I have a project for a class in which I'm modifying a strat. I was wondering what the differences between them where in terms of tone and range. The strat would be dive only (no matter how hard I try I can't like floating trems) so the main things that would matter would be the tonal differences and the range. Also, if I get the floyd where would I get the shims for the neck. I hear flush mounts have problems with that.
tone's probably a bit different- bit less shimmer, for want of a better word. sounds a bit more modern.

the note will dive a lot faster with a floyd (i think that's due to the locking nut) and you'll probably have more range too. conversely more subtle vibrato will likely be better on the strat trem. tuning stability should be better on the floyd.

i dunno about the shims. a lot of people just use (rigid) cardboard or whatever, i think. i seem to remember a post from someone on another forum (and a knowledgeable regular member, at that) where he bought a relatively expensive tonewood shim to replace the cheapo/free cardboard one he'd been using. he put the cardboard one back in because it sounded better. I haven't tried it myself, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My guitar tech used a business card. Works just fine and its something you can get immediately in most cases and usually free. I would do the Floyd because it just looks better in my opinion.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Quote by Ikillintel

just to point out, that's for the locking nut, not for a neck shim.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
*Headscratch* I always thought that a Floyd was a version of a synchronized trem. Why does the title say "vs?"
Dave_Mc Totally thought he was looking for a nut shim. I seen Shim and Floyd Rose and posted that link. Thanks for catching that Dave Mc.

Wow though, a "tone wood" shim. You see the Fender Strat they made out of corrugated cardboard right? Kinda kills the tone wood debate with electrics or how about the fiberglass bodies? Anyway ,I don't want to get a tone wood debate going in this dudes thread.
My newest addition,
2007 Dean Cadi-KILL (Cannibal Corpse) Rob Barrett Signature model to see more of my gear visit my profile.
dspellman it is, I think he means VS a hard tail.
My newest addition,
2007 Dean Cadi-KILL (Cannibal Corpse) Rob Barrett Signature model to see more of my gear visit my profile.
no worries
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?