I'm looking to buy an Ibanez guitar around the £400 mark that I can use for fast playing. Two guitars have caught my eye. Firstly, the RG350DXZ, and secondly the Steve Vai JEM Junior. They seem like fairly similar guitars, other than the beefed up aesthetics of the JEM. I'd like to ask if these are the guitars you would recommend in this price range and can someone point out differences in the guitars. I'm still fairly new to the world of guitars, so I apologise for any mistakes or confusion. I want a guitar with a Floyd rose style tremolo and a fast playing neck.
the big problem with floyds is that, in my opinion at least, you really want a good one or it'll be more bother than it's worth.

problem is you're talking the prestige range for that, so about double your budget.

if it doesn't have to be an ibanez there are probably other options. the charvel pro mods get a good rep and are a bit cheaper. I haven't tried the newer MIM versions, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave_Mc Ok, so I'm guessing you don't recommend either guitar due to the Floyds (well, Floyd-style) trem systems. The reason I want a Floyd is so I can do whammy bar stuff, for example like some of the guitar work in For The Love Of God by Vai. What are some other alternatives? The cheapest Charvel I can find is close to double my budget.
yeah that's the problem... it's really a judgment call on your part. the dearer floyd rose trems (which are on the dearer guitars) are a lot better, in my opinion at least. and the cheaper ones can wear out and then they don't stay in tune (and even before that rarely work as nicely as the dear ones, at least in my experience and opinion). it really depends on how badly you need the floyd and whether you think it's worth the risk. I guess if you get one which is a direct swap for a "good" trem you could swap it later (so probably a floyd rose special or something like that), but that costs a fair bit of money too (the "good" floyds, like the original floyd rose, schaller lockmeister, or gotoh, normally cost upwards of £130).

used might be worth considering, with some luck you could probably find something used within budget, but you run the risk of the trem already being banjaxed if the owner didn't look after it and if you don't know what to look for (and even if you do it's a bit hard to check on the fly).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You generally get what you pay for with Floyd's.

I'd get a used prestige at that budget
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Dave_Mc Ok thanks again for the response. I'll look around for some used but more premium guitars, as I want something that works as it should.
yeah. i mean, i don't have much time for people who rarely use a floyd telling newer players just to get a hardtail- i needed a floyd on my first guitar and would have been very annoyed had I not had one. Just the cheaper one I got wasn't much fun either- had I known then what I know now, I'd have tried (somehow) to afford the rg550 or 570 (both of which came with an original edge trem) intead of the 470 I got which had a lo-trs (and which was still a really nice guitar,MIJ and all, just the trem was the problem).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Look for a used Ibby RG550 or 570 like Dave said. Both are great guitars. You can normally find the 570 for cheaper than the 550 though.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13