New USED Snare Drum Day, well actually got it some time ago.. It is something i got on a whim.. It was advertised as 14"x4", after I measured it and found out the dimensions were incorrect, I immediately nformed seller of error, he gave me refund.. i got Ahead Armor Case for Snare, after i cleaned off the grime and rust, the Pearl Piccolo snare looks nice. The Remo Weatherking Coated Ambassador still has life in it, but as per instructions on Kickport FX, I needed to use new snare batter head.. I was debating whether I try Evans G2 or Remo Coated Ambassador batter head but since my local store only carried Remo, that made selection easier.. ambassador/emperor/pinstripe were my choices. Ended up with Coated Emperor batter head, had to cut hole into the new head but results are better than expected.
Kickport FX for Snare did make the attack more pronounced and slightly louder.

Pictures:

13" radius

3" height

Ahead Armor Case for Snare

Kickport FX for Snare

Remo Coated Emperor with Kickport FX for Snare

I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Last edited by psp742 at Sep 5, 2016,
Interesting, I've never heard of those kickports on a snare. What exactly does it do to the sound? Does the snare not already have a vent hole on it??
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
It makes the snare louder, in the reviews: the Kickport Fx makes the sound louder, each stick hit even faint can be heard, there is more projection and snare sound is more pronounced. The Kickport FX EQ's the snare when mic'd, and don't need the jell on the batter head.. we don't use mic as the drum is already loud as it is in the worship venue.

When I place my hand over the Kickport hole (as my friend plays), I feel the air coming out with each hit. My friend who plays drum actually benefit because he is the one who plays the snare.. I may need to learn how to play acoustic unplugged.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Last edited by psp742 at Sep 7, 2016,
Quote by psp742
It makes the snare louder, in the reviews: the Kickport Fx makes the sound louder, each stick hit even faint can be heard, there is more projection and snare sound is more pronounced. The Kickport FX EQ's the snare when mic'd, and don't need the jell on the batter head.. we don't use mic as the drum is already loud as it is in the worship venue.

When I place my hand over the Kickport hole (as my friend plays), I feel the air coming out with each hit. My friend who plays drum actually benefit because he is the one who plays the snare.. I may need to learn how to play acoustic unplugged.

Interesting. I'm not sure why I'd possibly want any of my snares to be louder than they already are... but not having a need for moongel intrigues me.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Kickport actually has the kickport for toms, floor toms, snare, bass drum.. anything with batter head. I dont own a drum kit, just one snare, cajon with bunch of accessories.. recently bought hi-hat stand and Zildjian New Beats hi-hat cymbals.
Here is link to Kickport site - http://kickport.com/.. of course i search where i can buy it cheaper.. Amazon... LoL

Sorry, my intention is not to plug the product, i just providing information that there are more size for drum aside from the snare. Thank you and have a great week.. You don't need it. i just like to try stuff and so far it works well for me.
Oh, for sure. I've used the Kickport on an actual bass drum, but didn't realize they had them for other sizes. Looks interesting, I might have to give it a shot if it actually dampens the head, as advertised. I'd just be scared it'd make the heads more brittle - as when you use one on a bass drum, you're placing it on the reso head, not the batter.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I only found out about Kickport, because the Meinl headliner cajon I bought came with Cajonport..

I posted about the unplugged kit and the percussion add-ons I bought, it's a respectable kit now.. The only thing i noticed is how heavy the Zildjian New Beats hi-hat cymbals are, the spring on the Gibraltar lightning rod telescoping hi-hat stand could hardly lift the top hi-hat up but with some ingenuity (I added two thick rubber band to compensate for weight).. ok now.
Last edited by psp742 at Sep 10, 2016,
Quote by psp742
I only found out about Kickport, because the Meinl headliner cajon I bought came with Cajonport..

I posted about the unplugged kit and the percussion add-ons I bought, it's a respectable kit now.. The only thing i noticed is how heavy the Zildjian New Beats hi-hat cymbals are, the spring on the Gibraltar lightning rod telescoping hi-hat stand could hardly lift the top hi-hat up but with some ingenuity (I added two thick rubber band to compensate for weight).. ok now.

Looks like a cool little kit, sure takes up a heck of a lot less space than my kit! haha.

Yeah, New Beats can be pretty heavy depending on when they were manufactured. The 50s/60s ones are super light and the post-2014 versions of them try to emulate the older sound. During the late-70s to 2010, they seemed to have gotten heavier and heavier. I have a pair of New Beats from the 60s and they sound completely different from the 80's NBs I once had. Each cymbal was 1/2 - 3/4 of a lb lighter than the more modern version.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I have the 80's New Beats hi-hat and they are probably the heaviest of the New Beats lineage.. I had to be creative with my hi-hat stand to prevent it from sagging down.