A symchronized tremolo can be set to float, so can a nonrecessed floyd be able to float. I would understand that if possible it would have limited range.
Quote by 70001407
A symchronized tremolo can be set to float, so can a nonrecessed floyd be able to float. I would understand that if possible it would have limited range.

A nonrecessed Floyd does not necessarily allow pullups. You may not have any range for that at all.
actually you will have a tiny bit of pull up as long as the trem isn't sitting right on the body. when floyds first came out they were mounted in a manor that allowed a bit of pull up same as a standard fender style trem. it will sit off the body unlike a fender trem though.
^ yeah. you often can set up a non-recessed floyd to float, but as dspellman says, you wouldn't want to say for certain that that's the case with all guitars. i would imagine/hope that a shim might allow you to set it up to float, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by 70001407

If the guitar has a rear cavity loaded with springs attached to a claw at one end and the sustain block at the other it's "floating" whether recessed or top mounted. Explained another way, the tension of the springs should equal the amount of tension from the guitar strings thus "floating" Hope this helps.
My newest addition,
2007 Dean Cadi-KILL (Cannibal Corpse) Rob Barrett Signature model to see more of my gear visit my profile.
Yes, it just is only gonna have ~1.5 semitones of up pull.

They're supposed to float anyway, though. If they're not they aren't parallel.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Shimming it and raising the posts most likely.

If you just raise your bridge I would guess you're just gonna have awful high action as you go up the neck.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Shimming it and raising the posts most likely.

If you just raise your bridge I would guess you're just gonna have awful high action as you go up the neck.

when Floyds first came out they did float and the bridge was above the body. they had very limited pullup which is why the recessed cavity came about. if you are putting it on a guitar without that cavity you will likely have to shim the neck as the action won't be right otherwise. it also takes a bit of getting used to as whree you rest your hand won't be there. I had to adjust my playing to work with the FR when I got my first one in 83