Just finished up my latest build last night - took about two months total to get the whole thing painted, cured, and assembled. I went with a seafoam green nitro finish (my original idea of fender blonde fell apart, so I let my wife pick out the color), the body is from Saylor guitars - I haven't seen many Thinline Jazzmasters around with the F hole. The pickguard is anodized gold and I used a set of Classic Player Jazzmaster pickups I had laying around. I don't do much with the tremolo, but after getting it all together I discovered that the routing may need to be compensated a bit more to accommodate the tremolo size. Finished it off with a Blacktop Jazzmaster neck and locking tuners.

How does it play? After a setup today (and a neck shim), it plays really well. It's quite light given the hearty chambering and thin nitro finish. It's a Jazzmaster, so all the normal quirks apply! If I had to do it over, I'd probably have gone with a poly finish, as the nitro was a bit finicky to layer and sand back. It's a very thin finish, so I expect it to wear pretty easily over the years.

OffsetOffset
Last edited by SteveHOC at Sep 4, 2016,
Beautiful, the seafoam green + gold is a great choice.
My God, it's full of stars!
Thanks! That's to the wife's credit - I was thinking of doing red tort (as I've got one around somewhere), but I figured I'd go as loud as I could within reason.
OffsetOffset
Excellent!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
The original quirky guitar! Sweet looking axe, how's it sound?
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
That's amazing work.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
dementiacaptain
It sounds much more aggressive than a typical vintage-style Jazzmaster with the CP Jazzmaster pickups. It's a bit deceptive given the look, but it's got some big mean sounds in it.

bjgrifter
Thanks! A few setbacks, but nothing major in the grand scheme.
OffsetOffset
Quote by SteveHOC
dementiacaptain
It sounds much more aggressive than a typical vintage-style Jazzmaster with the CP Jazzmaster pickups. It's a bit deceptive given the look, but it's got some big mean sounds in it

I can dig it! I love a wolf in sheep's clothing. Congrats on a job well done, you've reminded me that I really want a Jazzmaster!
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
I can dig it! I love a wolf in sheep's clothing. Congrats on a job well done, you've reminded me that I really want a Jazzmaster!

Thanks! Can't go wrong with a Jazzmaster!
OffsetOffset
Beautiful congrats

Seafoam rocks
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Thanks, guys! I'm finding that the nitro tends to pick up grime pretty quickly, so I'm thinking of doing a polish over top - anyone have experience with Meguires Mirror Gloss over nitro? Also bit the bullet and ordered a Staytrem bridge, which I should have done to begin with.
OffsetOffset
Looking close at the picctures it appears that the finish is not mirror smooth, I do not have any experience with nitro but maybe someone who does can answer whether or not it can be wetsanded and buffed to get that mirror finish.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by SteveHOC
Thanks, guys! I'm finding that the nitro tends to pick up grime pretty quickly, so I'm thinking of doing a polish over top - anyone have experience with Meguires Mirror Gloss over nitro? Also bit the bullet and ordered a Staytrem bridge, which I should have done to begin with.

I'd suggest a good carnauba wax, and that includes good old Johnson Paste Wax in the one-pound tin. Remember, nitrocellulose lacquer was originally car paint until the automotive industry switched over in the '50's. The only reason it's still used on guitars at all is that some guitarists attribute unicorn fart and fairly dust properties to it.
Quote by Evilnine
Looking close at the picctures it appears that the finish is not mirror smooth, I do not have any experience with nitro but maybe someone who does can answer whether or not it can be wetsanded and buffed to get that mirror finish.

Gibson builds up to 30 coats of lacquer on their guitars. Nitrocellulose was the original plastic, and used to produce pool balls, radio knobs, etc., and guitar products such as tuner buttons, inlays, switch knobs, pickguards. That makes it a bit confusing when people claim it's a thin finish and deride guitars that have polyester/polyurethane "plastic" finishes on their guitars as being "coated in plastic." On modern guitars, UV-catalyzed polyester, for example, can be made a LOT thinner than nitrocellulose and it will still produce a smooth glossy finish without transmitting the wood grain to the top of the paint surface, as does nitro.

If the nitro layers are thick enough, it can be polished to a high gloss. If the body of the guitar wasn't grain-filled prior to painting, that may be difficult, since nitro isn't a self-leveling paint, and can transmit wood surface grain and defects through multiple layers to the surface of the paint even years after the painting was done.
Thanks for the ideas, guys. It's grain filled (as much as alder can be), and was wet sanded using Naphtha and micro mesh. The nitro was more of an experiment than anything else, as I have finished a few guitars in poly and had positive results. That said, I'll look for a good car polish and see what happens.
OffsetOffset
excellent
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
That is gorgeous! Definitely don't see anything like that floating around very often!

Will you be posti any demos?
Try adding more delay.
telecastrmastr

I can certainly try, won't be for a few days though. Thanks!
OffsetOffset