i just can't figure out which one it is :b
Last edited by adan.ostos1 at Sep 6, 2016,
The minor scale
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
C (natural) minor. The notes required are available in a few positions, I've no idea which one they would have used. (I'm guessing they might have been tuned down too...)
The chords (which you may find useful) are: |Cm - - - |Cm - - - |Ab - - - |Fm - G - |. (The last two could be power chords, but they sound right as minor and major.)

(That's the intro, didn't listen to the outro)
Last edited by jongtr at Sep 6, 2016,
Quote by adan.ostos1
jongtrthanks! they are in drop D, i assumed they'd be playing D minor. xp

The key is C minor regardless of the tuning. This means that the song is centered around C. Cm is our tonic/"home chord". The other notes/chords you use are most of the time in the C minor scale - C D Eb F G Ab Bb. You can find the key by finding the chord that sounds like home.

The melody starts with a C. Figure out the rest of it on your own. Learn to sing the melody. This way you can make sure that you have the sound memorized and you don't even need to listen to the track to figure it out. Know the sounds you are looking for before trying to find them on your fretboard.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
As above -

Just because the tuning is different doesn't mean that the key suddenly changes to something else. Playing an E minor shape when tuned down a whole step produces D minor, not E minor. You can colloquially refer to it as E minor after establishing the tuning, but within the overall context, it would still be D minor.

But that's not even relevant in this case, because drop D is just standard E with the low string dropped down 1 step. The shapes would still be C minor shapes, with the caveat that low-string notes in standard would be 2 frets up in drop D.

The key is about the sound, not the shapes. The main chord is Cm (center of gravity), and the Fm and G form a i-iv-V progression (the Ab is also a iv/IV-like chord in that it leads to the V).
NeoMvsEu i knew about that, but right now i'm just learning modes and weird scales, and a7x usually play in Dminor so i figured this song would be in d minor(i just assumed it, didn't even think of it being in another key) and because D minor didn't fit i started looking for weird modes and scales they sometimes use and as i started trying fitting different scales and stuff i just couldn't find which one it was... but it was pretty simple ; it was't the scale but the key. i'm sarting to learn the modes and how they work and stuff and they are so confusing to me right now, i'm sure they'll get easier when i get the bases settled.... so yeah, i was overcomplicating something simple. thanks for enlightening this lost soul :b
Last edited by adan.ostos1 at Sep 6, 2016,
Quote by adan.ostos1
NeoMvsEu i knew about that, but right now i'm just learning modes and weird scales, and a7x usually play in Dminor so i figured this song would be in d minor(i just assumed it, didn't even think of it being in another key) and because D minor didn't fit i started looking for weird modes and scales they sometimes use and as i started trying fitting different scales and stuff i just couldn't find which one it was... but it was pretty simple ; it was't the scale but the key. i'm sarting to learn the modes and how they work and stuff and they are so confusing to me right now, i'm sure they'll get easier when i get the bases settled.... so yeah, i was overcomplicating something simple. thanks for enlightening this lost soul :b

If you don't have a good grasp of major and minor keys, I would forget about modes for now. You want to learn to recognize major and minor scales by ear before you should even think about learning modes and other "weird scales". Having a good grasp of the basics will just make all the more advanced stuff much easier to understand and much less confusing. So focus on the basics for now.

I would suggest learning to recognize the key by ear (find the tonic and you have found the key). I would also suggest learning about chord functions. Both are much more important and useful knowledge than some weird scales.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by adan.ostos1
I don't know this band very well at all, but is it possible they could be tuned a whole step down from drop D? (CGCFAD). That would make C minor a more natural key to play in.
Or do they ever use capos? Standard tuning (EADGBE) with capo on 3 would make it like A minor - or capo on 1 would make it like B minor.
It certainly doesn't make a lot of sense to use drop D tuning to play in C minor. (I mean it's possible, but why?)
They avenged themselves sevenfold and now are having an existential crisis ;P
jongtrthey sometimes tune Drop C sharp, but nope they always tune Drop D, that's why i got confused... but well playing drop tunning you can get better power chord veocity and stuff; i guess that's why.