I am planning to buy a new electric guitar. Have come across 4 choices within my budget,

1st - Epi LP Special 2
2nd - Epi SG 400
3rd - LTD MX 2
4th - Fender strat Bullet squier

Which one should I go for? Are Ibanez guitars good?
The sales guy I spoke with said I should go with set bridge like Tunomatic as I am a Late beginner. He said tremolo guitars have lots of maintenance issues. Is he correct?

Also should I buy an amp or is there an alternative to it?

Plz help.
jaybanner777 What type of music do you play?

P. S. Of course you need an amp. Fender Champion 20 and Fender Mustang I are good amps under $100
Overdrive me daddy

Guitars:
Epiphone G400 Custom
Yamaha F335
Amp:
Marshall DSL401
Quote by lenivy
jaybanner777 What type of music do you play?

P. S. Of course you need an amp. Fender Champion 20 and Fender Mustang I are good amps under $100

I agree, I have the Mustang I V2 and my cousin the Champion 20, both are awesome for beginners.
If you don't have the money, you could use an amp simulator and just buy an amp later though.
Ibanez makes some pretts good beginner guitars.
Besides the important question that lenivy asked:
Do you have any inspirations as a guitarist?
Do you have the possibility to test the guitars?
If you do, just do it.
But keep in mind that the feeling is more important than the tone as a beginner though, because a guitar that doesn't make you feel comfortable while you are playing, will very likely have an impact on your motivation.
Last edited by juvion at Sep 3, 2016,
Ibanez are fairly good! I like LTDs better though for 6 string out of what you've mentioned, but I personally really like Jackson guitars. They have a lot of metal-style guitars but they sound pretty good. I myself own a budget Jackson and I love it.
Tremolos can sometimes be high maintenance, but I got one as a beginner (A floyd rose) and I learned to take care of it and use it. It's been 6 months since I got the guitar and I've gotten used to quick setups and retuning with it.
Who needs shred when you've got rhythm guitar? :^)
Guitars:
Jackson King V (With a Wilde L500XL in the bridge)
Ibanez Iron Label RGIX27FEQM (7-string)
By the Epiphone SG 400 do you mean the G-400? If you can afford that, cross the Bullet and the Les Paul Special 2 right off your list, the G-400 is leagues better.

Regarding Ibanez and LTD, both have great models and less impressive models, pretty much depending on what you spend, but I'm not really aware of the MX2, so I couldn't give an opinion on that.

Look at used guitars and you can get a lot more for a limited budget. Also yeah, tell us what music you're into so we can give better recommendations.

As far as tremolos go, not all of them are equal. A vintage-style (six-screw) Strat tremolo can easily just be decked and you wouldn't know it was there when you're not using it but you can still grab the bar and do some fun wiggly stuff with it, but something like a Floyd Rose can indeed be daunting to set up and unreliable on cheap models, and keeping something like a Jaguar tremolo set up is a full time job.

There are multi-FX units that will work in place of an amp if you want silent practice, such as the Line 6 Pod.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Sep 4, 2016,
I have to agree with K33nbl4d3. Of your list, the G400 is in it's own class. I would also try various guitars out to see how they fit for your. The SG body holds differently than strats and LP...at least it was a much starker difference to me.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
Quote by jaybanner777
I am planning to buy a new electric guitar. Have come across 4 choices within my budget,

1st - Epi LP Special 2
2nd - Epi SG 400
3rd - LTD MX 2
4th - Fender strat Bullet squier

Which one should I go for? Are Ibanez guitars good?
The sales guy I spoke with said I should go with set bridge like Tunomatic as I am a Late beginner. He said tremolo guitars have lots of maintenance issues. Is he correct?

Also should I buy an amp or is there an alternative to it?

Plz help.

To give you a real recommendation we would need to know answers to a few of these questions:

1) What type of music do you want to play?
2) Any guitar players you admire particularly?
3) How important are the 'looks' to keep you motivated and playing?
4) What amp are you going to be using?
5) If you've been playing for a little while already, do any of these guitars feel particularly comfortable to you?

Some of your other questions I can answer:

Fixed bridge guitars are more simple yes, easier to re-string and intonate but I wouldn't say that other bridges have 'maintenance issues'. I don't know of any Floyd Rose that has maintenance issues, just user error. So if you want to avoid user error as much as possible, fixed bridge is the way to go.

Ibanez guitars are fantastic instruments and for the dollar they are very hard to beat, but it really depends on what you want to play as Ibanez definitely has its own character that is roughly uniform throughout the line-up, just like fender strats and Gibson LPs.

LTD's are also really quite well made, I have played many that I thought were of very good quality for the price. Again, it's a lot of 'try before you buy' though as not all are made equal, you do need to hunt for the good ones that just 'got it right' and that's a rule of thumb for any guitar purchase.

Epiphone is not a brand I am a fan of, I find over time they have become much worse. This just isn't the Epiphone of the 90s and earlier sadly anymore, they've really let things slip in my opinion and please keep in mind that this is my opinion, but to me, price to quality, Epiphone isn't what it used to be and I believe that is primarily due to Gibson wanting to continue to drive consumers to the higher priced Les Paul's. The margin's on these guitars are also significantly better than those on Fender/Ibanez/LTD and so retailers (especially bigger box retailers) are inclined to push them (and stock more of them as you will notice).

Fender Bullet Strat (Squier), these are great inexpensive guitars, again hunt for one that plays really well and make sure you like the strat feel, but if you do, it's a versatile and great guitar.

Hope this helps, cheers.
-Signature Stratocaster 'Super Galaxy'
-2015 Ibanez RG655 Prestige
-1990 Jackson Fusion Pro (MIJ), Customized w/ JB, Vintage Rails & Little '59. Kill-switch mod replacing the mid-sweep.

Orange OR15
Orange PPC2x12
Effects: Vox Satchurator, Fullton Fatboost FB3, Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah, Boss Waza Craft DM-2w Delay, Boss Super Chorus CH-1, Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Jackson js22 are nice. Some need a setup off the shelf, but their stock pickups are decent. A proper setup and they play like butter. Also they are under 200 bucks. The js32 are better for a little more. And look nice with the transparent finishes.
Quote by Liaztraht
Jackson js22 are nice. Some need a setup off the shelf, but their stock pickups are decent. A proper setup and they play like butter. Also they are under 200 bucks. The js32 are better for a little more. And look nice with the transparent finishes.

You'll be better off buying a used Jackson, you can get a better model for close to the same price a a new entry level if you can come up with $350 $400 you can find used made in Japan Jackson's usually in very good shape which are miles ahead of any JS.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by Evilnine
You'll be better off buying a used Jackson, you can get a better model for close to the same price a a new entry level if you can come up with $350 $400 you can find used made in Japan Jackson's usually in very good shape which are miles ahead of any JS.

Used is a good choice too. But if he wants new, Jackson has some of the best budget friendly guitars imo. Just stay away from the ones with a tremolo at the lower end. The hardtails are where it's at.
Don't get me wrong I am a fan of Jackson have been for about 25 years I own 5 of them plus an 89 Charvel Fusion Custom.

At the prices of a used MIJ or even a newer Pro it's going to be a better value the wood hardware electronics etc. Will all be better.

If he wants new then it's his choice I suppose.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge