I just got new strings for my Dean ML and I am trying to intonate the guitar to drop C tuning

String gauge being used is 10 - 56 on a 24.75" scale.

This is a used guitar that I've owned for about a month and so far I've enjoyed playing it. Like any common sense guitar owner I decided to do some routine maintenance on the instrument once my strings died. So I cleaned it, polished the fretboard, and reversed the tune o matic bridge so I could get to the intonation screws easier - in front of where the strings come through the body of the guitar as opposed to behind the bridge pick up where they were.

Once I had all of my strings on and up to pitch I was ready to go. I previously had set all of my string saddles to the middle so I had a good starting point. I started out adjusting the 6th string "C", played the note open til I had it up to the correct pitch, and then playing the 12th fret to see where the adjustment had to be made. I noticed that the note was sharp so I detuned my guitar til the string was at slack, and according to every source on the internet that I found on adjusting intonation, I adjusted the screw clockwise away from the nut of the guitar. Once I retuned the guitar back to pitch, I repeated this process about 4 or 5 times until the screw was tight on the 6th string with little difference being show on the 12th fret note. The same thing happened with the 5th, 3rd and 2nd strings, I completely tightened each one of those screws, and each one showed at least +25 cents sharp or just a little bit below it.

I read somewhere that it might be the pickups that I'm using; which are EMG actives, or that I might need to adjust my truss rod in order to get proper intonation. Before I rule any of those possibilities out, I would like to get a little help and advice from others who might have experienced the same thing. I could really use the help, this is my main 6 string that I use. Please and thank you.
That doesn't exactly explain why the note didn't seem to change every time I made an adjustment, but I'll take your word for it and try out what you're suggesting.
I can't explain that, unless the adjustments were too small to register. There is a risk that you will run out of intonation space before you get it right, with that low tuning. If that happens, you can win some more space by turning the saddles around t get the high side closest to the direction you want to go.
Nope, still no change and I made very large adjustments. I'm not sure turning my saddles around will do much.
Last edited by neurocide86 at Sep 3, 2016,
My only theory now is I could've cut the string too short when I was stringing my instrument. Otherwise I'm clueless
I am using both a snark headstock tuner and an electronic one you plug into, I can't imagine there could be anything wrong. I'm hitting every note with the same velocity and they are both registering the same.
Last edited by neurocide86 at Sep 3, 2016,
UPDATE: When I was stringing my guitar the other day, I made the mistake of cutting some of my strings too short to the point where they barely wrap around the string post even once. I know that intonation relies on string length, so could it be possible that the reason I am having problems with my notes being too sharp no matter how I adjust it be because of the fact that I cut my strings too short? I could really use a second opinion on this.
Wait...you cut the strings before installing them?
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.
I slotted them through the tuning peg first and cut it to length but I cut it a little bit shorter than I should have. I'm sure I made that clear, I mean who the f*ck cuts their strings before they actually put them on their instrument, unless they're cutting a ball end off a string to put it on a floyd rose? That's ridiculous.
Last edited by neurocide86 at Sep 4, 2016,
Good news to anyone who finds this thread via google: If you are having the same problems as I had, especially if you're moving to a heavier string gauge, is to loosen your truss rod and lower your strings so it's to the point where you can still bend notes without anything fretting out. Also, don't have a cheap guitar! lol
Last edited by neurocide86 at Sep 4, 2016,