I've been getting into the digital amp game lately. I'm currently in love with BIAS FX. It's awesome for recording, but now I am looking into using it for everything.

I've tried plugging my iPad into our PA for band rehearsals lately, but it was extremely difficult to get a loud enough sound without clipping the signal from the iPad. I was thinking of using it with a real cab similarly to how bands like Periphery use the Axe-Fx with a real cab. You can turn off the cab simulation in BIAS FX, so I'm assuming it was intended for cab capability.

I plugged the iPad into my Orange 2x12 closed-back yesterday. It sounded really good, but it was still very quiet, even with the iPad volume maxed out. What can I use between the iPad and the cab to increase the iPad's signal, or what is a better solution? I'm using an iRig HD into an iPad mini 2 with a headphone-1/4" cable. I've also plugged it into my Vox AC-15 combo and turned off amp simulation completely and was able to get a loud enough sound. Obviously, having a preamp there increased the sound, but I don't want to just use the Vox preamp all the time. I want to be able to use all the amp simulators while using just my favorite Orange cab, though. I always use the Orange 4x12 sim in BIAS FX, anyways.

tl;dr What can I use to increase my iPad's output to use with a cab?
Last edited by GeekInThePink at Sep 4, 2016,
What you need is a power amp between the iPad and the speakers. That's why the Vox works, but the problem there is you have an additional preamp from the Vox adding coloration. Ideally you'd want a full range, flat response power amp to plug your iPad into, and then plug that into a guitar cab.

If you need more volume though, it's possible all you need is a powered monitor to plug into. I have a small one that's fairly inexpensive, I can use it at band practice and I have no issues. Getting it up closer to ear level and aiming it up helps so I don't have to turn it up as loud.

Not being able to get enough volume out of the PA you have tells me it's either not very powerful or there may be something wrong.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
dementiacaptain Thank you for the response. I'm looking into both options, but I lean more towards the power amp because I would like all my different amp sims through my Orange cab that I'd just simulate in any case. Any suggestions on what kind of power amp to use? Also, with the powered monitor, do you still use a cab simulator? And yeah, the PA is pretty old and shitty. That's definitely the issue.
Last edited by GeekInThePink at Sep 4, 2016,
The powered monitor would need cab simulation, yeah. But as far as what power amp, that's a bit personal preference. First question would probably be tube or solid state, and from there it sort of is all preference.

I used an old solid state Crown power amp once upon a time, I just found the cheapest one on Craigslist that had the volume I needed. Never had a problem.

I personally don't see a huge point in using a tube power amp with modeling preamps, some think that there is a significant difference. More "warmth" I suppose.
dementiacaptain Yeah, the solid state would probably be better. I'm relying more on BIAS and the cab for tone. I just need the amp for a signal boost into the cab. Thanks for your help!
No problem, post back with results if you can, I have recently started using BIAS FX and I am curious about how it sounds through a real cab.
dementiacaptain Can you link me to some good full range, flat response power amps? I'm searching but mostly finding monitors.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/QSC-RMX850-Power-Amplifier-Gently-Used-/302057243441?nav=SEARCH

Something like this is one example. I'm definitely not a pro audio guy, so I'm not sure what is considered a good power amp or what one would look for, but just using it for guitar I doubt you will ever get close to pushing it to its limits.

The one thing to make sure of is that it has some 1/4" outputs so you can use it with a regular guitar cab.
Hi guys, I'm using Bias Fx (Bias fx + Ipad Air 2 + Focusrite Itrack) for live gigs as well as at home. I think it has amazing capabilities and became easily my main rig but i still have some doubts and i'd love other users opinions. My doubt is related to the possibility to turn on and off the cab sims / Power amp / Tone Stack / Pre Amp. I use to output the Itrack to my Amp's return with the cab sims off. What is not clear is whether or not is should also disable the poweramp and the tonestack sections. In a theory, since i'm using a real amp's final section, i'd assume that also the Poweramp section in bias should be disabled but i find many people using the same rig who only disable the cab sim.... and i'm not clear with what it's better for my hears! 

Btw :_ how about the tone stack sections? looking forward to your experiences!
Glad this thread is coming back to life. I have been using my iPad live for some time now. The first thing I tried was plugging the iPad into a 3000W solid state amp and plugging that into my Orange 2x12 cab. I bypassed the cab simulation on Bias FX. I found that even with the iPad output and amp volume at max, I could not hear myself much over my drummer at band practice. I gave up and started using my 100W Marshall and bypassing the amp simulation completely, just using the effects in addition to my Line6 DL4. For church, I do the same thing with my Vox AC15, but that gets mic'd. I should probably ask someone at my church if they have a DI I can just use with the iPad and DL4 (which is very important for my ambient sounds).

Anyone else here on UG been using similar setups and have tips?
Thank you for your feedback. I have a bugera 333 - 212 in the room and I can get actually very loud when i run into my amp's return!
What about bias fx global settings for such rig? What is global conpensation intended for? And would you guys disable the cab only or also power amp and / or Tone stack sections?
marcosarracino85 it depends on what channel you are using on your Bugera.  If its the dirt channel, id use BIAS for effects through the effects loop because it sounds like trash on top of the amps distortion.  I use mine on the clean channel minus the cab simulation if i use a cab.  if you use DI, use the cab sim.
RustedWithin Thank you. I actually use bias fx through the effects loop (into the return, i dont go into the front of the amp) with both the cab and the power amp sections disabled. Im not sure how to use bias' Tone stack and power amp sections, though (e.g.:*Is the power amp sections meant to be on or off?). Any suggestions?
Is anyone using an analog noise suppressor / reduction / killer pedal infront of the Ipad with amp sims app? 

Ii'm a fellow user of Bias Fx on Ipad and i'm trying to figure out if an analog pedal could do the job better then it's digital counterpart. I don't have a noise reduction pedal in hand that i can try so i'm hoping someone can help me with this matter... i'm also curious about adding an analog distortion stompbox but again not having it available i'd trust others experiences before wasiting some money in analog pedals. 
Quote by GeekInThePink
Glad this thread is coming back to life. I have been using my iPad live for some time now. The first thing I tried was plugging the iPad into a 3000W solid state amp and plugging that into my Orange 2x12 cab. I bypassed the cab simulation on Bias FX. I found that even with the iPad output and amp volume at max, I could not hear myself much over my drummer at band practice. I gave up and started using my 100W Marshall and bypassing the amp simulation completely, just using the effects in addition to my Line6 DL4. For church, I do the same thing with my Vox AC15, but that gets mic'd. I should probably ask someone at my church if they have a DI I can just use with the iPad and DL4 (which is very important for my ambient sounds).

Anyone else here on UG been using similar setups and have tips?
I use ipad for both practice and live rig for church setup. But my setup is quite odd. I have left and right channel, left has amp with fiddlicator cab sim has another set of delay and reverb. My right channel has another amp with no cab set with another delay and reverb. Both drives and boost are mono. Delays and delay levels are controlled via midi controller knobs. I use return in my marshall combo amp and put it all the way up. I usually plug another cable in the marshall's input. For some reason the power amp from the amp dont work if no cable is plugged. So i just plug one there and the volume goes all the way up. Plus i got a monitor with my left line out to PA which i can have some idea of my sound from the mix. Im beside a drummer and my loudness is fantastic. Also a church guitarist here.