So I've bought quite a few things that I've never posted about, and I'm going to all put them in this thread a bit at a time.

First thing, the newest addition:

A Caroline Guitar Company Olympia Fuzz! A delightfully simple pedal, this is the Shingeharu version with Japanese script and red knobs.

This was cooked up in South Carolina, my dear southern neighbors, so I like the somewhat local factor in addition to the quality craftsmanship. Solid switches and jacks, sturdy feeling knobs. But enough about that, the SOUND!

As noted, there isn't a lot to this guy, just volume and fuzz controls. Even so, those two controls definitely change the character of the sound quite a bit, in addition to their designated functions. This is supposed to incorporate the best of both a Muff and a Tonebender, and it shows! With the fuzz down a bit it is very Muff-like, smooth and squishy, a tone you can sink your teeth into. Push the fuzz up and add a bit of volume and the sound comes more into focus, becoming almost distortion-like.

This is a more useable alternative to my Fuzz Factory, as sometimes instead of making horrendous alien noises and swirling around in a lo-fi filtered hell, I just want to jam some tasty doom riffs, or fiddle around pretending I'm Clapton back in the Cream days.

More to come!
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Last edited by dementiacaptain at Sep 4, 2016,
"Small batch distortery" love it!
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by BCKRedBaron
"Small batch distortery" love it!

Charming isn't it?

Thanks Dave!

I should have more up later today, bigger toys
Next up, the Jetsons guitar!

An Albert Lee HH!

For those who aren't familiar with Albert Lee, he's worth the listen. Even if you aren't into him, his guitars are just a joy to play. This particular model comes with a solid rosewood neck, african mahogany body, and originally it had custom wound Dimarzios, but the previous owner replaced them with some Lukather Transitions. The 5-way selector common on many EBMMs has also been replaced with a 3-way.

I have found a new obsession with EBMM guitars. They are the best consistent quality out of anything I have played, the sounds are phenomenal, the necks, while all different, are awesome across the board, and I think they are pretty snazzy lookin'. This one is no different, with the Transition pickups and the tone control, I can get a huge variety of sounds, from twangy country to 80s lead bliss. For anyone who hasn't played a rosewood neck, they feel awesome. Though the body is a bit *ahem* quirky, it is pure comfort sitting down or standing up. The trem came set with 4 springs (!) on the trem, I quickly took it down to two and set the action just a bit higher. With the locking tuners their isn't much I can't do with this that I can't with my Floyd-equipped Silhouette, short of pull-ups.

Overall a fantastic guitar, one that won't be going anywhere anytime soon
Next:

Something a bit less out there, a Carbon Copy! There's not a lot to say, this is simply a great sounding analog delay. I use it for spacey clean bits and lead wankery. A very warm, full sound, this pedal just works. The mod feature is okay, I haven't messed with the internal trim pot at all as I already have a Corona Chorus that takes care of that side of things.

As I've mentioned in places on the forum, I've been fiddling with BIAS (FX and Amp) on my iPad, and I've been getting some excellent sounds. Here's the rig:

My iPad Mini 2 through an EV ZXA1, using an iRig HD for connecting the guitar. While this doesn't quite compare to the Kemper I once had, for a quick, easy setup I have never been so satisfied. I would have no problem using this for a gig.

The interface is, of course, easy as pie. The POD HDs and Kempers of the world are great and fairly easy to use, but having everything up on a screen where I can reach out and quickly edit whatever I want without scrolling through a menu is invaluable. It's honestly easier to work with this than my amp and pedalboard.

But of course, the SOUND! "Tell us about the tones, ya dingus!"

The sounds are pretty great. My drummer (who also plays bass and has lived with guitarists his whole life) said that he couldn't here an appreciable difference in quality between this rig and my amp and pedalboard. Of course I can, but the fact that someone like him can't speaks for the quality of the software.

As is often the case, there's a tendency for distorted tones to be a bit fizzy. I run an EQ in BIAS Amp at the end of the chain with the top of the spectrum attenuated, and this helps a lot. It is also important to note that this software, along with most others, is going for a miced-amp sound and won't quite sound the same as playing through an amp right beside you. If you are used to playing live and hearing yourself through monitors, this shouldn't bother you. If you don't like this, stick with the real deal.

The effects are quite nice, though as with the amps you often can't adjust them the same as you would in the real world and expect the same results. I'm particularly pleased with the delays and modulation effects, very adjustable and more natural-sounding than I expected.

Ultimately, if you already have a suitable iPad or similar, this is the cheapest way to get quality modeling tones, and I would highly recommend it.

Enough with the digital bullshit though, right? Where's the tubes?

Glad you asked. They just happen to be in this thing:

A Mesa/Boogie Mark IV, revision A (it has an EVM12L)

It's a Mark IV, it's fucking sick, dude. The lead channel is, of course, perfectly saturated for metal madness or shred-tastic solos. Right now I have it dialed in to cop Petrucci tones, and it does in spades. I've also used it for more straightforward metalcore tones, raucous punk sounds, good old-fashioned rock tones, and everything in between. The graphic EQ is a fantastic feature that I think ought to be on any high gain amp, and all the various tone-shaping features are useful, there aren't any adjustments that don't offer some noticeable change in the sound, including the power scaling and the Simul-Class.

R2 is a bit finnicky, but with some time and effort it can make an excellent metal rhythm tone. Chunky but still tight. Not as many tonal options as the Lead channel, but still lots to hear. The one thing that most have noticed (and I have is well) is that you have to compromise a bit between this and the R1, the "clean" channel.

R1, while capable of some great sounds, is the weak link on my amp. I set up the shared Middle and Bass controls between R1 and R2 to favor the latter, and therefore R1 suffers. On the Tweed setting in Class A, I can get some really awesome blues sounds out of R1, but these settings aren't great for my hard rock and metal pursuits on the other channels. I typically get the clean to a baseline level and spruce it up with a Fulltone Fulldrive 2, which lets me add some flavor to the channel without adding too much dirt.

Well that's it! All the new toys I've collected this year so far. Thanks for looking!
wow awesome

and yeah musicmans are awesome
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Woot!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
You ever hear anything about the fuzz box Danny? I know you are up on these sort of things, if you haven't definitely check it out
The Olympia? I know CGC's Kilobyte & Météore are killer (and on my G.A.S. list), and while I haven't gotten a good listen, I've seen nothing but praise for their Olympia and Wave Cannon. Good builder, IMHO.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

good deal. I just got done fiddling around with it a bit more, it really is wild all the different sounds you can get with just the two knobs.

I think I'm going to move on from amps into the pedal game now they come in more colors and have neat paint jobs.
Quote by dementiacaptain

I think I'm going to move on from amps into the pedal game now they come in more colors and have neat paint jobs.

Errrrr...I mean...yeah, that's kinda what I've been thinking.

(Still gotta buy me a new amp this year, though.)

Yes YOU DO! Its getting embarrassing dude, you're a regular and you don't prescribe to the forum doctrine:

"What you need is a new amp."
I say that to other people! "Do as I say, not as I do!"

hot damn!

Nice haul
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Ippon
Congrats!

Does it have the EVM-12L Classic 200W or 300W or the older EVM-12L 200W?

I'm not entirely sure honestly. I know it's another case where the speaker is badged as Mesa but made by EV. I'd think given that it was made in the early 90s it would be the older model or at least similar. Not sure if Mesa had this one tweaked like their other speakers.
Nice scores! wow!

Quote by dannyalcatraz
"Do as I say, not as I do!"

Dad? is that you?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.