I have a Jackson RRTMG and a BC Rich Matt Tuck Sig V. Both guitars have the same pickups and are string thru body design. The BC Rich has a mahogany body and the Jackson has an alder body. Is the material of the body that huge of a difference maker? The BC Rich just seems to output a much louder sound then the Jackson. I replaced the battery on the Jackson because I thought the battery might be causing the disparity in sound output. Do you guys think there is something wrong with the electronics on my Jackson or is it just the body material making the huge difference?
wood not going to affect loudness of guitar. electronics, pickup height or perhaps Jackson has a bad jack far more likely places to look
The difference wood makes is insignificant.

the loss of output is most likely a wiring issue.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
monwobobboDo you have any suggestions on pin pointing the cause of the issue? Or will I be best off taking the guitar to a tech?
mdelpaz3First places to look are the battery (some are dead even when they're new), the switch and the output jack. Then set the guitar's pickup heights to be the same as your other guitar.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
mdelpaz3First places to look are the battery (some are dead even when they're new), the switch and the output jack. Then set the guitar's pickup heights to be the same as your other guitar.

sound advice.
There is a difference in alder and mohogany but you might try reading the resistance of the output by using an ohmmeter across the tip and sleeve of the cable, the end that goes into the amp(other end plugged into the guitar). That might give you some scientific data. Hmm idk if that will work with active pickups, but the idea was that there could be a difference in the pots and electronics.
Last edited by geo-rage at Sep 5, 2016,
Why does one guitar sound better then another? It is called magic or mojo. Who knows why. You can play 5 of the exact make and model and all 5 will sound or play different. Honestly there is no method to the madness. On paper Guitar X should sing like and angel and guitar Z should sound like a wet fart but, stats are not always reality.This is one of the reasons when I see people post ...I heard,read like the looks of guitar I see someone setting them selves up for disappointment.Just because you are enamored by the nice shiny finish and specs does not mean a guitar will play well or sound good in hand.
Your ears and hands are the ultimate judge.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by Bhaok
Why does one guitar sound better then another? It is called magic or mojo. Who knows why. You can play 5 of the exact make and model and all 5 will sound or play different. Honestly there is no method to the madness. On paper Guitar X should sing like and angel and guitar Z should sound like a wet fart but, stats are not always reality.This is one of the reasons when I see people post ...I heard,read like the looks of guitar I see someone setting them selves up for disappointment.Just because you are enamored by the nice shiny finish and specs does not mean a guitar will play well or sound good in hand.
Your ears and hands are the ultimate judge.

absolutely. I've played countless strats over the years and some just have "it" and some don't. this is the biggest reason I just can't buy online, I need to play a guitar first. guitars tend to be individualistic just like players. it's just a matter of matching the right guitar to the right player.
Hmm I think realistically speaking setup and wiring would account for why similar guitars sound different. There's a somewhat large but still finite amount of factors involved.
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
For some reason whenever i go shopping for LP's the one i like the look of best is always the one that sounds the worst and is the least comfortable for me.Just my luck.It's weird how along with sound even necks can vary on the same model with Gibson especially.
I love trying used Strats in my local used guitar shop.You sometimes find a really nice one that just wants you to buy it.Be it Mexican,US or Jap.
Could also be the strings to a degree. Are the same strings on both guitars? For me something like dunlop heavy core 10s sound way different than daddario 10s, and both sound different from Ernie ball slinky. And even regular slinky 10s sound different from their spendier slinky strings made with different steel and nickel contents, even in the same gauge.

I found with DR strings the same guitar sounded muffled and weak, and would swing sharp when plucked with any force.

So check your strings first. Whether or not they are the issue, can't go wrong with fresh strings.
There is also scale length involved. Longer scales are generally brighter than shorter scales, which can be perceived as thin and weak sounding to different ears.

Or just the pickups are wack to some degree. One of my friends has emgs in a Schecter 7 string and they sound thin. Another friend has basically the same guitar but the six string version and his sound fatter and muddy through the same amp.
two different guitars sound different. hmmm.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Is one louder acoustically? Wood affects which frequencies are louder, and the more resonant guitar will also be louder. I basically have two strats, one is much louder than the other unplugged.