So..
This is the video -

Time stamp would be 0:40, where the chorus kicks in..
There, the guitar switches to a strumming pattern where 3 strokes are muted while 1 is strummed.. Giving it an advanced feel. It's not really fast, just the mutes are bothering me.

How do I achieve the same muting effect with open chords? Or the only way to do that is by barring everything? Is it left hand muting? Or right hand muting? Whichever one it is.. what's the technique called in proper terminology? Apart from it, any tips on replicating it on an electric guitar would be appreciated as that's the only type of guitar I own and can afford for now. Buying an acoustic is out of question, but if that's the only kind of guitar on which one can do such strumming, it'd be on my holiday list...

Thanks in advance!
Shiv
I know she's imitating playing guitar.
I am talking about the real studio recording version. About the one who actually played and got it recorded. The guitarist.
How did he do that?
well I think she's actually playing, it's just obviously a studio recording dubbed onto a video of the performer, like every other music video.

What I mean is that there is no technique involved in what's happening here (unless I am looking at the wrong thing 0:40 in the video). In the recording, she's just not playing for a couple of beats.

In the video it looks like she strums those beats while sliding the left hand across all the strings, which is a common technique for a percussive effect. It's done exactly how it looks: mute the strings by relaxing your left fingers across them and then strum with the right hand.
Like the above said its a pretty common technique i'm assuming you mean the clicky sound. Many beginners learn it on electric guitar playing songs like nirvana's 'smells like teen spirit'.

Just relax your hand and stop pressing down the chord (or note), if it contains open strings bring a finger to rest over them.
On an electric you will hear the sound quite clearly acoustically or amped. If you want it to be louder you can use a compressor which is what a lot of funk players use, the technique is a big part of that genre.
Last edited by chrisazgo1 at Sep 10, 2016,
Quote by chrisazgo1
Like the above said its a pretty common technique i'm assuming you mean the clicky sound. Many beginners learn it on electric guitar playing songs like nirvana's 'smells like teen spirit'.

Just relax your hand and stop pressing down the chord (or note), if it contains open strings bring a finger to rest over them.
On an electric you will hear the sound quite clearly acoustically or amped. If you want it to be louder you can use a compressor which is what a lot of funk players use, the technique is a big part of that genre.

This is pretty much the best you can explain it in text, its much easier if you see it though so look for 'strumming techniques' in youtube or find a guitar teacher in your area, he/she will be able to show you and it will make a lot more sense then.
I have an electric... Just what I was looking for.. that clicky sound.
Same thing is in Smells like teen spirit. Guess i'll learn it off of youtube.

Not a lot of good guitar teachers out here. They follow the curriculum and I can't wait 6 months learning something I want to.
Thanks a ton!