Hello, all, I'm looking for amp recommendations! I'm trying to keep it under $500, but will extend to at most $600. I live in Las Vegas, and we have a Sam Ash and two Guitar Centers out here. I would rank myself as a beginner, as I have played off-and-on for a few years, but definitely don't take that entirely into consideration, as this is all planning for the future. I don't care if it's a tube amp or an SS, so long as it can take a few pedals well (most likely a distortion/tube screamer, reverb, etc). I would prefer it to either be headphone-capable or at least decent at low levels (small bedroom); but I also would like it to be able to be loud whenever I decide to go out an practice with friends and their love of loudness. If it's a head instead of a combo, then the $600 is a serious stretch, and I would like it to be around $400-500 preferably. I do plan on going in to test it out for its pedal compatibility and all that good stuff occasionally before I purchase it.

My current crap-rig:
Blackstar ID:Core 10 (it's pretty decent for such a small thing)
Jackson JS22-7 (I ordered a Seymour Duncan Pegasus since I do plan on keeping this for a while and like to be prepared ahead of time. My lowest tuning is and will forever be Drop A, but I do plan on playing in B Standard for certain things).

Genres/bands I enjoy the sound of:
Deathcore: Carnifex, Fit For An Autopsy, Rose Funeral,
Death Metal: Aborted, Decapitated, Man Must Die, Nile, Cattle Decapitation
Prog: Cynic, Dream Theater, abstracts, Protest the Hero (Kezia and Volition)

Thanks for your help!
I fucking love protest. And Grawgos Avatar.

Maybe something in the tiny terror/micro terror range by Orange. Not a whole lot of head room though
Get a Carvin. I got a V16 nice little amp takes pedals like a champ all tube 16 or 5 watt setting. Sounds great just a great all around little rig. Under 600 you can get a nomad 50 watt amp from them too. Bad part about Carvin is that it is order only which made me a bit skeptical too but after getting one have no regrets.
Jet City is right up your alley. Sweet SLO hi gain and decent build quality. Lotta bang for the buck.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
The Orange Crush Pro line is sweet. With an od in front it handles metal well. I run a js22-7 as well. Though I have the head version. Give one a shot if you can. The cr60 and cr120 combo should be within range, plus a boss sd1 for over drive. Sweet reverb built in too.
JSX/XXX/ultra combos?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Cajundaddy I was thinking the same thing, but I think the OP needs clean headroom.
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
Last edited by 8Len8 at Sep 3, 2016,
Thanks for your suggestions so far! Don't worry about the little details too much; as I said, I do plan on trying out as many of your recommendations as possible. Maybe I'll end up getting something most wouldn't really expect lol.
Seriously people? This is GG&A, and what you need is a 6505/+!! Most the heavier bands you listed probably have used one, and it will work well for the more proggy stuff too.

I mean I'd recommend something else but in this case I really don't think anything else is going to be as good.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
if your just going to play/practice alone, a great place to start is something like a blackstar ht-1 or ht1-r if you wanted reverb. or a marshall dsl5c. Id suggest a class 5 but its really limited.

only gonna be good for you if you can deal with a small, quiet amp with great tone for anything. if you wanna jam with friends, its not gonna be the amp for you. but for literally anything else.

I just got one for myself. its a good sounding little tube amp, but its kinda quiet. still it can get enough gain to do some hard rock or metal, get great power tube overdrive and classic rock tones at bedroom levels, and surprisingly actually has a little clean headroom.

granted it wont be loud enough to jam with other people. ever.

I suppose, theoretically you COULD gig with one, if you used the speaker output to plug into a huge PA and had a sound man do your entire thing. but it wouldnt really be that great.

but you dont really need a lot of wattage.

to be honest, a 30w tube amp will never get full usage in a bedroom. thats a decent little club sized amp.

10-15w would be plenty for jamming unless your playing with a bunch of assholes who just get big amps and go loud for no reason.

I cant really advise a 1w tube amp if you intend to try to find friends to jam with right away.

but if your just gonna rock out at home, practice, do recordings (youtube, maybe even an album), then a little tube amp like that is AMAZING. you can get authentic classic rock and metal stack sounds, with the right stuff in front, in your bedroom at a fraction of the cost and volume.

id say a little 1-5w combo (marshall DSL5c, Marshall Class 5, Blackstar HT-1/Ht-1r) would be a great place to start, granted the class 5 is rather limited on its overdrive -- it can get great plexi type sounds, not much else.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
^for what he's looking to play I don't think any of those amps are going to be quite hard-hitting enough. He's playing some seriously wicked shit.
For this budget I don't think you can do better than a used 6505+ 112 combo ($300-$400). It will get the tones and have $ left for an overdrive (Joyo Vintage Overdrive is $30 new), EQ (used MXR 10-band 108EQ for $50-$70) and speaker swap (thinking a used Celestion K100 for those deep tones).
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Maybe also look at some of the Laney amps, I think the newer ones come with headphone outputs, although not 100% sure. Tone wise - the 6505 or 5150 seem to cover your aggressive metal side the best, but if you want to occasionally go clean, maybe the JSX which is a bit tamer on distortion but can still do.
Another possibility could be the Carvin V3 or V3m.
Quote by dementiacaptain
^for what he's looking to play I don't think any of those amps are going to be quite hard-hitting enough. He's playing some seriously wicked shit.

honestly, I myself am going to get a DSL20/40 watt switchable combo soon. only around $599-$699, and at sweetwater they have one with a better celestion speaker in it. that would probably be a better reccomendation around the price point with more power behind it.

agree to disagree on these not being heavy enough though? I used to have a JSX (look in my sig) and it was good for high gain without any pedals. but I rather like having an amp with manageable power tube overdrive as well as a higher gain channel. I find that these types of amps offer more flexibility, if i use boosts/overdrives/etc in front of the more heavily distorted channel. laying the different types of gain, overdrive, etc, nets me a tone I find preferrable.
honestly, Ive been able to get this little blackstar going pretty hard with a duncan '59 bridge pickup

but since then ive found an amp like a marshall DSL/JVM, or even the little blackstar, can even do full on death metal depending on if you can deal with classic, middie, less scooped and sterile metal tone.

granted, you'll need a kickass overdrive pedal in front., and maybe a boost. but after that your golden for anything.

this little blackstar easily handles Ozzy, metallica, megadeth, evh right out of the box, with no pedals. I was actually impressed with the amount of overdrive/gain I could push on this little guy, and the DSL would be even better.

the blackstar was just a small practice amp I could get really quick for cheap. its really great though, can go from bluesy crunch, to ac/dc, and all the way to metal on the second channel. and some clean headroom. great recording amp -- if I put a tubescreamer in front, it would be able to do anything.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Last edited by spiroth10 at Sep 7, 2016,
So far, here's what I've seen the most of and am thinking about: Peavey 6505+ 112, Peavey JSX (since someone said it can handle a bit lighter stuff than the 6505), the Laney amps (which one in particular were you guys talking about?), and maybe the Carvins. I would like it to be able to pull back a bit when necessary (not too much, but that's why the JSX recommendation caught my attention), but all-in-all, it'd basically be full-on aggressive. I'll just save money for a different amp for my lighter styles I'm into. And while I'm at it, unless you can really vouch for it, please no modeling amps. I have nothing against them, but since I decided this would be my extreme metal purchase, I'd rather have something more "traditional." I have had two modelers and I loved them for what they were.

I have actually played through the Blackstar HT-1 head and its cabs. I didn't get to try out its sounds for the brutal death metal side of things, but it was nice for the price with what I did try/hear. My friend actually owns one, but he's planning on upgrading to a 5150 or 6505. Sadly, he DOES like to play a bit more aggressive with the volume cranked a bit up. And since he's the person I'm planning on starting a (metalcore) band with, I'd probably need something that can at least compete a bit, while still being able to play my preferred genres. Thanks for your continuous suggestions and advice, guys!
Last edited by EveningRose at Sep 7, 2016,
Quote by EveningRose
So far, here's what I've seen the most of and am thinking about: Peavey 6505+ 112, Peavey JSX (since someone said it can handle a bit lighter stuff than the 6505), the Laney amps (which one in particular were you guys talking about?), and maybe the Carvins. I would like it to be able to pull back a bit when necessary (not too much, but that's why the JSX recommendation caught my attention), but all-in-all, it'd basically be full-on aggressive. I'll just save money for a different amp for my lighter styles I'm into. And while I'm at it, unless you can really vouch for it, please no modeling amps. I have nothing against them, but since I decided this would be my extreme metal purchase, I'd rather have something more "traditional." I have had two modelers and I loved them for what they were.

I have actually played through the Blackstar HT-1 head and its cabs. I didn't get to try out its sounds for the brutal death metal side of things, but it was nice for the price with what I did try/hear. My friend actually owns one, but he's planning on upgrading to a 5150 or 6505. Sadly, he DOES like to play a bit more aggressive with the volume cranked a bit up. And since he's the person I'm planning on starting a (metalcore) band with, I'd probably need something that can at least compete a bit, while still being able to play my preferred genres. Thanks for your continuous suggestions and advice, guys!

If you are planning on playing over a drummer I'd go with one of the higher wattage (50+) models then. You'll want the headroom.

All the ones you mentioned could work, all up to preference.
Quote by EveningRose

If he's going 6505 you can go JSX or Marshall DSL or Carvin or Laney to have some variety.
I think for Laney, that what we had in mind:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/laney-irt60h-60w-tube-guitar-amp-head?rNtt=laney%20tube%20amp&index=2

I played in metalcore band with one JSX and one 5150 and they blended great together. The guy with the JSX installed slightly hotter pickups in his guitar SD SH-12 and was fine.
There's a good chance he may end up being the bassist if we can't end up finding one here. If not, I'll have to work it out with him since he bumps the gain tremendously. And since he wants to install a Nazgul in his Ibanez, while I'd only have the Pegasus, I'd end up getting pretty drowned out. That Laney is a bit over my hopeful price range, but I may end up going for it anyways. However, it seems the JSX might be what I'm really looking for. Again, if you guys have any more suggestions, let me know!
Quote by EveningRose
There's a good chance he may end up being the bassist if we can't end up finding one here. If not, I'll have to work it out with him since he bumps the gain tremendously. And since he wants to install a Nazgul in his Ibanez, while I'd only have the Pegasus, I'd end up getting pretty drowned out. That Laney is a bit over my hopeful price range, but I may end up going for it anyways. However, it seems the JSX might be what I'm really looking for. Again, if you guys have any more suggestions, let me know!

To the contrary I'd say, if he jacks the gain up that much his sound is going to turn to mush live and you'll probably cut through better. He won't be any louder, just noisier.

This isn't related to the amp search, but make sure he understands that. A good live sound needs to cut through, and too much distortion is going to keep that from happening
Quote by spiroth10
if your just going to play/practice alone, a great place to start is something like a blackstar ht-1 or ht1-r if you wanted reverb. or a marshall dsl5c. Id suggest a class 5 but its really limited.

only gonna be good for you if you can deal with a small, quiet amp with great tone for anything. if you wanna jam with friends, its not gonna be the amp for you. but for literally anything else.

I just got one for myself. its a good sounding little tube amp, but its kinda quiet. still it can get enough gain to do some hard rock or metal, get great power tube overdrive and classic rock tones at bedroom levels, and surprisingly actually has a little clean headroom.

granted it wont be loud enough to jam with other people. ever.

I suppose, theoretically you COULD gig with one, if you used the speaker output to plug into a huge PA and had a sound man do your entire thing. but it wouldnt really be that great.

but you dont really need a lot of wattage.

to be honest, a 30w tube amp will never get full usage in a bedroom. thats a decent little club sized amp.

10-15w would be plenty for jamming unless your playing with a bunch of assholes who just get big amps and go loud for no reason.

I cant really advise a 1w tube amp if you intend to try to find friends to jam with right away.

but if your just gonna rock out at home, practice, do recordings (youtube, maybe even an album), then a little tube amp like that is AMAZING. you can get authentic classic rock and metal stack sounds, with the right stuff in front, in your bedroom at a fraction of the cost and volume.

id say a little 1-5w combo (marshall DSL5c, Marshall Class 5, Blackstar HT-1/Ht-1r) would be a great place to start, granted the class 5 is rather limited on its overdrive -- it can get great plexi type sounds, not much else.

I would not recommend the DSL5 or the DSL15. The low output power makes the amp seriously lacking some low end and overall tone. I would really go for the DS40C but it is outside of the budget unless you consider second hand. The DSL40C is a great amp, and is great not only for heavy music it has decent clean and really nice crunch tones. It does not take pedals as a Fender would, but a Fender would not go into the heavy music. It still works with a lot of pedals, and the effects loop is great for delays and reverbs. I personally like having a boost pedal in front of the amp in the crunch channel.
yeah I only mentioned it because the DSL40C that's also switchable to 20 watts, and such is only $100 or $200 out of his budget new.

like I said, as soon as I pay off this strat I bought and this small amp I got, im gonna make the jump and buy the DSL 40c.

granted you can probably do better in a 5150 for death metal, but I honestly prefer not having too much headroom, and having a wider range of available tones.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Quote by garrett999
This one is great for playing in home
https://gb.muzyczny.pl/119221_Laney-LX65R-combo-guitar-amplifier.html
But for this price i would choose vox
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AC15VR

.... Seriously? The guy mentions some of the heaviest bands making music and you come out with the LX65 and the AC15?
It's all good I just didn't honestly know if you were joking or not. Not knocking the AC15, just not for this
Quote by spiroth10
yeah I only mentioned it because the DSL40C that's also switchable to 20 watts, and such is only $100 or $200 out of his budget new.

like I said, as soon as I pay off this strat I bought and this small amp I got, im gonna make the jump and buy the DSL 40c.

granted you can probably do better in a 5150 for death metal, but I honestly prefer not having too much headroom, and having a wider range of available tones.

Yeah, the DSL40C is a great budget tube amp and it's quite versatile going from clean to crunch to distortion. At 40W it has enough clean headroom to keep up with a drummer. It is decent with the stock speaker, but, I am looking into a speaker swap. Did a swap to my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and I like the result. Now I would like to try a better quality speaker in the DSL.
I'm most likely getting a DSL40C, however, it's mainly for playing post-rock. I'm quite a lazy person (I installed my Pegasus just to only play my guitar plugged in once. I practice unplugged 99% of the time), so constantly switching settings would be a bother. So, let's just go straight up death metal(ish) with this one. Bands like Hour of Penance, Aborted, Wormed, Abnormality, Cattle Decapitation (newer), and Gorod have some nice guitar tones in my opinion. Any changes in your guys' recommendations, or are you still highly suggesting the 6505/5150, JSX, and Laney amps?
They are both still really awesome amps for that (the Peaveys), the Ironheart from Laney is probably a good bet too as is the V3. Maybe Marshall JCM900 SL-X (the SL-X is important) if you can live with one channel. Krank Rev or Krankenstein, or even a Nineteen80. Egnater Vengeance. Maaaybe a used Mesa Rectoverb.