What is the best equipment to star with if I want to record on my electric acoustic with vocal and add maybe some solo's on top of it afterwards? I bought a Boss Micro BR (from Ebay) but am struggling with it and would like to know what people can recommend at a cheapish price as an alternative. I am a bit rubbish with technology so the simpler the better! Many thanks. John.
Well firstly, try to learn what you have. Read the manual for the Boss unit and try to make it work. Personally, I would prefer a computer with a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) and a standalone Audio Interface with mics but that is just me. I imagine the Boss unit can do the relatively simple tracks like what you want, you just have to know how to use it. With any recording setup, you would have to know how to use it.

Read the introduction to Recording sticky and you will get a better idea of what you might need if the Boss unit does not work out. I recommend a Mackie Onyx Blackjack as the interface. The DAW I recommend (at least for this) is Audacity, which is not a professional DAW by any means but you can get professional results out of it. For your goals it should be fine, and it is free. I know about mics much less than I should but I would suggest a solid condenser. There are recommendations over the forums but I asked in a thread myself which you can read up on here.
John, sounds to me like you'd be better off with hardware multitracker. I also have the Boss Micro Br and mainly use it as idea recording. It is not the easiest to get a grasp of initially and especially the mixing and mastering part of it could be very confusing. The tracking part is fairly simple if you can go for a full take, if you need an edit, you can pretty much forget it You can also export track by track via the Boss software and mix in your PC if needed.

I started off watching Youtube videos on it and there were quite a few good tutorials, so maybe start there and see how you can fare.

I'd be happy to help if you have questions as well - just PM me.

As far as other technology, maybe one of the Tascam or Zoom all in one multitrackers could make more sense to you.

I'd suggest these:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--TASDP008EX
http://www.zzounds.com/item--ZOMR8
I'm sure the Boss Micro BR is a very nice recorder. Like Will said above you need to read the manual and take it one step at a time. I see there are also tutorials and demos on YouTube that will help get you started. Go slow, stick with it and you'll get some excellent results.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.