What's the difference between using a guitar harmonizer pedal and a vocal harmonizer, for guitar and vocals? Are they interchangeable at all?

I have a Boss Harmonist PS-6 and I was thinking of maybe getting a microphone to try to sing harmonizing/octaved lines sometimes. Would it work at all or does it have a much harder time detecting the pitch from a human voice than from a guitar signal, or is it more that it would give a shitty tone or what? I figured it has to work since it works perfectly fine with my guitar after going through a nearly maxed out distortion pedal. Has anyone here ever done it?
I haven't used one, but I believe most vocal harmonizer rely on a guitar or piano input (or maybe another instrument) for chords to establish what the key is and how it should harmonize. Most guitar pedals work chromatically or need you to set the key manually.

I'd think the biggest problem with using the PS-6 for vocals would be the connection and sending the vocal signal to it so it still keeps the signal in tact.
Quote by I K0nijn I

I'd think the biggest problem with using the PS-6 for vocals would be the connection and sending the vocal signal to it so it still keeps the signal in tact.

Seems to be a totally nonexistent problem. We've had XLR to 1/4" cables for many, many years. And if my voice comes in too weak for the pedal to properly process, I could probably just send it through another pedal like my Boss DS-1 with zero distortion so it can just act like a signal booster, or something else if it's cheap enough to be worth buying for this purpose.
Quote by yamdiddle
I have a Boss Harmonist PS-6 and I was thinking of maybe getting a microphone to try to sing harmonizing/octaved lines sometimes. Would it work at all or does it have a much harder time detecting the pitch from a human voice than from a guitar signal, or is it more that it would give a shitty tone or what? I figured it has to work since it works perfectly fine with my guitar after going through a nearly maxed out distortion pedal. Has anyone here ever done it?

I imagine you'd get similar results (with vocals) to a point. It's extremely limited, however.

Compared to other vocal processors (like those from TC-Helicon), it's not even close. With the BOSS, you have the choice of maybe half a dozen basic harmonies and that's it. With other processors, your guitar or keyboard signal can trigger instantaneous changes in harmony on the fly. You can choose female or male voices for the harmonies. You can have several kinds of preset harmonies available, and you can work with the processor with your foot OR on a mike stand to be changed with your hand. Much more, including pitch correction, EQ, HardTune, compressor, looping, etc., all in a single unit.
I K0nijn I Not exactly, I'd still like to know how well it would actually work before I buy the rest of the stuff I need to try singing through it.
Quote by yamdiddle
I K0nijn I Not exactly, I'd still like to know how well it would actually work before I buy the rest of the stuff I need to try singing through it.

It's not a good solution for vocals. It's not even a mediocre solution for vocals. If you're going to do this, pick up one of the TC-Helicon pedals for the vocals and keep the Harmonist for the rare and occasional guitar use it will receive. The TC-Helicon setups are *far* more advanced.