Hey all,

Well, I suppose the next episode of GAS is already on the horizon! (It's been a brutal enough year already).

Long story short, I seem to have an on-and-off love affair w/7 strings. I've owned a few different Agiles over the years, and sold my Septor 727 several months back to help fund a couple of Flying V's. While I don't miss the Septor, I am starting to miss having a 7 string already. But this time, I'm ready to move on from Agiles.

I was eyeballing a PRS SE Custom 24-7 as a possible option to check out when I have some funds to justify a guitar purchase again. Would the build quality be a bit better than a comparable Agile? (Not that the Agiles I owned were necessarily "bad" - but they did have some flaws). And how would a 25'' scale be for a 7 string? I didn't particularly like the 27'' scale on my last Agile (Too much tension on the high strings for my liking), but am wondering if 25'' is going too short? Keep in mind, I wouldn't be doing any extreme downtuning - probably just playing in standard B/Drop A.

Thanks!

P.S: Other suggestions are welcome as well - But I am looking to stick with something equipped with passive pickups
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Last edited by FlightofIcarus at Sep 4, 2016,
Tension and scale length preference is more a subjective thing- 25" is probably fine, but you're going to have to deal with larger/thicker strings, so there's the tradeoff.

As far as build quality goes, when it comes to the brand name budget models- what I've read is pretty much all korean guitars are made the same way (or even same factory) so the difference is not in quality, but specs
A longer scale length is nice. That said, I have some Ernie Ball cobalt Slinkys on my 587 and IIRC, the low-B (I have tuned to A) is a 58 or 59. Tension is fine and it seems a lot of 7-string sets run with the lowest string between 56-59 on 10 gauge sets, but I have seen some lower if you dig around. GHS might have a 10-gauge set with a thicker end.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
I'm totally ok with using an extra thick B string if need be. The 27'' scale on my last Agile just never felt quite right in my hands (And it felt awkward going back and forth between it, and my 6 strings, but not because of the extra string - because of the big difference in scale length). One of my favorite 7-strings I've played is my friend's LTD SC-607 (The old, non baritone version). That guitar has a 25.5" scale, and always felt better in my hands than any other 7-strings I've played on. I'm hoping to end up with something that feels fairly similar, but with passive electronics.

Since I'm not a big Ibanez fan (Call me a heretic, but I've just never vibed with them for some reason), this leaves me w/very few options besides the PRS . Most of the other relatively affordable 7's out there seem to have longer scales, and/or active pickups. One exception I've found is the Sterling version of the Petrucci 7-string sig. But I'd be a bit worried about the quality of the trem at it's price point.
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

I *personally* think 25" is a bit short for a 7-string, and I prefer 27" on the bass side.

You might consider picking up one of the multi-scale (fan-fret) guitars. These are often 25" on the treble side and 27" on the bass side, which is near perfect, given that you'd rather have a lighter tension on the treble strings. They're not difficult to play at all (some folks shy away because they're unfamiliar). In fact, in some ways, they're easier to play, because your hand falls *more* naturally into line with the slightly splayed frets. And there are no tricky things connected to intonation, etc. These were formerly only available from custom builders,but Carvin has been offering them for a while. Agile has been making them even longer (Kurt is on sevenstring.org a lot, and realized that while people were interested in *trying* the fan-fret guitars, they were a bit nervous about spending a couple of grand or more for a guitar they weren't familiar with. When Rondo began offering them well under $1000, it became a no-brainer.

The bigger manufacturers (Ibanez, Schecter, etc.) are just now beginning to dip their toes into multi-scale, and the really big ones (Gibson, Fender, PRS) won't for several years at least.

BTW, most 7-string players with 27" scales don't consider them "baritone versions" at all.
Almost forgot about Carvin (shame on me!). I'd definitely be open to keeping my eyes out for something used.

Anything else I may want to consider that fits the criteria I'm after?

Thanks in advance!
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60