion at Sep 2, 2016,
If you have a PC, laptop or heck even a phone there is plenty of free amp modelling software available that you could use with headphones and not need to buy an amp. I believe there are silent guitars available too but i have no experience at all with them.

Playing an electric guitar unamped (acoustically) is a good way of developing bad technique if you intend to ever use it plugged in. Things can sound completely different even with minimal distortion.

Also your family might still find the sound of you playing an electric too loud at night. I can only play mine with my thumb/fingers if my partner is sleeping in another room. Picks hitting strings make a significant amount of noise.
Last edited by chrisazgo1 at Sep 3, 2016,
^ yeah. an unplugged electric is normally a good bit quieter than an acoustic, but may still be too loud. and some are louder than others (a tremolo often cuts unplugged noise a bit).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
chrisazgo1

Thank you for your inputs Chris.

This makes sense. I went to guitar store today and tried few guitars. They still make some sound acoustically but I suppose my partner won't be bothered with little sound.

Can you tell me how can I use my phone or lappy as an amp?
Thank you for your inputs Chris.

This makes sense. I went to guitar store today and tried few guitars. They still make some sound acoustically but I suppose my partner won't be bothered with little sound.

Can you tell me how can I use my phone or lappy as an amp?
FWIW, there ARE some electrics ("hybrids") that are quiet but sound very much like a good acoustic. One such is the Taylor T5. It's not as quiet as, for example, a Les Paul, but it's also not as loud as one of Taylor's acoustic guitars. Try one out if you find one in a store somewhere.

Last edited by dspellman at Sep 3, 2016,
I use an electric guitar and an Amplug. Cheap, takes up zero space and is 100% portable. Walk around anywhere, doesn't matter.
Irig HD or Apogee Jam as an iphone interface, regular guitar cable and some studio headphones. Bias FX for the software. Probably $120-150 total for all that.
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you